Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ...Hello. *shy wave*

Default ...Hello. *shy wave*

I just recently joined and I wanted to take some time and introduce myself to the Community here.

Hello!

I typically go by the moniker Pax or Paxy (even among friends), so please call me by that. I prefer that to my own name unless I'm around family.

I'm a bit of an introvert for various reasons, but I have a lot of hobbies. I really enjoy reading and drawing, and doing handcrafts (like spinning yarn, knitting, and embroidery.) I also enjoy playing video games and tabletop RPGs (like AD&D) and going to anime conventions from time to time. I have a deep interest in music. After playing the oboe for 6 years and taking a hiatus (due to college, work, and the general BLAH of adult life) I've recently picked up the violin - though I can't manage anything beyond a few screechy notes at this point. I'm also a bit of a TV nerd, I enjoy shows like Supernatural, Doctor Who, MLP, ReBoot, Sherlock, Are you being served?, and MacGyver.

Originally, I wasn't looking for a forum to join. I didn't even know they existed for people like us outside of fetish-sites. (Which are a bit too hyper-sexualized for my tastes when it comes to this aspect of my life.) I found this place when I was looking for information on bottles.

To be honest, I was actually pretty frightened to join. I didn't think I'd fit in here. Until I read some of the posts and articles. The more I read, the more I felt like this would be a nice place, and that I could open up to people about this part of myself instead of hiding it like some horrible, dark secret. I've always felt ashamed for still liking plushies, blankies, and bottles at my age. After finding ADISC though, I don't feel that way anymore.

Even if I don't make any friends here (though I hope I do), it is nice to know that there are others like me; and places like this who aim to support and nurture.

So...I guess in closing to my intro....to the staff and Community of ADISC I would just like to say: Thank you..

Sincerely,
    Pax

Hi Paxy, welcome to ADISC. I'm glad that you overcame the fear of joining. I was quite like you at first, unaware of this community and unsure if it was best for me but now that I've joined, I've welcomed it as a second family There are loads of members that would be happy to support you and give advice, like myself, and would be more than happy to be your friend. It's good to see that you can feel relaxed and open about yourself, which is good to see. I'm also a bit of a Whovian and game nerd, who will be attending a gaming convention next month. I do have to ask...

Who is your favorite Doctor from Doctor Who?

Again, welcome to ADISC and hope you enjoy visiting the community. Any questions, search the threads or, if you can't find one, make one and people will be happy to give their opinions. Any other questions, if you feel like it, don't hesitate to ask me or anyone else. Once more, welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Paxy View Post
    I just recently joined and I wanted to take some time and introduce myself to the Community here.

Hello!

I typically go by the moniker Pax or Paxy (even among friends), so please call me by that. I prefer that to my own name unless I'm around family.

I'm a bit of an introvert for various reasons, but I have a lot of hobbies. I really enjoy reading and drawing, and doing handcrafts (like spinning yarn, knitting, and embroidery.) I also enjoy playing video games and tabletop RPGs (like AD&D) and going to anime conventions from time to time. I have a deep interest in music. After playing the oboe for 6 years and taking a hiatus (due to college, work, and the general BLAH of adult life) I've recently picked up the violin - though I can't manage anything beyond a few screechy notes at this point. I'm also a bit of a TV nerd, I enjoy shows like Supernatural, Doctor Who, MLP, ReBoot, Sherlock, Are you being served?, and MacGyver.

Originally, I wasn't looking for a forum to join. I didn't even know they existed for people like us outside of fetish-sites. (Which are a bit too hyper-sexualized for my tastes when it comes to this aspect of my life.) I found this place when I was looking for information on bottles.

To be honest, I was actually pretty frightened to join. I didn't think I'd fit in here. Until I read some of the posts and articles. The more I read, the more I felt like this would be a nice place, and that I could open up to people about this part of myself instead of hiding it like some horrible, dark secret. I've always felt ashamed for still liking plushies, blankies, and bottles at my age. After finding ADISC though, I don't feel that way anymore.

Even if I don't make any friends here (though I hope I do), it is nice to know that there are others like me; and places like this who aim to support and nurture.

So...I guess in closing to my intro....to the staff and Community of ADISC I would just like to say: Thank you..

Sincerely,
    Pax
    Hello there, Paxy! So nice to meet you! You sound like an awesome person. Thanks for such a terrific post about yourself.

It seems so many of us were so scared to join up and/or post here, in the beginning. I was really nervous about posting here, too, at first. In fact, I joined and then didn't even post once until Moo gently reminded me that I was 'becoming a lurker'! Oh nooo. I bit the bullet and I'm so glad I did. Generally the people here are kind and helpful. (If they are being trolls or breaking rules, though, you can always report them by clicking on that triangle with an exclamation mark in it.) And also there's lots of good information to be found around here, and old time diaper-users who can answer your questions.

I try to knit, although I'm still at the point where my stitches go uneven, too loose or too tight. I'm also a newbie at Doctor Who, and only in the first series. Still on the first Doctor! You're a pro at things I'm just starting, hehe. What kind of books and authors are your favorites?

So many people start out ashamed, but I think you'll find that the attitude around here is that you eventually have to accept yourself. It's not going to go away, and you're not hurting anyone or doing anything ethically or legally wrong. So love yourself and love your little-self because you're just a bit quirky like so many of us here. You're not the only one!

Have fun around here! There's lots to be had! I'll send a friendship request your way. You seem like my kind of people.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshE2810 View Post
    . It's good to see that you can feel relaxed and open about yourself, which is good to see. I'm also a bit of a Whovian and game nerd, who will be attending a gaming convention next month. I do have to ask...

