Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Penmanship? A lost art?

Smile Penmanship? A lost art?

Hey guys!

I've began to observe my surroundings in the classroom more and more as I've become older. This year I noticed that my habit of ensuring my handwriting is legible and neat has gone quite a bit over the top when you consider they are only classroom notes.

I also have started noticing that people habitually use the same pen over and over again until it is either out of ink or they lose it. That has been the case with me however considering I prefer to write using a classic piston filling fountain pen I am sure to not lose it. Yikes if I did as my newer pens cost quite a bit when compared to a ball-point pens which are a fraction of the price.

Do any of you share this little oddity with me? I feel I may be taking this a step far by considering it calligraphy as I've never formally set out to purely create calligraphy, however my normal writing is an italic hand with clearly defined lettering patterns and accents.

What say you on your handwriting/ penmanship?

Is penmanship truly a lost and dead art?

Nope, in fact, writing is a lost art. Modern people aren't even able to express themselves in complete sentences, lapsing into text-message speak.

I have tons of fountain pens, both classic ones (Parker 51's, Vacuumatics, etc) and some modern one like the giant Omas 360 (My Pen Is Enormous) and some Viscontis.

i can draw like da Vinci, but my general handwriting is terrible. never figured out why.
    and not that i can't write neatly (and legibly, of course), but it kills me to do so.

in my old primary school, i was one of the last to 'graduate' from writing with a pencil to a pen, but that achievement fell apart when i changed school and nobody there wrote with pens.

in my late teens, i had an introductory course to calligraphy which i enjoyed massively.

nowadays, i hardly write at all; perhaps a shopping list or a poem (if the mood takes me).

My handwriting has always been terrible. Writing in general seems to be fading outside of formal situations. When I first started college it was easy to tell who was at what level just by reading a paragraph they'd written. Outside of honors/AP classes writing styles/conventions are not taught. There are students attending college who couldn't tell you the difference between a hyperbole and an anecdote, much less Pathos, Logos, and Ethos.

I have no reason to spend the effort required to develop good handwriting; the only things I ever need to write by hand are equations (LaTeX is a pain). I can comfortably type 100WPM (110 on a good day), which is far faster than I could ever hope to write by hand, with very nearly no effort. Why should I bother to practice a very nearly obsolete method of generating text?

Quote Originally Posted by Cauthon View Post
    My handwriting has always been terrible. Writing in general seems to be fading outside of formal situations. When I first started college it was easy to tell who was at what level just by reading a paragraph they'd written. Outside of honors/AP classes writing styles/conventions are not taught. There are students attending college who couldn't tell you the difference between a hyperbole and an anecdote, much less Pathos, Logos, and Ethos.
    Handwriting has fuck all to do with rhetoric.

Also, rhetoric is a Dark Art, and in an ideal world wouldn't be taught at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenterro View Post
    Hey guys!

I've began to observe my surroundings in the classroom more and more as I've become older. This year I noticed that my habit of ensuring my handwriting is legible and neat has gone quite a bit over the top when you consider they are only classroom notes.

I also have started noticing that people habitually use the same pen over and over again until it is either out of ink or they lose it. That has been the case with me however considering I prefer to write using a classic piston filling fountain pen I am sure to not lose it. Yikes if I did as my newer pens cost quite a bit when compared to a ball-point pens which are a fraction of the price.

Do any of you share this little oddity with me? I feel I may be taking this a step far by considering it calligraphy as I've never formally set out to purely create calligraphy, however my normal writing is an italic hand with clearly defined lettering patterns and accents.

What say you on your handwriting/ penmanship?

This an uber interesting topic (to me at least).

Yes penmanship is sadly a lost art. I have a few of my grandmothers letters to her eventual husband and I have marveled in it's delicateness and fluent ways. I have over the years marvelled at such penmanship and wondered how fast the internet will kill it off.

As for the type of pen, (feather, quill, calligraphy, ball-point, saturated tip, or cartridge fed) I am interested in all of it. The art of writing is an expression. It is a sacrificed amount of time to express one's thoughts on paper. It can be highly expressive, kinda' like a signature. It has a genuine touch of personality.

I also have an affinity for such finely crafted tools. Tools of practicality to tools of high level of precision machining. I regard my writing utensils as highly as my aircraft-grade machined flashlights or firearms. They are tools. Tools for purpose and trusted to perform as advertised when needed.

These tools are tangible. They are not a wash of digital bytes instructed by keystrokes on a computer keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenterro View Post
    I used to dream of being able to write nicely when I was at school as my handwriting was all over the place but due to being hypermobile, I can't hold a pen stable enough to make a straight line with a ruler.

I love medieval history so I've spent a fair amount of time looking at illuminated manuscripts and its always fascinated me how something as simple as the written language can be made into such breathtaking works of art.

I don't think penmanship is a dead art but it sure isn't as widespread as it once was and I don't think it will ever be as popular again. The convenience of typing compared to the years of practice to write by hand means our grandchildren will never marvel at the beauty of our love letters.

Damn it, that sounds bloody miserable for them.

I grew up at the end of the age of fountain pens. In third grade every classroom had a bottle of ink and we were required to use a fountain pen. I also remember many leaks. Remember the cartridge pens. They were really bad for leaks.
    In Jr high I started to use a Parker T-Ball jotter ball point and still use one today. I worked outside in all kinds of weather and no matter how wet, cold, or what ever it works.
    Not long ago I looked on line for a fountain pen and was surprised at the cost. They are also hard to get.

There are some decent inexpensive fountain pens out there. Those old shaeffer cartridge things we used in school were admittedly the worst thing. While Staples has very few, there are some real good places on the internet to get them.

Quote Originally Posted by willnotwill View Post
    Nope, in fact, writing is a lost art. Modern people aren't even able to express themselves in complete sentences, lapsing into text-message speak.
    ^This right here. I see way too many people tlkn lik dis 2 gt thar stce acrs their lz or igrnt 4 sm resn idky tho.

Ok, be honest, could anybody make out what the eff I was saying in that last sentence? I have a friend who types like this ALL the time. It got to the point I told him don't bother messaging me until he learns to use proper grammar. I understand its not a College level English report, but at least make half an attempt to type correctly.