Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GCSB Bill.

Default GCSB Bill.

I know we've had a lot of debate on issues such as these lately, but as this affects my country personally, I felt inclined to post, and see what others think. Basically, the bill gives the GCSB, the Government Communications Security Bureau, the right to legally spy on NZers. This was previously illegal; and is one of the reasons why Kim Dotcom was unable to be extradited, due to the illegality of the surveillance used to collect data against him. Here's a link to a good article I think sums up the matter nicely.

Demystifying the GCSB bill: Spies and Lies | Stuff.co.nz

Oh and personally I'm against the bill, rights and all that, you know.

on a slightly unrelated note I give my respect to Kim Dotcom. He well and truly exposed what a pack of wankers our government is made up of.

I am also against the GCSB bill. For me it feels like the USA want NZ to do this, and our current government is more than happy to drop it's pants because USA say so.

I want NZ to make is own decision, not do things because China/USA/UK/etc say so. I am starting to feel the current government is a sell out, look at the convention center in Auckland. The snapper quota thing, i been told there is some connect between commercial fisheries and the goverment, either in the sense of a large donation made to national party or something similar. The dot com thing only happened because NZ wanted to please USA

John Key is a muppet.

The only people to understand this bill appears to be John Key
    The blatant lies about what the money gained from wholesale asset sales (Ok, Ok, this one is Bill English) - Being used to pay off foreign debt, yeah right.
    And now, we have this utter gem: NZ Herald: New Zealand's Latest News, Business, Sport, Weather, Travel, Technology, Entertainment, Politics, Finance, Health, Environment and Science "Mr Speaker. it may or may not be fair" - Followed by the fastest ducking into his chair ever seen.

I'm wondering if the snapper debate was enough to tie up approx. 1 million people's (number of people who rec. fish, whose rights are being trampled on) opinions long enough to get the GCSB bill passed.

*For the sake of balance, I will admit that 1/2 of my family are long-time labour supporters. Any wonder why?

Quote Originally Posted by huskvarna View Post
    on a slightly unrelated note I give my respect to Kim Dotcom. He well and truly exposed what a pack of wankers our government is made up of.
    Agreed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by okram View Post
    John Key is a muppet.

The only people to understand this bill appears to be John Key
    The blatant lies about what the money gained from wholesale asset sales (Ok, Ok, this one is Bill English) - Being used to pay off foreign debt, yeah right.
    And now, we have this utter gem: NZ Herald: New Zealand's Latest News, Business, Sport, Weather, Travel, Technology, Entertainment, Politics, Finance, Health, Environment and Science "Mr Speaker. it may or may not be fair" - Followed by the fastest ducking into his chair ever seen.

I'm wondering if the snapper debate was enough to tie up approx. 1 million people's (number of people who rec. fish, whose rights are being trampled on) opinions long enough to get the GCSB bill passed.

*For the sake of balance, I will admit that 1/2 of my family are long-time labour supporters. Any wonder why?
    Well, my family are long-time Nats. I wonder why these days. No way am I voting National.

A lot of ppl seem to like John Key, i remember last year opening this can at work as everyone what they thought, it funny how ppl get blinding by him.

*i don't think labour much better!, have no clue who to vote for next year (probably greens, but only because running out of options)

As an American I'm a little confused by why the States would be interested in NZ security.
    Just tell them to bugger off!

Well it's passed. Somehow I fell this is the start on a slippery slope to mass surveillance.

Also to troubleboi, next year will be the first time I am able to vote and I'm beginning to feel its a bit like being asked if you want to be stabbed of shot.

Mmm same. I really have no idea who I would vote for. Labour at a pinch, maybe, but even then I don't agree with a lot of their policies. Greens, no, I really can't take their stance.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ringer View Post
    As an American I'm a little confused by why the States would be interested in NZ security.
    Just tell them to bugger off!
    We have Kim Dotcom, and we screwed up his arrest. 'Nuff said.

the US has no reason to need NZ to pass a law like that.

We have the NSA that can record everything that happens in NZ.

And its legal for the NSA as you guys are not part of the US.

The only problem we in the US have is that its not legal for the NSA to spy on Americans.