Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will I ever Win the lottery?

Default Will I ever Win the lottery?

I remember the old days of my dad sitting at the kitchen table, filling out and... sadly.... yes... BUYING things from Publishers Clearinghouse because he thought it would increase his odds of winning the sweepstakes.

Before anyone jumps to conclusions, PCH (Publishers Clearinghouse) IS a legitimate sweepstakes company that has been around for ages.

....I recently stumbled upon they're website... PCH.com and fell into the same loop as my dad. (Without the spending money part.) I started to enter the sweepstakes daily, which is neat because you can put more than one entry into it... = more chances to win.

So.... my point of all of this is... I wondered if I could SEE the possible results of days or even years of entering the lottery. I concluded that it all comes down to mathematical equations. I am bad at math, but good at programming the computer to deal with the hard stuff... so I made a basic lottery calculator.

It will calculate the odds of you winning the lottery of 1 in 30,000 or any number you desire. 1 in 700,000 for instance.

You need the VB runtime files to use this program, which are available from Microsoft.

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...US/VBRun60.exe

I may alter the program for multiple entries or any other ideas you guys might have. Feel free to post your results or screen shots!

P.S.

If it takes too many entries the program has an auto death feature. After a certain number of years the program assumes you died before finally winning...... Yep... that is an Epic FAIL.

http://www.babymitchy.com/Lotto/LottoTest2013.exe

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lottotestsn.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	18150
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lottotestsnavast.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	18151

here in michigan, it is commonly said that you have a better chance of being hit by lightning than winning the Michigan Lottery.

You'd have better chances to win a poker game with satan himself... as a friend of mine used to say

Fingers crossed for me first Babymitchy then fingers crossed on my other hand for you!

According to my father, who's a bit of a maths nerd, it's statistically impossible to win most lotteries. Not literally of course, but the probability is so small it would be easier to round to 0.

Well, if you're in Georgia, you pretty much have to live near Atlanta. Until the day I die, I'll believe the damn thing is rigged.

Ya can't loose if you don't play! The opposite applies as well of course but some common sense is is a good thing. Do not bet your future on winning, free enterys are great, don't spent more on tickets than you can afford to lose. I blow 4 to 10 dollars a week on lotto tickets depending on my mood & winnings and lose a few hundred a year but it gives me a dream of hope to retire early that is worth the losses.

Apparently if you played the 6/49 (a Canadian loto) twice a week every week since Jesus Christ was born your odds of ever winning would still be less than one in one thousand...

The lottery is a losing proposition, unless you are the house.

Astra

Quote Originally Posted by Near View Post
    The lottery is a losing proposition, unless you are the house.
    It's actually possible to beat the lottery if you're a math/statistics whiz. This woman did it:
    Joan Ginther Wins Texas Lottery 4 Times

She seems to have mapped out where past winners were located and gotten a rough sense of how the Texas lottery distributes winning tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by Astra View Post
    It's actually possible to beat the lottery if you're a math/statistics whiz. This woman did it:
    Joan Ginther Wins Texas Lottery 4 Times

She seems to have mapped out where past winners were located and gotten a rough sense of how the Texas lottery distributes winning tickets.
    Distributing winning tickets based on anything other than RNG is really, incredibly fucking stupid.