Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: It is time to just be Human beings.

  1. #1

    Default It is time to just be Human beings.

    Lately there have been a plethora of articles about introversion. All of them seem to come from the standpoint that introverts are persecuted and the world needs to be made aware of them because, poor kids, they just can't do it for themselves.

    One Tumblr post must have resulted in a landslide of bloggers shaking with anticipation and desire to jump on the bandwagon. And like any viral trend, the backlash was inevitable. And fierce. I have seen as many articles about extroverts lately as well. One in particular was extremely offensive to... humans in general. Not going to name names, but *cough* 15 Unmistakable, Outrageously Secret Signs You're an Extrovert *cough*...



    All this mania about who is an introvert... extrovert... something in the middle vert... Why do we feel the need to focus on everything that creates division in relationships?

    I remember having a conversation with my friend, who is friendly, outgoing, smart, endearingly opinionated, and an extremely talented public speaker, in which she claimed to be "Somewhere in the middle" between an extrovert and an introvert. All I could remember thinking is "If you are in any way introverted, then what does that make me?"

    I am the poster boy for introversion in many ways. I get my energy from study, solitude, art, and creativity. I give my energy away to others in social situations. Often, these situations leave me feeling drained. But I don't consider that a bad thing! I am very conscious of how and when I give my energy away and I make sure I do it for a good reason. I am practiced enough at this that I no longer feel like I used to: That I am wasting myself when I do so.

    I can say with confidence that I am a true introvert.

    Yet, do I seem to exhibit behaviors that most would say are not the signs of introversion? I keep a blog. I write constantly about film, life, and other topics. I have learned how to share about myself like 'normal' individuals.

    All these things suggest extroversion right? Right?...



    No. They don't.

    And why should they?



    We are human beings. We are all unique. And quite frankly, we have grossly misappropriated the meaning of the distinction between extroversion and introversion. These are simply character traits folks. Granted, they are important and far-reaching traits that inform much of the rest of our personalities, but they are only a piece of the puzzle nonetheless.

    Here is what the apostle Paul has to say about this:



    "For just as the body is one and has many members, and all the members of the body, though many, are one body, so it is with Christ. For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—Jews or Greeks, slaves or free—and all were made to drink of one Spirit.

    For the body does not consist of one member but of many. If the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,” that would not make it any less a part of the body. And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body,” that would not make it any less a part of the body. If the whole body were an eye, where would be the sense of hearing? If the whole body were an ear, where would be the sense of smell? But as it is, God arranged the members in the body, each one of them, as he chose. If all were a single member, where would the body be? As it is, there are many parts, yet one body.

    The eye cannot say to the hand, “I have no need of you,” nor again the head to the feet, “I have no need of you.” On the contrary, the parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, and on those parts of the body that we think less honorable we bestow the greater honor, and our unpresentable parts are treated with greater modesty, which our more presentable parts do not require. But God has so composed the body, giving greater honor to the part that lacked it, that there may be no division in the body, but that the members may have the same care for one another. If one member suffers, all suffer together; if one member is honored, all rejoice together." - 1 Corinthians 12:12-26



    So, please, can we stop focusing on what makes us divided? Unity is the rally cry of the Church, not Better/Worse!

    We ALL have a use, we ALL have a purpose!

    Let us all treat each other in light of that truth! Whether one is introverted or extroverted, he/she should be appreciated and loved for that fact, whichever it may be!



    It is time to just be human beings

  2. #2

    Default

    Starting in on this thread, I thought it might be helpful to you if I linked this article: Caring for Your Introvert - Jonathan Rauch - The Atlantic (I think this is the third time I've linked on this site over the years). As I read further, I saw that you've got a good handle on it but it may still be of use to someone else as I still see introvert/extrovert described in different ways. I see it less as a dividing line or even a means of categorization but an explanation for why people do some of the things they do. There are certainly many different labels we can and do apply to ourselves or that others put on us. I find this a useful one when explaining to some people why I may not be seeking social interaction at a certain time but be totally up for it on other occasions. These things should all be tools for our use and not boxes to define us.

  3. #3

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Starting in on this thread, I thought it might be helpful to you if I linked this article: Caring for Your Introvert - Jonathan Rauch - The Atlantic (I think this is the third time I've linked on this site over the years). As I read further, I saw that you've got a good handle on it but it may still be of use to someone else as I still see introvert/extrovert described in different ways. I see it less as a dividing line or even a means of categorization but an explanation for why people do some of the things they do. There are certainly many different labels we can and do apply to ourselves or that others put on us. I find this a useful one when explaining to some people why I may not be seeking social interaction at a certain time but be totally up for it on other occasions. These things should all be tools for our use and not boxes to define us.
    I remember reading that article awhile back. It was good to see it again, almost forgot about it. Every article seems to describe introvert/extrovert differently, but they all seem to lead the same main points.

