Thread: Is using old baby powder a good idea ?

Default Is using old baby powder a good idea ?

Lately I have been starting to run a little low on baby powder, I recently got a job but will have to wait a week & a half . I have a friend that knows this side of me and supports me emotionally at times when I am feeling down . He said I could have it, but the only thing is that it's from 1997 . I don't wanna end up with a really bad rash or for it to have other harmfull effects on my body . It also has no expiration date on it to. Anybody know if it would be allright to use ?

Ummm.... I'm pretty sure talc is a mineral. So in theory it should be okay. Do a test first?

Even if it's cornstarch it should be okay. Baby powder doesn't really go bad, at worst it might not be as effective. You could also get a trial size at your local big box store for a buck if you can scrounge up some change. Even a big container of store brand shouldn't run you more than $2.

Talc isn't good for you though...that's why most baby powders have been switching to a cornstarch base. Talc exposure has been linked to pneumonia, asthma, skin conditions, and even cancer.

I don't think there is anything in it that can go bad. It might not smell as nice as it did in 1997 but it should work.

Quote Originally Posted by Paxy View Post
    Talc isn't good for you though...that's why most baby powders have been switching to a cornstarch base. Talc exposure has been linked to pneumonia, asthma, skin conditions, and even cancer.
    Not true... you can easily find many powders for adults and babies made from talc - more are than aren't I would say. I have never heard of anyone getting pneumonia from talc - and in fact it is used in certain medical procedures (pleurodesis)... if it is a trigger for your asthma then avoid it, as for cancer, no conclusive proof that it causes it at all (not even for talc miners who get exposed to the stuff with asbestos from the mines)...

Talcum Powder and Cancer

Baby powder is usually either talc ("with fragrance added") or corn starch (often with aloe vera added) Talc is cooler, smells better imho, costs more, isn't heathy to inhale much of, and problem skin (rash, irritated, etc) will react badly with it. Corn starch is better if your skin is being a bit sensitive, cheap by the big containers at wallymart, seems to react better to wetting, but isn't as smooth as talc. Call it a preference, or a choice based on circumstances. I keep both on hand. If my skin is a bit irritated (or I intend to wet, which can lead to irritation) I go with corn starch. Otherwise, I prefer talc.

Thank you all for your help and that's a good idea Bambinod, to use it as circumstances dictate . I still am a little hesitate to use baby powder with talc in it, but by the way it sounds more would rub into the skin, rather then inside the body. So I'm kewl with that

It should be fine
    I don't think baby powders go bad
    if it was from 30 or 40 years ago I'm not sure I would use it
    but from the 1999's should be fine

I bought the Up and Up brand at Target , it works pretty good after awhile now of using it. I have found at least for me is that the stuff that has 4.5 % of talc in it: works better over the long run with less rashes, compared to the regular corn starch based powder.