Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Generations of changing tastes in entertainment.

Default Generations of changing tastes in entertainment.

Can we really constitute the tastes in entertainment has gone down hill over the years as adults, compared to when we were children?

I've thought about this a lot lately and while I'd find myself stuck on the music, games, movies and etc I've grown up with; I don't really care for the new stuff today as much as what I was brought up on.

I was caught up on thinking how much better things were when I was coming up in the 80's and 90's, but I see a trend happening with this line of thinking.

I could remember watching cartoons and although in my opinion, what we watched wasn't too far off from what our parents was brought up on; I always found my mother walking pass the TV and saying "What is this junk? cartoons were way better when I was a kid." I'd take offense to that and look at her like she lost her damn mind lol.

Today I believe, although I don't like a lot of it and yes, I'd be lying if I were to say I didn't view it as "junk", bottom line is, things change and evolve, even if it seems like it's regressing to you. If it doesn't have that "mommy, mommy, I want it" factor, nine times out of ten, it's getting fazed out or dropped like a bad habit.

Figures, I had more to add, but lost my train of thought

I think this does happen to each generation. The good old days were when you were growing up and having fun. When I was growing up (a little before you) my parents noticed how kids barely touched when they danced. Where is the romance of that? My parents, mostly my dad, complained about the music of the 60's and called it "crap". Now it's "classic rock" all over the world.

As for children's shows, which I think you are mostly referring to, it used to be "Oh wow! A toy that goes along with the cartoon/show I watch!" Now, unless the cartoon/show has marketability, I doubt it makes it to TV. Most movies and cartoons today have toys out as soon as they are aired. Look at your local fast food restaurant and see the toys that are given out with the children's (Happy) meals. It's like a big advertisement for the show.

As an adult, I see a huge amount of reality TV which, quite frankly, is not worth my time watching. Shows like "Duck Hunters", "The Bachelor/Bachelorette" series, "Big Brother", "Survivor", and that Honey Boo Boo show are just mindless drivel. Give me a good show like I grew up with. Something that had lasting value and entertainment, like "M*A*S*H", "The Brady Bunch" and "Matlock". Good shows today like "The Mentalist", "Perception" and "Damages" make you think and keep your mind sharp.

So yes, Ebonybaby, I agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebonybaby View Post
    Can we really constitute the tastes in entertainment has gone down hill over the years as adults, compared to when we were children?

I've thought about this a lot lately and while I'd find myself stuck on the music, games, movies and etc I've grown up with; I don't really care for the new stuff today as much as what I was brought up on.

I was caught up on thinking how much better things were when I was coming up in the 80's and 90's, but I see a trend happening with this line of thinking.

I could remember watching cartoons and although in my opinion, what we watched wasn't too far off from what our parents was brought up on; I always found my mother walking pass the TV and saying "What is this junk? cartoons were way better when I was a kid." I'd take offense to that and look at her like she lost her damn mind lol.

Today I believe, although I don't like a lot of it and yes, I'd be lying if I were to say I didn't view it as "junk", bottom line is, things change and evolve, even if it seems like it's regressing to you. If it doesn't have that "mommy, mommy, I want it" factor, nine times out of ten, it's getting fazed out or dropped like a bad habit.

Figures, I had more to add, but lost my train of thought
    This is an inter-generational conundrum. It seems many of us in our 30s, old enough to be firmly established as adults but not so old as to be curmudgeonly, listen to modern music and think it sounds like garbage, or we'll watch modern shows on the Cartoon Network and wonder how damned dumb the modern kids must be to find that stuff entertaining. In the late 1980s and into the 1990s, my parents would listen to the modern music of the era (after hair bands and before boy bands) and lament how watered down music had become (compared of course to the AC/DC and Van Halen and Bob Segar my parents loved). My mother, who grew up listening to Bob Segar, has told me about how her parents hated it and thought it was nothing but terrible noise (which I find so interesting since Bob Segar is not hard rock or metal as I would think of them, but rather a nice mellow rock). My grandmother, who is a big Elvis fan, has talked about how much her mother hated Elvis (in fairness, though, my great-grandmother was a country and western songwriter, amongst other things).