    My main purpose was to kind of point out that over the past several weeks I have seen people that will use introversion as an excuse to not have to do something. My friend is guilty of it, I will even admit I am guilty of it from time to time. I don't believe that we should use labels as an excuse though. It can be very helpful to help describe ourselves indeed, but the moment we stop using it for that, we lose the purpose of its intended meaning

  4. #4

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by FauxPas View Post
    I remember reading that article awhile back. It was good to see it again, almost forgot about it. Every article seems to describe introvert/extrovert differently, but they all seem to lead the same main points.

    My main purpose was to kind of point out that over the past several weeks I have seen people that will use introversion as an excuse to not have to do something. My friend is guilty of it, I will even admit I am guilty of it from time to time. I don't believe that we should use labels as an excuse though. It can be very helpful to help describe ourselves indeed, but the moment we stop using it for that, we lose the purpose of its intended meaning
    Regardless of our advantages and disadvantages, we've all have to live up to our responsibilities. Knowing I'm an introvert typically means that I know what will make me feel better after I exert myself in the performance of those responsibilities. It also reminds me to value the heck out of those friends who I can spend time with and be at ease.

  5. #5

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by FauxPas View Post
    My main purpose was to kind of point out that over the past several weeks I have seen people that will use introversion as an excuse to not have to do something. My friend is guilty of it, I will even admit I am guilty of it from time to time. I don't believe that we should use labels as an excuse though.
    I guess my question is "an excuse not to do what?" Usually introverts are well known for giving out excuses for why they aren't going to a party. What's wrong with not going to a party? So what? Why should anyone for guilty for the way they spend their own free time? Isn't that just misplaced anger at people failing to meet the status quo?

    I don't think it's fair that the general public dictates what's supposed to be fun for me. I'm not going to tie you to a chair and force you to read a book if you hate reading. So don't drag me kicking and screaming to a party, or out to a bar. Just because approximately 75% of the population (is that still the general amount of extroverts?) agree that parties are freaking awesome, doesn't mean that I have to agree. It's awesome for THEM. Go have fun, guys! I'll usually stay home, unless it's your birthday and we're best buddies, and you better freaking believe I worked my butt off all night to stay at that party and pretend I had fun.

    My mother, an extrovert, gets on my case about this about every week or so. She'll say, "All you did today was hang out in your room alone all day." And of course I was smiling and thinking how great my day had been. But she was worried about me. "Why don't you try to get out more? Are you depressed? Don't be depressed."

    Just because person A would be sad and bored in their room all day, doesn't mean person B is sad and bored in their room all day. And the MAIN POINT is that it's not up to person A to dictate how person B spends their leisure time, is it? Just as the reverse is not true.

    I think all the articles and everything is because a great percentage of people aren't great with understanding something different to them. Especially not something that's a personality trait in a minority of people rather than the majority. This causes a ton of problems for introverts especially. They are in the minority. People don't understand. Introverts repeatedly have to exhaust all their energy trying to meet the standards of socially acceptable behavior in society. We have to often pretend to be something we're not.

    Maybe the articles are helping, and you're thinking "Okay okay we all know the difference, now. Thanks." But if it wasn't for a lot of these articles or popular books on the topic, so many people would still not understand. I have to explain this concept that I'm happiest and most energetic on my own or just with one friend at a time, about weekly or even more often to my extrovert mom. My therapist tried explaining it to her, too, TWICE, and it made no difference. It's not the way she views the world - therefore it makes no sense. I also have to explain it constantly to my sister, who frequently stops talking to me because she thinks my introversion means I don't like her. (She once stopped talking to me for a full year because I didn't go to a night club with her after having spent the whole day and evening out with her and her friends.) She's an extreme example, though. But truly, most people think you're a pathetic sad sack if you stay home on a Friday, and that's pretty annoying by itself.

    I think an excess of anything can be aggravating, sure. You're saying there's an excess of these articles. OK. It's popular and trending, perhaps, and we all get tired of popular, trending stuff. Anyone voluntarily listen to Gangnam Style recently? Didn't think so.

    But it sure would be nice if people understood each other. That would be great. A plethora of articles, sure, but my own family and a few extroverted friends couldn't understand this topic if their lives depended on it. Luckily I cannot imagine a scenario in which this would come up!

    Excuses, though? Excuses not to do things? How should we be spending our free time, then? What would you say is the best way?

