Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Cloth diapers, wet storage and stuck smell

  1. #1

    Default Cloth diapers, wet storage and stuck smell

    So, per subjection, I tried to do a wet storage of my cloth diapers and used a bleach tablet to sterilize the water, all of my cloth diapers came out fine in the end, except my really cute new all in one printed cloth diaper which after two washings smells like poo even though I never used them to poo in. The other problem is, I think that some of the fabric was eaten away by the bleach on the all in one. Is the a good way for me to get rid of the smell now that it is burned in?

  2. #2

    Default

    Hmm.. I'm wondering if you used too much soap. Obviously, do NOT use bleach, as that is terrible for the diapers!

    Try running them through a couple of wash cycles with no soap to see if a good rinse helps. Sometimes using too much soap creates a build-up that stinks to high heaven. I'm obviously not sure that's your smell in this case, but give it a go and see what happens.

  3. #3

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
    So, per subjection, I tried to do a wet storage of my cloth diapers and used a bleach tablet to sterilize the water, all of my cloth diapers came out fine in the end, except my really cute new all in one printed cloth diaper which after two washings smells like poo even though I never used them to poo in. The other problem is, I think that some of the fabric was eaten away by the bleach on the all in one. Is the a good way for me to get rid of the smell now that it is burned in?
    What kind of detergent do you use to wash your diapers? I use Arm & Hammer with Oxi Clean. I soak mine in my pail before I wash mine out. Don't use any bleach or fabric softner on your diapers.
    I would run them through a couple of wash cycles and hang them outside to dry in the sun. Baby Pants, Adult Size Baby Products has good article on laundering diapers.

  4. #4

    Default

    Make sure that you are using the hottest water your washer will give you. This is very important for the smell. I usually let the dirty ones sit in the washer with water in it until it is full. Then run it for rinse only. then I do the all important hot wash followed by a cold water soak before I allow the washer to continue. I use charlies soap by the way it is great. The only reason you should need bleach is if you are stripping cloth only diapers as plastic would be damaged. Good Luck.

  5. #5

    Default

    when I first got cloth diapers, I was dropping the extras into a solution of Oxyclean and water for a while, and I've got quite a few now with bleach stains. Namely after sitting in solution for several days. Now, I simply drop the diapers into the pail (and ventilate the room) and wash when I have a full load (not good to go past tho) still use the oxyclean, just not as a diaper pail presoak for several days. BTW my washing machine instructions say 'NO BLEACH'

  6. #6

    Default

    To get rid of the smell, you might run them through a washing cycle using white Vinegar. Then wash them again using a good detergent. All of the above suggestions sound like good advise, and definitely don't use bleach. It breaks down the fabric.

  7. #7

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by GoldDragonAurkarm View Post
    Hmm.. I'm wondering if you used too much soap. Obviously, do NOT use bleach, as that is terrible for the diapers!

    Try running them through a couple of wash cycles with no soap to see if a good rinse helps. Sometimes using too much soap creates a build-up that stinks to high heaven. I'm obviously not sure that's your smell in this case, but give it a go and see what happens.
    I think I did use too much soap. That might be a big part of the problem.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Quote Originally Posted by oleman72 View Post
    What kind of detergent do you use to wash your diapers? I use Arm & Hammer with Oxi Clean. I soak mine in my pail before I wash mine out. Don't use any bleach or fabric softner on your diapers.
    I would run them through a couple of wash cycles and hang them outside to dry in the sun. Baby Pants, Adult Size Baby Products has good article on laundering diapers.
    What do you use to kill bacteria as it soaks in the pail? I was told that just a small amount of bleach is ok, but it ate up part of the diaper so sad.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    To get rid of the smell, you might run them through a washing cycle using white Vinegar. Then wash them again using a good detergent. All of the above suggestions sound like good advise, and definitely don't use bleach. It breaks down the fabric.
    Ooh, good idea. If anything vinegar would smell better.

  8. #8

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Tyger
    What do you use to kill bacteria as it soaks in the pail? I was told that just a small amount of bleach is ok, but it ate up part of the diaper so sad.
    Don't worry about it. As long as you use a hot wash, the wash cycle will take care of it. Something at least 140F/60C will kill off anything that might try to grow on there. If you don't care about energy usage, 160F/71C will not only kill stuff but nuke it from orbit.

    The chemistry of cloth diapers is worth noting. There are compounds in urine that eventually convert into ammonia after you've urinated. This is why cloth diapers in the pail will start to smell like ammonia after a few days. Ammonia residues on the fibers of the fabric can also be challenging for most washers to remove, hence why a cup of vinegar every so often in the wash will help. The acidic vinegar (weak acetic acid) will react with and neutralize the basic ammonia. This will also help make your diapers last longer, as getting that residue neutralized will stop the degradation of the fibers for awhile. Bleach, being a considerably stronger base than the ammonia that forms out of your urine, will do rapid damage to the diaper materials. A strong enough base will basically melt your skin, and that's essentially what bleach does to the fabrics of cloth diapers.

    Also worth noting: I am of the opinion that modern washers are not designed with cloth diapers and certain other fabrics in mind. It seems to me that the focus on using less water and less energy, while good for the environment, leaves a lot of residues from soap and other compounds behind. High efficiency washers also use a much more concentrated soap, so it's incredibly easy to pour in too much. Combine that with insufficient water to really rinse cloth diapers, which need a lot of water to truly rinse and clean, and you'll get residue. I find that I have to run my cloth diapers for a second cycle with no soap about every fifth time I wash them. It's not just cloth diapers, either. My cycling clothing all has a noticeable soapy smell because I think Mr. Aurkarm uses too much soap on them and they have very expensive and technical fabrics that perhaps don't rinse as well.

  9. #9

    Default

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0222.JPG 
Views:	1195 
Size:	131.5 KB 
ID:	18045 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0224.JPG 
Views:	1230 
Size:	131.6 KB 
ID:	18046 I took some pic's of one of my oldest AIO's that I got late last year. This diaper has been worn and washed on the average of once a week. It's only been washed with Arm & Hammer with Oxi Clean
    and air dried. This is one of my Dependeco AIO's that I have and wear for overnight.

  10. #10

    Default

    I always do a second wash on my diapers, using no soap on the second wash. This has seemed to help.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-Jul-2013, 08:50
  2. What diapers have the best smell?
    By johndoeasdf50 in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-May-2011, 04:22
  3. Stuck in the UK traffic with no diapers
    By vantran in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 28-Dec-2010, 14:37
  4. Diapers that smell AWESOME
    By fauseteer in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 12-Feb-2010, 18:46
  5. Cloth diaper Smell
    By AbbeyJunction in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-Nov-2009, 05:14

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.