Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why not get a sphincter

Default Why not get a sphincter

I hear there is such device that can be inserted in you so you have bowel and bladder control and you hit a button and it empties it all out. How come you don'y have one? How come lot of incontinent people don't get one if they don't like being incontinent? Does insurance pay for it or do doctors not want to do it?

Just curious.

This is the first I have heard about it. I'm not sure if I would go that route. Would have to have a lot more information about it. It may not even work for me, my problem is a small bladder.

It's an invasive surgical procedure that has it's own complications and it's not 100% effective.

More info here: Inflatable artificial sphincter: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia

I've heard of stupid stuff like this in horrible diaper stories notably the ones with kidnapping/false imprisonment, molestation, rape, torture, limb amputations, etc.

So, now for the reaction video.

(Edit: Im not surprised something like this would exist in some medical capacity. Likely for seriously injured patients. I don't think it would be the least bit pleasant at all. Considering you might need a spinal tap since it hurts pretty badly.)

Quote Originally Posted by downtide View Post
    It's an invasive surgical procedure that has it's own complications and it's not 100% effective.

More info here: Inflatable artificial sphincter: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia
    Like downtide said and cause I love diapers and IC is a good excuss to wear diaper and medicaide pays for all my diapers. So if I got the surgery it would mean no more free diapers.

My Doctor talked to me about this surgery and said they last for about 5 years and scar tissue problems down the road and other problems.
    He said if your all right with diapers ,stay with them because it's less problems other then the cost.

Yay surgery! I would really love to be opened up and experimented on. Seriously, there are no easy solutions and there can be major problems with surgery. Remember, incontinence is a symptom of a disease or injury, it is not a disease or injury itself.

And, this wouldn't work for me anyway. My sphincter is fine, it's the nerves going to my bladder that are messed up. Oh wait, I can have an electrode shoved into my spinal column to control the nerves. Another great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    I hear there is such device that can be inserted in you so you have bowel and bladder control and you hit a button and it empties it all out. How come you don'y have one? How come lot of incontinent people don't get one if they don't like being incontinent? Does insurance pay for it or do doctors not want to do it?

Just curious.
    Couple of years ago my Urologist mentioned the procedure...

Now as "neat" as it sounds it's also not so simple:
    There's a bunch of things that can go VERY wrong with them... you're likely to go in for a replacement a few times, especially if you still got a lot of mileage ahead of your life.
    Then they can fail, block, etc... which can lead to serious problems unless you act quick (hospital / urologist)
    then in many cases they will NOT stop the dribbling ENTIRELY.. they will lessen the sudden emptying of the bladder etc... they will most likely be pretty effective against night-time issues.
    But during the day / activity you will most likely still need (although very slim/light) pads to take care of the remaining dribbling.
    (in some cases it doesn't occur - but there's no way to predict.)
    Then there's the thing of having an artificial item in your body, that will in-grow with the surrounding tissue... you'll have a pressure sensitive "pump" / "button" (usually it's an air-bladder-thing) that you will feel and have to press to relieve. and it can be accidentally pressed, at which point you'll have an "accident".

To me the idea just sounded horrible.
    I would basically retain some control and potentially have less accidents, but would have a foreign body inside my own body, a mechanical "plastic" contraption that will fail at a point, still cause leaking, etc...

Now to be honest, if I'd be fecal incontinent, I might consider an artificial sphincter... maybe.
    But for urinary IC? no thanks... it doesn't tamper with my comfort and activities enough to warrant such a medical surgical procedure in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyFoxDK View Post
    This is an english speaking forum, please drop the typical french arrogance and post in a language we all can understand.
    That may not have been the most appropriate way to address the issue, babyfox. I agree that patounet needs at least to use Google Translate on posts, but this is a new member we are talking about. There is no cause to be nasty.

Quote Originally Posted by ICkaraokegirl View Post
    That may not have been the most appropriate way to address the issue, babyfox. I agree that patounet needs at least to use Google Translate on posts, but this is a new member we are talking about. There is no cause to be nasty.
    June 2010 sign-ups are new?