Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any linux fans?

Default Any linux fans?

I am using windows at the moment but I use Ubuntu a lot more than I use windows due to the ability to customize the deepest parts of the system. I am still learning how to work it through Terminal (Command line) but I am slowly getting there.

My ultimate project is to build an operating system that will be linux based and primarily command line with the exception with the mouse and the ability to open windows with a command like internet and other applications. The idea is to make it be able to make it hack proof for a game server and chat room. I may make it a forum but I need a topic or area where it will concentrate.

So any Linux users out there?

Quote Originally Posted by MLPPebble View Post
    I am using windows at the moment but I use Ubuntu a lot more than I use windows due to the ability to customize the deepest parts of the system. I am still learning how to work it through Terminal (Command line) but I am slowly getting there.

My ultimate project is to build an operating system that will be linux based and primarily command line with the exception with the mouse and the ability to open windows with a command like internet and other applications. The idea is to make it be able to make it hack proof for a game server and chat room. I may make it a forum but I need a topic or area where it will concentrate.

So any Linux users out there?
    I myself am still learning Ubuntu but i will keep you informed about my progress in discovering this issue.

One of the servers at work is running CentOS (a RedHat "clone", Opensource... Linux for servers...).
    And over the past twenty years I've tinkered with most of the distributions out there.

For me Linux is a brilliant operating system - albeit I stick it mostly on servers and only rarely on a desktop system.
    Well, some of the more advanced applications I have to use (CAD/CAM mostly) do NOT exist on Linux (yet) - which I find unfortunate.
    And I see not much virtue in Virtual-Machines, dual boot systems etc in a professional work environment.

I've set up a lot of desktop boxes for friends and small offices though running ubuntu linux mostly... why? it's free, resource friendly (old low tech PCs for office use), it's stable and the major office stuff like LibreOffice (one of the best Open source Word/Excel/... alternatives...) Web Browsing is all there.

Yeah... I played around with several distros, including Red Hat, Slackware, Puppy, SuSE, Zenwalk, Slax, DSL, Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu, etc. before settling on Arch Linux, which is easy-to-use, uncomplicated and gives you complete control over your system.

I tried Ubuntu (a long time ago) but I hated the way that it dumbed-down what was going on behind the scenes... In trying to be "easier" to use, it took away the fine level of control that you get with other distros. It's really bloated too. It seems like Linux for Windows users! But I guess they're doing something right since it's been incredibly popular from the moment it was released. That's the good thing about Linux -- there's a distro for (just about) everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by EPO1 View Post
    I've set up a lot of desktop boxes for friends and small offices though running ubuntu linux mostly... why? it's free, resource friendly (old low tech PCs for office use), it's stable and the major office stuff like LibreOffice (one of the best Open source Word/Excel/... alternatives...) Web Browsing is all there.
    Isn't that like saying, "I drive a Ford because all the major stuff like wheels, seats, brakes and an engine are all there."...?

The Linux version of LibreOffice and web browsers aren't designed for a specific Linux distro -- you can install them on any Linux box that meets the minimum spec and dependency requirements.

And I can't imagine that there are many (any?!) mainstream Linux distros that don't make LibreOffice available through the package manager's repositories...

Anyway... the only thing I don't like about Linux is that... despite using it for several years now... I still feel like a complete newbie!

I like the idea of Linux, and as far as production web servers go I never recommend anything else (for personal test web servers, I always cheat and use XAMPP for Windows because I'm a Linux newb). I've dabbled in Ubuntu, which I applaud, but won't use for reasons of its choice of default interface. I think I have an ancient version of Arch around here, but at the time found it mystical and reminiscent of some of my very early epic failures with Red Hat. I have enjoyed my time with Mint, which I semi successfully used as a media center for more than 6 months before chickening out and installing Vista (the hacky Netflix implementation was far from ideal and I had some other issues that I've since forgotten).

I've also enjoyed my time with Raspbian on my Raspberry Pi - I think it's a stripped down Debian release, and it's worked fairly well for me, though I don't indulge in Pi as much as I should.

Android is probably the Linux-kernel-driven OS I use the most - though what I've read and heard leads me to understand that the fact that it uses the Linux Kernel is almost inconsequential, since the entire OS is built on a Java stack, which could be built on any OS kernel.

I still use Windows primarily though. I'm a PC Gamer, and it's just really hard to be one of those outside of the Windows ecosystem. I really had high hopes that Gabe Newell could effect his anti-Windows coup with more success, and I suppose it's still very early to call it a failure - but I still haven't switched.

I also tried almost every one of the distrowatch top 15 linux distros. Currently I have a debian box that I'm using as a NAS and for testing server things. My Laptop runs Ubuntu although I'm not really happy with it. I tried arch before and successfully installed it but I kind of gave up on the additional configurations that I wanted to do...

Quote Originally Posted by tiny
    Anyway... the only thing I don't like about Linux is that... despite using it for several years now... I still feel like a complete newbie!
    Yes, that is exactly what I found I've been hacking with linux for a bit over a year now and I feel like a ultra noob^^

One with ubuntu 12.04 (and sometimes wifiway...)

Just I hate windows, no another alternative at PC (Mac is so expensive for me...)

Although I don't have much of a use for Linux these days, I was a huge fan during college (mid 90's) and was one of the original members of my college's Linux Users Group. Red Hat 3.03 saved me from a semester of sitting in an 80-degree (F) lab full of ancient HP 9000 equipment.

These days, being a Windows software developer and a digital video fanatic, I find that Windows and Mac OS have things covered in ways that Linux can still only aspire to at this point. Don't get me wrong; I think Linux is technically great, but for all its fancy desktop environments, its desktop app library is still very niche. It's funny to say, but there just aren't enough non-free apps for it, and the freebies are mostly clunky clones of non-free stuff. Ever try to do anything serious in Gimp? I rest my case!

If I was setting up a web server, though...

Used various distros for about 8 years now. First to get my attention was the Knoppix live CD, which then became a Kanotix dual boot. Many others have come and gone, and I'm now using Mint 13. Not the most up to date, but then for what I use it for, it doesn't need to be, so I've vowed to simply leave it alone! I do have the nagging concern that Mint is becoming too bloated for my needs, so may well yet try something else in time. Had a Debian Fluxbox install running for a while, but again, there were just little things that would never quite work properly, so always ended up reverting to Mint. Might have to try dual booting something lighter at some stage. Arch certainly appeals.