Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dealing with some conflicts about the future.

Default Dealing with some conflicts about the future.

Okay, so, I've been planning on coming to the U.S. in the near future after I've finished off my studies and have got enough money to sustain myself while looking for employment and all that.

As an idea for staying somewhere when I come there, I'm planning on being with fellow member gigglemuffinz for a while when that time comes (just so I'm not backpacking around America looking for a place to stay every week or so). And she's okay with it.

But I've hit a bit of a snag. And that's; how am I gonna stay in the country?

Now, I've done a bit of studying up on the subject of a green-card and citizenship and all that and unfortunately, I don't have that much grasp on the subject of it all and the stuff I did understand, doesn't make me think I have that good of a chance right now x.x

So, my question is this, how would I be able to get it all sorted so that when that time comes and I move to America to make said "dream come true", I'd be able to stay in the country?

Much help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Braddeh; 13-Aug-2013 at 07:46.

If I where you come over here on a visitors visa. Then when you're here apply for permanent residency . Right now with the BS going on in DC they are really screwing the the immigration system.

Quote Originally Posted by kennyrallen View Post
    If I where you come over here on a visitors visa. Then when you're here apply for permanent residency . Right now with the BS going on in DC they are really screwing the the immigration system.
    Okay, that sounds like a good idea. But what do you mean by that last bit, what exactly are they doing by "screwing with the immigration system"?

it has been a major political football for the past decade. To the point the American immigration system is quite broken. My sister in law, who is French, has to deal with immigration on way too regular a basis over her Green Card, even though she's been a US resident for 7 years.
    ICE deported one of my cousins to Mexico when she got arrested in Arizona with her Mexican boyfriend in a traffic stop and didn't have ID. Granted, she is a bit of an idiot, and dark skinned to boot. Two words out of her mouth should've told ICE she was in fact the most native of Americans. It took her 3 months to get back into the US.

I think if you have some future employment lined up, that would help. After all, John Oliver has been here for quite some time, but he has a very good job, hosting Comedy Central's John Stewart's show.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I think if you have some future employment lined up, that would help. After all, John Oliver has been here for quite some time, but he has a very good job, hosting Comedy Central's John Stewart's show.
    Yeah, I'm not really planning on making it all happen for another...let's say 4 years, so I can get enough money from a job over here to start off a good enough life in the U.S. and just sustain me for a while when I try to get some employment going, I'll be sure to think of said employment during that time.

As a side question, where is Ms. Gigglez? I haven't seen her on here in quite awhile.

Braddeh,

My family did a LOT of moving around countries when I was younger... and I have lived in different parts of the world myself.

the one thing you can always do is to go the embassy and ask about actual requirements, etc.

Usually (and I have to add, I don't know the situation in the USA about this at the given moment) it's a mixed bag of things that in the end will determine the length of your initial tourist or working visa...
    For example most countries these days will basically require you to provide some form of proof that you are not becoming a burden for the sate once you're there if you plan to stay longer than an average tourist visa.
    Stuff like bank accounts, connection to family and friends at home (usually seen as reason to go back), a job at home (Also a reason to go back eventually), no criminal past, etc.

Some countries also have very specific requirements in financial terms in case you'd like to move (ie. need so much money on the bank...).

Usually the minimum is seen to be the amount it takes you to live for a year or two entirely without support and still afford a flight back home.

Another - but not entirely easy - way is to get hired/requested by a company in the desired country for a specific job.
    that - whilst often still time limited - will open your door to a much coveted working permit / working visa.
    Thus once you're in the country, working the initial (mostly short-term) job, you'll be able to apply for other jobs and thus easily extend your work visa, and at one point apply for a permanent one.

then there's also the option of getting a tourist visa (these often - but not always) can be extended once or twice (that really entirely depends on the country)...
    And whilst you're technically forbidden to WORK with a tourist visa, it is NOT forbidden to look for a job.
    It's not exactly easy, as a potential company wanting to hire you would have to go through the same hoops to request you as if you'd be still in australia at the time... (usually those requests consist of a formality that involves a "proof" that they NEED you (instead of the local joe) - but it's a formaility.)
    However the advantage of going this route is, that you can actually get a job interview - and if you're good, make a solid impression, etc... your chances are oftentimes higher as if you'd have applied for the same job from home.

Lastly there are several other - oftentimes shady gray to illegal - options to stay in almost any country.
    But in the long run those options often have a LOT of potential issues attached to them.

I think the others have it pretty well covered; a job with a big company that recruits internationally (name a big tech company, for e.g.) is probably the hottest ticket.

Another option would be to continue your studies and seek a student visa with a American university. I'm not sure what the requirements are, but a strong academic history is probably one of them. And being a student here would double as an extended opportunity to interview for jobs.

Or you could feed Wikileaks some dirt on the Australian government and then seek political asylum here.

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
    I think the others have it pretty well covered; a job with a big company that recruits internationally (name a big tech company, for e.g.) is probably the hottest ticket.

Another option would be to continue your studies and seek a student visa with a American university. I'm not sure what the requirements are, but a strong academic history is probably one of them. And being a student here would double as an extended opportunity to interview for jobs.

Or you could feed Wikileaks some dirt on the Australian government and then seek political asylum here.
    Being completely honest here Cottontail, I've heard about the terrors that come with getting into an American University. If it isn't hard to get into it, it's harder to pay off the expenses of what happens afterwards and the last thing I want when I'm in a new country is to be within the area of $10k to $70k in debt for schooling fees just to get an education and a student visa.

If the job market is good when that time comes, it may be a good idea to get a job, but at this point in time, it seems unlikely.

And I would do the last option, but that would require I have some kind of connection to the Australian government or any way to get that kind of information, even then I probably would not want that option considering what happens to people political asylum. x.x

How likely would it be to go with the option that kennyrallen posted? Because, right now, I think that may be the option I'm appealing to more if I'm being honest.