Thread: RE: "Commode Chair(s)", A.K.A. "Potty Chair for Grownups"

Default RE: "Commode Chair(s)", A.K.A. "Potty Chair for Grownups"

Here @ home in the Cellar part of the Basement, next to the Den, I have my "late" Mom's old "Commode Chair", A.K.A. an "Adult Potty Chair".

With the Downstairs Den being my primary living area, where I can pursue my hobbies, ect, this "Adult Potty Chair" has become my "primary" daytime diaper changing place.

Anyone else have an adult potty chair?

We had one of those when I was a young one. When we moved to town in 1942 our first house was a rent house that didn't have hot water or a toilet. I know mom and dad
    used it at night instead of going to the outhouse. I know I used a potty until I was 5 years old when my parents bought their first house which had full plumbing.
    Mom used to put the adult potty in our bedrooms if we were sick and couldn't make it to the bathroom. I think the chair part of finally broke up but I know she kept
    the "thunder mug". I think she finally used it for a flower pot.

I'm confused. How can a potty chair be a place to change a diaper?

Quote Originally Posted by Inconinmiss View Post
    I'm confused. How can a potty chair be a place to change a diaper?
    I think that's the room where he keeps the potty chair and changes his diaper. He is Autistic and has Cebral Palsy. He spends a lot of his time in the basement that he calls his den.

I recently purchased a "porta potty" - the little ones used for camping.
    This house has 1 bathroom, I now keep the mini potty in a spare bedroom just in case I have an "urge" (aka "30 seconds to 3 minute warning") while someone is in the shower, etc.

We went on a car trip recently, and it came in handy during an urge situation. Quickly pulled over to the side of the road, held up an old bedsheet for some privacy, BM.
    (Mini pack of flushable wipes + mini packets of antibacterial hand wipes also came in handy.)
    Last edited by Geeky; 27-Aug-2013 at 21:52. Reason: Added "for some privacy"

Quote Originally Posted by TCWWITHAUTISMANDCP View Post
    Here @ home in the Cellar part of the Basement, next to the Den, I have my "late" Mom's old "Commode Chair", A.K.A. an "Adult Potty Chair".

With the Downstairs Den being my primary living area, where I can pursue my hobbies, ect, this "Adult Potty Chair" has become my "primary" daytime diaper changing place.

Anyone else have an adult potty chair?
    My late grandmother had a commode-chair in her bedroom too, she was fully continent but it was to save her the trouble of getting to the bathroom late at night because she had bad arthritis and was a falling-risk: she lived alone.

All I remember about it was the smell - it was horrible. It wasn't a smell of urine or disinfectant, but something else - possibly a gelling material put into the commode or a bad air-freshener? In any event, entering my grandmother's bedroom wasn't a pleasant experience for me.

My mother grew up in the old city slums of Lincoln, in a back-to-back terraced house with no running water or electricity. I remember when I was about four years old, going to that street with Mum when she went to visit an elderly friend who still lived there. This old lady had a commode in the house because the only toilet was in a little shed in the back yard so she would use the commode at night instead of getting dressed and going outside. I couldn't understand why there wasn't a proper indoors toilet. There wasn't even a tap in the kitchen sink, she had to take a bucket to the pump at the end of the street to fetch water, and heat it up on the wood-burning stove.

And no, this wasn't 1930-something, this was 1970.

The slums were demolished shortly after that, the little old lady moved into sheltered accommodation with electricity and running water and an indoor toilet. She died not long after. Like a plant that had its roots torn out of the ground.

I have one next to my bed at home. It is very convenient sometimes.