Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Telling children why Adult wears diapers.

Default Telling children why Adult wears diapers.

This might give those who are not IC a closer look into what some of us have dealt with.

I had a dear friend that I met years ago I knew had problems makings ends meet because of a deadbeat ex-husband.

We had met through another friend a year earlier. I would check on her and her kids about 3 times a week to make sure she had every thing she needed for the kids. She had 5 kids. She was on state aid at the time and after buy the house payment and other bills she had a rough time of making it month to month. Not having any one to support but myself I helped out when ever I could.

After a year of doing this we talked about me moving in with her and the kids. I should add right here that we did not have sexual attraction to each other. We had tried and it felt awkward to both of us. We had more of a Brother Sister relationship. I agreed that would save me money in the long run

Now this is were the diapers come in. When I was moving my stuff in the kids had spotted my diapers.

So we sat the kids down and told them the truth of why I had and wore diapers. We told them that I had a problem that caused me to wet to bed and some times my pants. I wore diapers to keep other things dry. The plain and simple truth.

There was no "Don't ask" "You don't need to know" We were up front with them. I found out later that the kids respected me for doing so.

I ended up being a stand in Dad to these kids. I think kids are some what more understanding then what we give them credit for.

My friend passed away this past winter, but that was for the best she has been sick for a while.

I totally know what you mean by "that was for the best she has been sick for a while.". There are times when a person's life has reached a point where the pain far outweighs any possible joy.

*hugs*

Losing a friend, even in these conditions, still hurts a lot. I'm glad you were there for her kids.

skyfoxpup

I'm sorry my thoughts are with you

My condolences.

Yes, ive found that telling the truth is the easiest. Or at least telling them the info that they need to hear.

My brother was havinga tough time with his chemo, so my nephew came to live with me and my husband for a few weeks. He knows we have a girl "roommate" (my baby girl). We stopped all baby/daddy play around him, reserved it for the night time when he was asleep. Though he noticed her diaper under her shorts, after about a week.

I explained it that she still wets the bed and has the ocassional day time accident. That she choose to wear diapers because a wet diaper is a lot less embarassing than having wet pants. My nephew agreed and didnt mention it again. Hes just 7 and only stopped bed wetting last year, so i think that helped him accept that some adults are still in diapers.

It wasnt a lie, she does have those accidents, even if most arent true accidents. but thats all he needed to know and he accepted it.

I am so sorry for your loss. I too am of just over a year of losing my wife. Three of my four sons know i wear diapers but say nothing. Wont go into details.

Life is so often full of pain and sorrow. Wearing diapers seems very unimportant in the bigger picture. My wife is on hemo dialysis and we do home dialysis, as I am her dialysis partner. It puts a lot of things into perspective.

Kennyrallen, for the first time a post here touches me on an emotional level. What you did for her and her children is amazing, and I think you did the right thing informing them about this aspect early on.

My condolences for the passing of your friend.
    Andrew

You are so right Kenny.
    I have always maintained you can't hide something like diapers from your kids. Mine were all over the house and into everything.
    My wife and I decided before we had kids we couldn't hide my need for diapers. They always knew that I was in diapers and why.
    Yes it can lead to some interesting situations. I recall my youngest daughter at 2 offering to change my diaper after I had finished changing hers. But this was out of concern for my needs and I was deeply touched by the offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringer View Post
    You are so right Kenny.
    I have always maintained you can't hide something like diapers from your kids. Mine were all over the house and into everything.
    My wife and I decided before we had kids we couldn't hide my need for diapers. They always knew that I was in diapers and why.
    Yes it can lead to some interesting situations. I recall my youngest daughter at 2 offering to change my diaper after I had finished changing hers. But this was out of concern for my needs and I was deeply touched by the offer.

Was it hard potty training them because daddy wears them?

I think I have mentioned it before, but I took a trip to Europe with my daughters only a month or so after becoming completely incontinent. As we would be sharing hotel rooms for three weeks, there really was not alternative but telling them, so I did. They are older (college age) but it is not easy to face your children and tell them such a thing. Still, I did it and they accepted it. My middle daughter had had a bedwetting incident last fall and freaked out about it, so she understood on a personal level how difficult it must be. My youngest laughed--and immediately apologized for doing so. Both were great though. Then I told my son, who lives with me but wasn't coming with us (he was staying home with his sick husband) and he was very easy-going and merely concerned for me.

I was very glad that I told them. Sure makes it a lot easier now, too, since there have to be diapers in the garbage pretty much ​all the time.