Thread: How absorbant is this?

Default How absorbant is this?

I decided to make myself some ''training pants.'' In my underwear I currently have two layers of flannel pillowcase, two layers of towel under that, about eight layers of T-shirt under that, and another layer of towel. I'm thinking about wetting it in the morning, so my question is simple: about how much can I pee without leaking and making a complete mess?

One rule of advise, get in the shower or in the bathtub before trying this out, you might have big surprises...

The technical answer is "as long as it takes to soak through the layers." The whole point of having a plastic pants is to give the fabric enough time to absorb and to redirect any excess to dry parts. Without that it'll start dripping as soon as the outer layer is reached.

--sf

Terry cloth and flannel are the most absorbent . Some say that flannel baby blankets work well. You can find those in most thrift shops. You do want to use plastic pants when using cloth.

I'm too nervous to actually try wetting it...

Just stand in the tub and do it just before you shower. Then you can rinse everything out in the shower and carry it out in your towel. It might be a good idea to cut down on some of the layers though, just so that there's not as big of a pile of wet stuff to take to the washing machine. Like was said previously, it'll start dripping as soon as the outer layer is reached. Adding more layers is really only helpful if you have plastic pants over it.

Quote Originally Posted by irnub View Post
    Just stand in the tub and do it just before you shower. Then you can rinse everything out in the shower and carry it out in your towel. It might be a good idea to cut down on some of the layers though, just so that there's not as big of a pile of wet stuff to take to the washing machine. Like was said previously, it'll start dripping as soon as the outer layer is reached. Adding more layers is really only helpful if you have plastic pants over it.
    I did decide to do the bathtub thing last night. I don't think it dripped, but it did soak through all the layers of towels etc. My only problem was I could only go in spurts instead of one stream. Guess my body just isn't used to peeing my pants yet.

Going in spurts probably helped the fabric soak it better. Hope it was how you expected it to be.

--sf

Without plastic pants over the top, even that lot will leak through pretty quickly. Cloth doesn't wick like a disposable.