I think some of it is that as we get older, we become exposed to and preoccupied with so many different things that it becomes difficult for us to keep up with modern media. I mean, I used to love some of the stuff on the Cartoon Network (Dexter's Laboratory, Johnny Bravo, Powerpuff Girls). I've put on a couple of the new shows just to see what they are, and I wasn't interested. Now, maybe they're just bad shows. Maybe I'm sufficiently far past the target demographic that the storylines are predictable and no longer compelling. It certainly seemed that the style of humor is not one that I find particularly amusing but seems to be widely popular amongst those 5-15 years younger than I am.

Or, perhaps if I were 18 or 19 again and at college, with time to kill between classes and nothing interesting happening elsewhere, I'd leave the show on and putter online or half-study and half-watch the show and discover that, wow, that's a really good show. As a younger person, I was compelled to keep up with modern music, even if I didn't care to, because my mom likes rock music, listens to the radio all the time, and likes to hear new music. When I was 14 and had to ride the bus or in Mom's car, I was listening to the radio and the modern music of the era. Now, I have a music player and my own car, so I can listen to whatever I want when I want. Likewise with cartoons and TV shows in general; when I was in high school/college, it was pretty easy for me to just watch a show or have it on in the background. The internet had far less content in the late 1990s and early 2000s. More importantly, though, I did not have to maintain a house or spend evenings shopping or book social commitments weeks in advance. In our late-teens and early-20s, chances are good we're living in a residence that we don't own so we don't have to cut grass or fix a leaking toilet or paint the trim. Grocery shopping involved a quick trip to the store for beer, chips, and maybe one or two freezer dinners just in case. Social contact just kind of happened because (in college) we could walk down the hall and hang out with friends or we could just pop in and hang out because we had nothing better to do.

In those kinds of environments, keeping up with media and discovering what you like and don't like amongst the new content is comparatively easy. For those of us established as adults, perhaps it's not that the content is bad, it's that we simply don't have the time or inclination to sift through it to find the good stuff.

I was thinking about this too last night when I was posting in the Linkin Park thread. On one hand, maybe as a 40 year old I don't understand why some of today's pop artists and TV shows generate the appeal they do. On the other, I do think they're objectively worse.

With music, thanks to technology, nobody has to really sing anymore. I remember people being annoyed when Adele did well at the Grammys in 2012. There were jokes about her looks, her weight, how she talks, but there was no denying her voice. She stood out because she can actually sing well, with emotion and power. But you have overproduced divas and auto-tuned R&B singers pitching a fit because they got beat out by a heavy-set woman with pipes that blow them all away. Sorry, Lady Gaga (who is legitimately talented but trapped inside her own imagery). And where is rock music these days? It's non-existent. Rock radio stations have changed format to sports or hip-hop. Alternative music- can it even be called alternative anymore? Alternative to what? While I don't mind quirky indie rock or folk-influenced pop, how about something that makes me wanna throw my fist in the air? The 80's had that. The 90's had that. The last decade or so, not so much. It's all been softened and wussified to the point where it can't even be called rock & roll anymore and now it's all but extinct on mainstream radio.

With television I see some hope, because the scripted shows that have been coming out lately have been very entertaining. Whether it's drama like Breaking Bad or comedy like Louie and Modern Family, these shows are proving that being a voyeur into other people's tragic lives loses its thrill, especially once the scenarios become obvious that they're worked and engineered by production teams and writers. I don't watch a lot of TV, I just DVR what I like and watch at my leisure. But still, I have hope because the shows that are cropping up on cable are forcing the networks to be more creative if they want to survive. What they need to do is get the FCC off their backs so they have more freedom of content. There's nothing more stifling to networks having creative programming than the draconian FCC content regulations.

I mostly lost track of "current" music when rap came into vogue. Until then, through the 60s, 70s, and 80s, I was able to appreciate the best (and sometimes even the worst--see my seventies music thread) of what any time period had to offer. But when that became a thing that actually was unironically called "music," I gave up. I do like some modern bands. Green Day has done some good stuff at times, though they are often maligned. The Killers are one of my favorites. And despite her insane personna Lady Gaga is indeed, as Mattikins said, very talented and able to create some excellent music. So is P!nk. It's there if you listen for it. But to find it you have to endure way too much garbage (Garbage was a good band too), even from the talented folks. (And don't get me started about the ancient rockers who just keep hanging on and pretending to be kids despite being geriatric and having failed to do anything really original in decades. You know who I'm talking about, Rolling Stones.)

As to the autotuned stuff...well, it makes for a fun toy to make hilarious internet videos about the news. But actual music???

