Thread: Any opinions about the Abena X-Plus regular versus premium?

Default Any opinions about the Abena X-Plus regular versus premium?

I'm looking to buy some Abena Abri-Form X-Plus diapers today and I'm considering options. I see that there's a regular diaper as well as a premium one which is cloth-backed and more breathable. Does anyone have a experience with how the two compare?

Smile

Both the standard X-Plus (M4, L4, etc.) and the "Premium" (aka "Air Plus") diapers are cloth-backed, but the Premiums are supposed to be breathable. I found that they get clammy on the outside of the diaper and... er... are atrocious as containing odour...

I think there are one or two retailers in the US that have some kind of special arrangement to get the officially discontinued plastic-backed Abri-Forms, which stay snug against your body (unlike the fake-cloth ones which sag).

If you can still find them, I'd go for plastic-backed. Otherwise, I'd probably switch to a different brand that still has plastic backing.

Hope this helps... :-)

I looked on the XP Medical site and the X-Plus are plastic backed. I'm wearing some M-4's from there now. I ordered a case of M-3's yesterday that I'm going to use to replace my Attends Waistband Style.
    They are also plastic backed. I think the cloth backed should be about same as far as performance goes. They'll also be a little cooler when your out and about plus being quieter.

Quote Originally Posted by oleman72 View Post
    I ordered a case of M-3's yesterday that I'm going to use to replace my Attends Waistband Style.
    They are also plastic backed.
    Whaaaat?! You have plastic-backed M3s too?! I thought they'd completely stopped making them! This just isn't fair! I want some!

I think the cloth backed should be about same as far as performance goes. They'll also be a little cooler when your out and about plus being quieter.
    The "inside" of the diaper is pretty much the same -- it's just the backsheet that's changed (as far as I can tell). The fake-cloth backed ones are more "comfortable" (in that you hardly know you're wearing one), easier to move in and completely noise free (except to dogs)... but they don't maintain their form against the body so well, so are prone to sagging and leaks. You definitely need to wear something over them. And a diaper without smooth plastic is just not cricket!

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    Whaaaat?! You have plastic-backed M3s too?! I thought they'd completely stopped making them! This just isn't fair! I want some!

The "inside" of the diaper is pretty much the same -- it's just the backsheet that's changed (as far as I can tell). The fake-cloth backed ones are more "comfortable" (in that you hardly know you're wearing one), easier to move in and completely noise free (except to dogs)... but they don't maintain their form against the body so well, so are prone to sagging and leaks. You definitely need to wear something over them. And a diaper without smooth plastic is just not cricket!
    That's the deal that Gary at XP Medical worked out with Abena. Mine should be here Friday and I'll let you know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by AEsahaettr View Post
    Does anyone have a experience with how the two compare?
    We have official ADISC reviews posted for both of them:

Plastic-backed Review
    Cloth-Backed Review

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post

That's the deal that Gary at XP Medical worked out with Abena. Mine should be here Friday and I'll let you know for sure.
    Abena has indeed stopped making the plastic backed M3's, Gary has bought up the remaining stock and when they are gone they are gone for good.

Cherub

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksmith View Post
    Abena has indeed stopped making the plastic backed M3's, Gary has bought up the remaining stock and when they are gone they are gone for good.
    Any word on the plastic backed X-plus XL? I ordered a case of those and haven't gone through all of them yet. However, if they're slated to be discontinued for good, then I may order another case or two of them. Anyone know about the X-Plus XL plastic backed? (sorry, I do not intend to hijack a thread, I saw the topic ans wanted to ask my question)