Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pants/jeans question

Default Pants/jeans question

I have been wanting to get some girls pants/jeans and I really don't know how to go about it. From some research it looks like a size 10-12 will fit me and I am a 32,34 I guys pants. I want some low rise pants and that flare out at the bottom.
    Any suggestions or tips for getting girls pants and am I correct on the size?

Don't believe the vanity numbers - that's right the "VANITY NUMBERS" !
    The best thing and way you can achieve your desire to wear girls pants (jeans) is to go shopping in a store that sells both men's and women's wear.
    Buy a tailors cloth tape measure and find out what your measurements are using well fitting male jeans or pants.
    Measurements that you will need to take are the WAIST (if it is a kilt it is taken at the navel (belly button) if pants or a skirt where ever your natural waist is - usually about 4 inches south of the navel
    YMMV (Your Measurements May Vary).
    The next measurement is the HIPS the widest point of anatomy south of the Waist - usually from 2-4 inches wider then the Waist again YMMV.
    The HIP measurement is important in that the waist of the pants/jeans has to open up enough for the pants to go over and around this wide point.
    The next important measurement is the RISE - the distance from the crotch bottom seam to the top of the Waist band. In most cases anything less than 7 inches is unrealistic (covers nothing) - normal is around 9-11 inches.
    The last measurement is the INSEAM - distance from the bottom crotch seam to the pant leg hem.
    This is wear slim leg - boot cut - and a variety of descriptions of the width of the pant leg come into play.

So with your measurements go to gals side of the aisle and use the measurements to see what comes close to your numbers.
    Pick-up a pair of pants/jeans and one either side of what you have selected.
    Some stores restrict the number of pants you can take into the fitting room - so max out that number cause if you guess wrong
    you don't want to have to make several trips to the fitting room to find out what fits.
    When you hit on something make note of the size and its measurements - just remember not all clothing manufacturers use the
    same size numbers - the Vanity Factor !
    One other thing is men's pants/jeans have what the industry calls EASE (room for the male package).
    Women's pants it is not a requirement but caution limited RISE means limited EASE.

RE-CAP - measurements needed WAIST - HIPS - RISE - INSEAM.

One formula that used to work and may put you into the working range of jean fitting is the rule of 20.
    Take your waist (you say you are a 32-34) take 20 away and your get 12-14 misses sizing in most stores.

And don't worry about shopping the other side of the aisle - there are more guys doing it as the girls are
    raiding the guys side.

Well, I'm the same size as you (32x34) and while your fit may be different, most of the size 12 jeans I've gotten fit pretty well. Just make sure you look for 12L (long or sometimes tall) because the regular or "average" length tend to be short on me - especially when sitting. I also like the flare look so I try to get boot-cuts but the amount of flare can vary a lot.

To get started, I really didn't do much more than look on Google for my equivalent women's size and head to Goodwill. I picked out a couple pair for $5 each and they worked out well. Maybe I just got lucky. But do watch out for the difference between women's and junior's sizing - juniors are quite a bit skinnier and much lower rise in my experience. I could put them on but they weren't comfortable at all.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by tall2826 View Post
    I have been wanting to get some girls pants/jeans and I really don't know how to go about it. From some research it looks like a size 10-12 will fit me and I am a 32,34 I guys pants. I want some low rise pants and that flare out at the bottom.
    Do you mean 32" waist, and 34" Inseam?

A Girls size '10-12' would be about 24"-25" for the waist...

I don't see how your size figure could be correct, but here's some information that may help you determine sizing better...

You might make a "Catalog misses' sizes: 5'5"-5'6" (165168 cm) tall, average bust, average back" ...'size-14' (Approx. size '18' in standard) with a 31" waist, and 41.5" Hip...

Here is a pretty good looking source for sizing...you can do some calculations based on the numbers. You'll also want to be sure that you are measuring yourself correctly...as was suggested...get a cloth measuring tape.

More on Vanity Sizing

Article: Why clothing sizes make no sense.