Who is your favorite Doctor from Doctor Who?

Thank you for the warm welcome

Actually, I ramble when I'm nervous... so to be honest it was more of an anxiety ramble than anything else.

Of course you have to ask! It's a Whovian Rule when meeting other Whovians! I'm partial to Ten, though I've only seen Nine, and Ten (atrocious, I know). I just can't bring myself to watch The End of Time episodes. I've been dithering for months. Although I recently cosplayed as Eleven at a convention with my K-9 plush. (I was planning on cosplaying as Ten and had everything but the suit, but life happened and I couldn't afford the suit )

Aww... That's a shame about the suit. I myself will be cosplaying as the Eleventh at the convention, with my camera woman as my River. I also have a Bioshock cosplay involved as well. Very much looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogsy View Post
    Hello there, Paxy! So nice to meet you! You sound like an awesome person. Thanks for such a terrific post about yourself.

It seems so many of us were so scared to join up and/or post here, in the beginning. I was really nervous about posting here, too, at first. In fact, I joined and then didn't even post once until Moo gently reminded me that I was 'becoming a lurker'! Oh nooo. I bit the bullet and I'm so glad I did. Generally the people here are kind and helpful. (If they are being trolls or breaking rules, though, you can always report them by clicking on that triangle with an exclamation mark in it.) And also there's lots of good information to be found around here, and old time diaper-users who can answer your questions.

I try to knit, although I'm still at the point where my stitches go uneven, too loose or too tight. I'm also a newbie at Doctor Who, and only in the first series. Still on the first Doctor! You're a pro at things I'm just starting, hehe. What kind of books and authors are your favorites?

So many people start out ashamed, but I think you'll find that the attitude around here is that you eventually have to accept yourself. It's not going to go away, and you're not hurting anyone or doing anything ethically or legally wrong. So love yourself and love your little-self because you're just a bit quirky like so many of us here. You're not the only one!

Have fun around here! There's lots to be had! I'll send a friendship request your way. You seem like my kind of people.
    Hello

Knitting took me a while to get used to (I taught myself). The biggest tips I can give you via text are, when it comes to tension just try to keep it as uniform as possible and practice. Look at the stuff you've knitted and tug on it and such (see where it gets loose/tight) and try not to pull it too tight as you go. As far as uneven-ness? I count the stitches on my needle...A LOT. lol. Pretty much every pass. It also helps to buy knitting counters (they look like little plastic locks) and putting one on the first and last stitch of your cast-on row. It'll help keep you from stopping a row too soon or adding a stitch accidentally. Personally my tension issues tend to stem from the cast on row itself (usually too tight). I've found that using two needles when casting-on, makes larger loops (since you take one needle out to begin knitting) and by the time my first row is knitted - the tension is where it should be for the needle/yarn size.

Whatever you do - don't knit while dealing with a cold! LOL I've sneezed and dropped so many stitches that way! I don't recommend it.

My favorite genre is fantasy, but I can't say that I have a favorite author. There are just too many! I'm currently reading 'Good Omens' by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, but I also enjoy the Heralds of Valdemar series, the Iron Druid Chronicles, The Dresden Files, and old favorites like Redwall, the Secret of NIMH, and the Dragonriders of Pern. I have four bookshelves full of novels and manga.

Thank you for the kind words...I've been working on accepting myself more and more for who I really am over the past few years. It's getting easier, but it still has challenges.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JoshE2810 View Post
    Aww... That's a shame about the suit. I myself will be cosplaying as the Eleventh at the convention, with my camera woman as my River. I also have a Bioshock cosplay involved as well. Very much looking forward to it.
    It made me sad (not being able to cosplay Ten), but I'm just looking at it as now I have time to A) lose weight B) break in my chuck taylors, and C) not scramble to get the outfit since I know where I'm getting the suit and I have all the accessories.

Have fun at the Con! That's really awesome that you've got a River. Bioshock is awesome too, who are you cosplaying as from that?

It made me sad (not being able to cosplay Ten), but I'm just looking at it as now I have time to A) lose weight B) break in my chuck taylors, and C) not scramble to get the outfit since I know where I'm getting the suit and I have all the accessories.

Have fun at the Con! That's really awesome that you've got a River. Bioshock is awesome too, who are you cosplaying as from that?
    I shall be cosplaying as Booker DeWitt and the same person who is my river will be my Elizabeth and singing 'Will The Circle Be Unbroken?'

Hey, Paxy, glad you took the leap and signed up with this crowd. I joined just over two months ago and I think I've felt a lot more connected to the people on this site (hope they don't mind me saying that) than the other ones I joined. We are all brought here for the same reason but there's a lot of great discussions and debates about pretty much anything... like Doctor Who. I'd have to say Tom Baker was my favourite. Glad to see I'm not the only one watching Supernatural. Chat me up about that anytime.

skyfoxpup

Hi Paxy (boy I'm original arnt I?) Nice to meet you

After playing the oboe for 6 years and taking a hiatus (due to college, work, and the general BLAH of adult life) I've recently picked up the violin - though I can't manage anything beyond a few screechy notes at this point. I'm also a bit of a TV nerd, I enjoy shows like Supernatural, Doctor Who, MLP, ReBoot, Sherlock, Are you being served?, and MacGyver.

The violin is really cool. I played if when i was 7 and for some reason dropped it when i got to highschool. It's such a pretty instrument. Also, I see you're a MLP fan, who's your favourite pony? Mine is a tie between Rainbowdash and Twilight. And Sherlock!!!! I love that show so much, Freeman and Cumberbatch are amazing actors! (also, are you being served is one of the funniest shows!)