Thread: The Ignorance of this Article

Default The Ignorance of this Article

Yes, this was 3 years ago, but I just found it. In here

Babies suck: The twisted history of pacifiers - Salon.com

this man is urging parents not to let their children use pacifiers or thumbsucking as they lead to masturbation later in life. If you don't want your child using pacifiers or sucking their thumbs, that's fine, that's your parenting issues, but how the f*** does pacifier sucking in infancy lead to masturbation in teen years. Last time I checked, teens will masturbate regardless. It's called hormones. At the peak of puberty I probably did it everyday for months. I didn't want to, but I couldn't control it. It's human nature as by the teen years we are very sexual. Honestly I don't think using a pacifier in my baby years has lead me to masturbate in my teen years. This man's ignorance is just vile and cruel.

You've misunderstood the article. The writer is not telling parents not to use pacifiers because they lead to masturbation, rather listing some of the stranger reasons people have been against them at different times in history.

... on the other hand I often suck my thumb while masturbating, so perhaps he's got a point? /takingthepiss
    In fact I only started doing that in my late teens so cart and horse on that one.

What Kimba said:

Quote Originally Posted by KimbaStarshine View Post
    You've misunderstood the article. The writer is not telling parents not to use pacifiers because they lead to masturbation, rather listing some of the stranger reasons people have been against them at different times in history.
    In fact the views you attribute to Nicholas Day, the contemporary parent assailed by a million anxieties and author of that article are in fact the views of a German paediatrician of 1879, one S. Lindner - details in this fascinating article
    Bad habits and pernicious results: thumb sucking and the discipline of late-nineteenth-century paediatrics - J Gillis

All this from a study that was done in 1879. How outdated is this study now.

I wonder what they would say about adults who suck their thumbs and suck on pacifiers? I would be one of them.