Marka's Tip: You can generally tell with these methods...whether or not to even try it on in the dressing room... or take it home.
    Take the pants off of the hangar/clip, but keep them flat...
    Take a hold with one in each hand, the side belt-loops, or side crease of the folded pants...and wrap around the front-half of your waist evenly... *and lower down for low-rise*
    you should be able to easily touch each side crease to the center of your waist side (about where your pelvic/hip bones are), then while still holding them there...check where the crotch, and leg-ends (hem) are...
    Don't despair...(it's only taken me a couple years to get used to)...
    Relax, don't rush...do your homework, and make a little cheat-sheet for the various sizes, and types of sizing...you'll be able to look at the inside tag...after you go to the correct section, and you'll know if it's even a possibility...then utilize my test-sizing tip...if you're brave enough (or confident enough) either go to the dressing room for the final...or proceed to check-out...don't forget to keep that receipt!

Have fun!
    -Marka

My suggestion would be to try them on. :p Sizing varies from brand to brand and generally seems to be just made up on the spot. babylock1 has a good guide to take your measurements, and you can use those to get in the ballpark of what might fit you. A long time ago I went to Forever 21 and found a pair of bell-bottoms (with a moderate flair) that actually used the 'mens' sizing, but I doubt they still sell those. In any case, it sounds like you're looking for bell-bottoms. They're my favourite kind of pants! Although, boot-cut is pretty much the ubiquitous style and also sounds similar to what you want.

As tall as you are you will need to look at misses tall sizes. I wear women's jeans all the time and I wear a misses size 14. The inseam on mine are 30" I believe. If your Shopping online study the size charts for
    misses tall sizes and the cut of the jeans you want.

- - - Updated - - -

As tall as you are you will need to look at misses tall sizes. I wear women's jeans all the time and I wear a misses size 14. The inseam on mine are 30" I believe. If your Shopping online study the size charts for
    misses tall sizes and the cut of the jeans you want.

I so suggest to go and try them on! I tried ordering several pairs from 10 to 14 in different brands and oh my gosh they couldn't believe how different a 12 in one brand was from another and had to return 6 of the 8 pairs I bought.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    I so suggest to go and try them on! I tried ordering several pairs from 10 to 14 in different brands and oh my gosh they couldn't believe how different a 12 in one brand was from another and had to return 6 of the 8 pairs I bought.
    i simply must agree with my transistor-sister on this; (wink)
    there is no better way to get the bestest fit then to do it in person right there in the store. that way one doesn't end up with a lot of useless clothes that they can't wear or that just don't look good on them. and besides that, there is no better feeling than the freedom of trying everything in the store on and seeing yourself in that full-length mirror that is always available in or near the women's dressing rooms.

isn't that right, Robin...

as an addendum;
    in the store one can check for the stretch of the denim that is used in the jeans; almost everyone uses some amount of stretch in women's and girls jeans these days. there is also the all-important washing instructions! never forget to read those before buying. there can be nuance's hidden in them that make wash-day a real problem.

and if going into the woman's or girls section of the store has some trepidation for you, try going into a specialty shop for women. i practically guarantee you that they know all about men who cross-dress in those places, and can be most understanding about it. what have you got to lose but your dignity, and you lose that every time you look in the mirror while dressed. so isn't it time to get some of that dignity back and go shopping the fun way... come on girls, this is how we did it before there was an internet!
    Last edited by littlelodgewrecker; 10-Aug-2013 at 19:44.

i don't know on this, my mom once got me girls jeans, they were on sell and fitted me just right :P but the point here, jeans are sooo same for girls and boys, unless its pink with fairys on it no one will know, it got its up side but its down side that it looks allmost like any other jeans, boy or girl, theres no diffrence, try skirt

Quote Originally Posted by babyyoni View Post
    i don't know on this, my mom once got me girls jeans, they were on sell and fitted me just right :P but the point here, jeans are sooo same for girls and boys, unless its pink with fairys on it no one will know, it got its up side but its down side that it looks allmost like any other jeans, boy or girl, theres no diffrence, try skirt
    in fashion conscious America it makes a big difference!