Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Einsteins Riddle.

Default Einsteins Riddle.

A few weeks ago I came across a riddle that was apparently written by Einstein and only 2% of the population could actually solve it. I just got around to trying to solve it, so far I have spent around 6 hours working on it and still cannot finish it.

The most I have figured out is the color order of the houses and a few of the things they own. I am curious to see who on this site can figure it out without cheating. If you get the answer please post it in spoiler tags.

Anywho give it a try:

There are 5 houses that are each a different colour.

There is a person of a different nationality in each house.

The 5 owners drink a certain drink. They each smoke a certain brand of cigarettes and also have a certain pet. No owner has the same pet, smokes the same brand of cigarettes nor drinks the same drink.

The question is. "Who has the fish?"

1. The British man lives in the red house.

2. The Swedish man has a dog for a pet.

3. The Danish man drinks tea.

4. The green house is to the left of the white house.

5. The owner of the green house drinks coffee.

6. The person that smokes Pall Mall has a bird.

7. The owner of the yellow house smokes Dunhill.

8. The person that lives in the middle house drinks milk.

9. The Norwegian lives in the first house.

10. The person that smokes Blend, lives next to the one that has a cat.

11. The person that has a horse lives next to the one that smokes Dunhill.

12. The one that smokes Bluemaster drinks beer.

13. The German smokes Prince.

14. The Norwegian lives next to a blue house.

15. The person that smokes Blend, has a neighbour that drinks water.

I need the code for a spoiler tag please... The normal formatting editor, does not appear on my machine...

Quote Originally Posted by Marka View Post
    I need the code for a spoiler tag please... The normal formatting editor, does not appear on my machine...
    [ SPOILER ]

[ / SPOILER ]

with no spaces.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    [ SPOILER ]

[ / SPOILER ]

with no spaces.
    Ah, ...simple enough...I probably should've guessed that one!

-Marka ...and now...back to the puzzle...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FauxPas View Post
    "..." so far I have spent around 6 hours working on it and still cannot finish it.

The most I have figured out is the color order of the houses and a few of the things they own. "..."
    Well, I got about as far as you seem to have (I used a spreadsheet program)...in about the last two hours...

And, before I go and find the answer....

I'll give you this:

So there!

Ah, ...simple enough...I probably should've guessed that one!

-Marka ...and now...back to the puzzle...

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I got about as far as you seem to have (I used a spreadsheet program)...in about the last two hours...

And, before I go and find the answer....

I'll give you this:

So there!
    XD

I too have been using a spread sheet on Excel. It helps order things. What I find to be helpful if you get stuck is to put something that you think may be somewhere and then continue, you will either hit a dead end or actually get further.

I believe there are 5 to the 5th power combinations, so good luck. Since no fish is mentioned, if it does exist, it would have to be by default, but for that to happen, four other animals have to be mentioned, unless I'm not understanding. Maybe the fish is in the red house because it's a red snapper and belongs to a Brit who is eating fish and chips.

XD

I too have been using a spread sheet on Excel. It helps order things. What I find to be helpful if you get stuck is to put something that you think may be somewhere and then continue, you will either hit a dead end or actually get further.
    I found elsewhere where there are so far two possible answers...not the same as what I answered ...

I think that I have a new plan, to reattempt this riddle...because now that I may have the proper answer...I want to find out how to resolve it...with just the information given.

Thanks for the brain-stretch!
    -Marka

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I believe there are 5 to the 5th power combinations, so good luck. Since no fish is mentioned, if it does exist, it would have to be by default, but for that to happen, four other animals have to be mentioned, unless I'm not understanding. Maybe the fish is in the red house because it's a red snapper and belongs to a Brit who is eating fish and chips.
    All the animals except the fish are mentioned. All you need is the 4, because once you figure out where they go, you know where the fish is.

- - - Updated - - -

I found elsewhere where there are so far two possible answers...not the same as what I answered ...

I think that I have a new plan, to reattempt this riddle...because now that I may have the proper answer...I want to find out how to resolve it...with just the information given.

Thanks for the brain-stretch!

-Marka
    Yeah, I gave up and looked at the answer, now I'm going back and trying to figure out how to get there. I am like 3/4 done, but a couple things are still giving me trouble.

But you are very welcome. It was fun to try.

All the animals except the fish are mentioned. All you need is the 4, because once you figure out where they go, you know where the fish is.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I gave up and looked at the answer, now I'm going back and trying to figure out how to get there. I am like 3/4 done, but a couple things are still giving me trouble.

But you are very welcome. It was fun to try.

I got the same answer

Is this right you guys? I only came up with it in an hour so it's probably wrong, but when I review it, the clues keep matching up.

Edit: This is the answer. Don't look if you don't want to know and do it yourself. I checked it online and it's correct.

Here's my crappy worksheet. What I did what use nots, like !Blue meant "not blue." I didn't have a good way to express 'adjacent' so I make it up by using two asterisks. Halfway through my commands I just went balls in and attempted to solve and then fixed a couple mistakes and finished it.

Edit: Sorry ya'll I play way too many RPGs and I wrote race instead of nationality. I blame this on Skyrim. Completely on Skyrim and a little bit on Everquest.
    Last edited by Frogsy; 14-Aug-2013 at 19:54. Reason: To give fair warning to those wanting to solve.