  6. #6

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Frogsy View Post
    I guess my question is "an excuse not to do what?" Usually introverts are well known for giving out excuses for why they aren't going to a party. What's wrong with not going to a party? So what? Why should anyone for guilty for the way they spend their own free time? Isn't that just misplaced anger at people failing to meet the status quo?

    I don't think it's fair that the general public dictates what's supposed to be fun for me. I'm not going to tie you to a chair and force you to read a book if you hate reading. So don't drag me kicking and screaming to a party, or out to a bar. Just because approximately 75% of the population (is that still the general amount of extroverts?) agree that parties are freaking awesome, doesn't mean that I have to agree. It's awesome for THEM. Go have fun, guys! I'll usually stay home, unless it's your birthday and we're best buddies, and you better freaking believe I worked my butt off all night to stay at that party and pretend I had fun.

    My mother, an extrovert, gets on my case about this about every week or so. She'll say, "All you did today was hang out in your room alone all day." And of course I was smiling and thinking how great my day had been. But she was worried about me. "Why don't you try to get out more? Are you depressed? Don't be depressed."

    Just because person A would be sad and bored in their room all day, doesn't mean person B is sad and bored in their room all day. And the MAIN POINT is that it's not up to person A to dictate how person B spends their leisure time, is it? Just as the reverse is not true.

    I think all the articles and everything is because a great percentage of people aren't great with understanding something different to them. Especially not something that's a personality trait in a minority of people rather than the majority. This causes a ton of problems for introverts especially. They are in the minority. People don't understand. Introverts repeatedly have to exhaust all their energy trying to meet the standards of socially acceptable behavior in society. We have to often pretend to be something we're not.

    Maybe the articles are helping, and you're thinking "Okay okay we all know the difference, now. Thanks." But if it wasn't for a lot of these articles or popular books on the topic, so many people would still not understand. I have to explain this concept that I'm happiest and most energetic on my own or just with one friend at a time, about weekly or even more often to my extrovert mom. My therapist tried explaining it to her, too, TWICE, and it made no difference. It's not the way she views the world - therefore it makes no sense. I also have to explain it constantly to my sister, who frequently stops talking to me because she thinks my introversion means I don't like her. (She once stopped talking to me for a full year because I didn't go to a night club with her after having spent the whole day and evening out with her and her friends.) She's an extreme example, though. But truly, most people think you're a pathetic sad sack if you stay home on a Friday, and that's pretty annoying by itself.

    I think an excess of anything can be aggravating, sure. You're saying there's an excess of these articles. OK. It's popular and trending, perhaps, and we all get tired of popular, trending stuff. Anyone voluntarily listen to Gangnam Style recently? Didn't think so.

    But it sure would be nice if people understood each other. That would be great. A plethora of articles, sure, but my own family and a few extroverted friends couldn't understand this topic if their lives depended on it. Luckily I cannot imagine a scenario in which this would come up!

    Excuses, though? Excuses not to do things? How should we be spending our free time, then? What would you say is the best way?
    You completely 100% missed my whole point to my original post. This entire thing was written based off the fact that people are using introversion and extroversion as a barrier between each other. Yes I have seen people use it as an excuse. When I say that I mean, I have heard a friend of mine actually say word for word "I'm not going, because I am an introvert"

    I'm not saying that anyone should be forced to do anything. Please point out to me where I said this? You completely missed my point. Please take a breath a re read my OP.

    Understand that I don't care how many articles are made, but it seems as if people are getting so involved with what they are, they are forgetting they are HUMAN and are more than just a label. That's what my OP is about, that's my issue with it. Not that I want society to see me a certain way, Not so my friends will understand why I sit alone. But to stop hiding behind labels.

    Please note also my OP does not complain about the amount of articles. I am not annoyed by the articles. I am annoyed by the misuse of the information in said articles.

  7. #7

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by FauxPas View Post
    You completely 100% missed my whole point to my original post. This entire thing was written based off the fact that people are using introversion and extroversion as a barrier between each other. Yes I have seen people use it as an excuse. When I say that I mean, I have heard a friend of mine actually say word for word "I'm not going, because I am an introvert"
    That's what I meant, though. So what if your friend doesn't want to go out to wherever the fuck you want to go? So what? Why is it that you're appearing to judge him/her for his/her decision not to go somewhere? What should he/she be doing in his/her spare time that would be more suitable?

    I mean no disrespect and I didn't actually write my above post with any hard feelings towards you. I'm sorry if I misunderstood your first post. But I'm not exactly sure you are being fair when you say that introverts are 'making excuses' like as if there's something they need to be 'excused' from? So what? They don't want to go out with you. Big deal. They want to explain it by saying they get tired from all this going out. Okay? So?

    I find it sad they have to even add anything to their 'no.' They said no. They're not going. Why should they even have to add more to their 'no.'?

