Thread: Positive things that you did during your real life childhood.

Default Positive things that you did during your real life childhood.

Do you have something positive that you did in your real life childhood that you enjoyed doing? When I say positive, I mean something that helped others personally, your school, church, community, etc. I'll start by describing two.

The first is that when I was in sixth grade (11 years old), I was chosen to help out the kindergarten class. I remember being there for about an hour a day, helping the kindergarten kids with the school work that they were doing.

The second is when I was in junior high school (12-13 years old). I was on the school safety patrol. I left class a little early at the end of the school day, so that I could help direct the bicycle riders out of the fenced area that housed the bicycles during school hours.

Okay, your turn...

Does mowing grass for older neighbors count.

Quote Originally Posted by kennyrallen View Post
    Does mowing grass for older neighbors count.
    That reminded me of this. We had a snow storm and my son helped me shovel out our long driveway. We had some older neighbors and I asked him if he would like to help me shovel out their driveway, as I knew it would be difficult for them. Without flinching he said yes and we shoveled their driveway as well. They were very grateful and thanked us, and it felt good.

this isn't exactly what i would call a "good-deed" for several reasons... but i did it as a kid. let me elaborate.

in my 8th grade year, i built my best boat yet. it was a 13 footer with a "well" to mount the out-board motor in. it had a good sea-keeping abilities for the 2 and 3 foot white-caps that we could get on the Columbia River where i was living at the time. and best of all, it had a nice Tow-Bit mounted forward of the out-board so i could maneuver while towing something much heaver and bigger than myself.... (which was what i built the boat to do).

now while i mostly used my new boat to hunt for run-away boom-sticks (40 foot logs 18 inches in diameter used on the perimeter of big log rafts). where i ended up getting an unexpected use for my boat was on the weekends towing boat that had run out of gas back to the gas-dock or becalmed sailboats back to the dock. and even on the rare occasion, bringing back some sailor who just wasn't up to the ruff weather that can come up by 4pm in the late summer on the river.

as a young kid i loved this, but apparently both the Sheriff as well as some "pay-for-tow" people didn't feel i should be spending my time doing this..... but i never cared and did what made me happy. which is why i don't see it so much as a good deed or anything like that.
    what it was, was just another kick-ass adventure in my life.

Well when I was in 7th grade, I had helped a new classmate get used to the school, as she had just moved to town a while prior, and I actually did the same thing in 9th grade for my fellow newcomers, as I had just moved to a new place myself. Being generally nice, helping out whenever I could, then there was digging out my neighbors' driveway after a HUGE blizzard(close to my height by the end of said storm, of snow)

I did at least 10 hours a month of volunteer work between ages 8-18 (Cub+Boy scouts.) I also tutored HS/JH/GS students in JH/HS. I've been too busy with work and school to really help out recently

Thanks for responding, everyone. Here's one more.

Delivered the morning newspaper. Provided a service that was fun. The dog I had at the time would run along side the bicycle, thru the neighborhood. Made a few extra dollars too. The only drawbacks were having to get up every morning at 4am and finding someone to cover when my family went on vacation.

Too bad they don't let kids do that anymore here, because of safety issues. They now have adults in cars deliver now.

Quote Originally Posted by 11hinzvic View Post
    Thanks for responding, everyone. Here's one more.

Delivered the morning newspaper. Provided a service that was fun. The dog I had at the time would run along side the bicycle, thru the neighborhood. Made a few extra dollars too. The only drawbacks were having to get up every morning at 4am and finding someone to cover when my family went on vacation.

Too bad they don't let kids do that anymore here, because of safety issues. They now have adults in cars deliver now.
    I remember those days. Get early get the papers delivered before school. Sundays where always a chore. I don't think there are any paperboys in the US any more.