So now I sound like my mom, who always yelled down the stairs (my room was in the basement) when I played my Beatles records for me to "turn down that noise!!!"

As to TV, though...

I disagree with what some are saying. I watched a lot of TV in my youth, escaping into the fantasy of the Tube, into "Twilight Zone" and "Lost in Space" and "The Patty Duke Show" "The Dick Van Dyke Show" and "Star Trek," etc. But come on: while the 70's did have "M*A*S*H" and "All In The Family" and "The Mary Tyler Moore Show," most of the programming was not exactly what you'd call cutting edge. I mean "The Brady Bunch" would win Lifetime Achievement Awards from Pat Robinson. (Not that I didn't watch it: I did, every single Friday. I was a Marcia.)

Today? Well, you mentioned "Perception," "Breaking Bad," and a few others. What about "Homeland," "Newsroom," "Dexter," "Copper," "Parks and Recreation," "Once Upon a Time," "The Americans," "Mad Men," "Community," "Orphan Black," "The Daily Show," "The Colbert Report," "Girls," "Nashville," and maybe two or three dozen--at least--other shows currently still on the air that I could name that are of higher quality than almost any show at almost any time in TV history before the dawn of "Hill Street Blues." We are in an absolute Golden Age of scripted TV shows, and not even the network heads seem to be aware of it (or they would not cancel programs like "Firefly," "Terriers," "Pushing Daisies," "Freaks and Geeks," and "Wonderfalls" so quickly.

There's a lot out there to be entertained by.

But Linkin Park?

Really?

Well, as for TV, you got me there, I'd be the first to admit I stopped watching TV back in 2011 and started reading books instead. Even when I was watching TV, I couldn't tell you what was cool and what wasn't; I just stuck to the news and old reruns of "Married With Children" in the morning. I do, however have Netflix and I've noticed a few of the shows you mentioned up there, so I just might give them a try.

As for Linkin Park? I could have sworn that was a different post, be that as it may, I'm pretty musically eclectic. Personally, I could care less what the genre I'm listening to, I can bounce around from Rap, Hip hop, R&B, Rock, Country (YES, I said Country) and many others. I don't go by what I think other people care what's great music; all that matters to me is if I like it when I hear it.

I won't sit here and lie about "hating" on things I don't like or don't understand, but the one thing I have learned growing up over the years, no matter how much you hate it, give it a try first before you turn it away.

Another poster mentioned coming from the "Linkin Park" thread, so I couldn't resist a little poke.

I wasn't trying to continue the discussion of that band here, just use it as an example of me maybe being older and out of touch. Bunch of whippersnappers.

This is going to seem strange, but my wife and I enjoy some of the relatively new groups. I recently bought or got for last Christmas, "Some Nights" by Fun, The Lumineers and Jessy J, "New Love'.

As for cartoons, I watched a lot of them when I was a kid, and the Warner Brothers and Disney of the '40s and '50s were amazing. As a parent, I watched the cartoons of the 80s and really enjoyed many of them, and especially Digimon. Now I watch cartoons with my 3 and 5 year old grandsons, and the cartoons are horrible. I don't think it's just a generation gap. They simply don't put time into writing interesting story lines, plots and most importantly, character development. You got to know the characters in Digimon, and you cared about their outcome. Now it seems the characters just fight for very little reason. The same could be said for Pokemon.

one of the issues, today, is that of quantity over quality (as mass-media has become more massive). within that, a lot of useless gimmickry is passed off as an 'advancement' or 'improvement'.
    growing up, i caught the tail-end of the olden days, days in which performers were paid to perform, and you really can see the difference in the quality between those who had learned their craft treading the boards and interacting with [often hostile] audiences, and those of nowadays, who had merely been told what to do by some 'tutor' and then been given a 'qualification'.

the same is true of film stars, although film does require a different approach because of how they're made, and therefore different acting styles. in truth, there are no 'movie stars', as we'd like (or have been told) to think, as the quality and success of any film depends almost exclusively on the editors. films and stars are made or broken in the editing suite; that's a known, though unmentionable fact.
    lately, though, i have noticed that good editing is becoming less. it's more noticeable in the action/thriller type films and especially when an actor (often the 'star') is shown running, and it's totally obvious that they can't run to save their lives.

methinks that a too great a reliance on technology is to blame.