    It's probably because people don't understand unless they do.

    It would be great if everyone accepted each other as people. But whenever people are different and don't meet expectations, then other people get all bothered by it.

  8. #8

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Frogsy View Post
    That's what I meant, though. So what if your friend doesn't want to go out to wherever the fuck you want to go? So what? Why is it that you're appearing to judge him/her for his/her decision not to go somewhere? What should he/she be doing in his/her spare time that would be more suitable?

    I mean no disrespect and I didn't actually write my above post with any hard feelings towards you. I'm sorry if I misunderstood your first post. But I'm not exactly sure you are being fair when you say that introverts are 'making excuses' like as if there's something they need to be 'excused' from? So what? They don't want to go out with you. Big deal. They want to explain it by saying they get tired from all this going out. Okay? So?

    I find it sad they have to even add anything to their 'no.' They said no. They're not going. Why should they even have to add more to their 'no.'?

    It's probably because people don't understand unless they do.

    It would be great if everyone accepted each other as people. But whenever people are different and don't meet expectations, then other people get all bothered by it.
    I'm not in anyway judging my friend. Again you jump to conclusions. Slow down and read what I wrote. My friend using word for word "I'm an introvert" is the issue I have. We should not be hiding behind labels. I wasn't asking my friend to go anywhere either, this was a conversation I was present at. Don't be so quick to pass judgement yourself.

    If someone tells me they don't want to do something, I don't press further. PLEASE READ MY OP. I too am an introvert, I hate going out. I DON'T USE THAT AS AN EXCUSE NOT TO GO THOUGH.

    Saying you are an introvert should not be used as an excuse. Do you get what I am saying. The label of Introvert and Extrovert is dividing people.

  9. #9

    Default

    It's cool Faux, I'm not as angry as you imply I am! Lol. I disagree with you, though.

    The problem is that the system you wish were true isn't true. Your scenario works in a perfect world.

    "Why aren't you going to the movies with us dude?"

    "Because I'm HUMAN!!!!!!!!"

    Does that make any sense in today's world? Maybe later it would. It doesn't now, though. People don't understand as much about it as they'd need to in order for them to drop all labels. As it stands, now, I don't really come across many people in my own life who even know what introvert means without me quickly defining it - or just not even using the word at all!

    Try it with other labels.

    "Why are shaking and sweating and can't talk to those people?"

    "Because... I'm HUMAN!!!"

    No, because I'm having a panic attack. Because I'm anxious. Sometimes people need explanations. When all the understanding and acceptance is there, THEN we don't need labels. But when there's little understanding and little acceptance, we need to explain things. To explain anything, you need words. Words, create labels.
    Last edited by Frogsy; 28-Aug-2013 at 01:13. Reason: my bad my aren't was an are by typo'ing.

  10. #10

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Frogsy View Post
    It's cool Faux, I'm not as angry as you imply I am! Lol. I disagree with you, though.

    The problem is that the system you wish were true isn't true. Your scenario works in a perfect world.

    "Why aren't you going to the movies with us dude?"

    "Because I'm HUMAN!!!!!!!!"

    Does that make any sense in today's world? Maybe later it would. It doesn't now, though. People don't understand as much about it as they'd need to in order for them to drop all labels. As it stands, now, I don't really come across many people in my own life who even know what introvert means without me quickly defining it - or just not even using the word at all!

    Try it with other labels.

    "Why are shaking and sweating and can't talk to those people?"

    "Because... I'm HUMAN!!!"

    No, because I'm having a panic attack. Because I'm anxious. Sometimes people need explanations. When all the understanding and acceptance is there, THEN we don't need labels. But when there's little understanding and little acceptance, we need to explain things. To explain anything, you need words. Words, create labels.
    Again you misinterpret what I mean by being Human. When I say we are Human, I mean we are more than just a list of personality traits that when people read that list, they feel like they have to follow it to the letter or else they won't be an "introvert" or an "extrovert" I am not saying that our excuses should be "because I'm human" you really are over thinking this and making situations that will never occur.

    Labels should not lead to excuses.

    But like I keep saying, we don't need to live by the label. I don't think your angry though, but you are reading way to much into my posts.

Similar Threads

  1. Hello im a Human with the name Jakob
    By SonicundMario in forum Greetings / Introductions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-Aug-2012, 05:29
  2. Deus Ex Human Revolution
    By FootieCrinkle in forum Computers & Gaming
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-Mar-2012, 17:20
  3. Human Enhancement, Eungenics and everything else.
    By Fire2box in forum Mature Topics
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 21-Sep-2011, 04:42
  4. Human Evolution
    By Snaps in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: 03-Jun-2010, 00:25

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.