Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stuffed animal washing ?

Default Stuffed animal washing ?

Going to bed tonite and I was getting ready for bed when I accidentally set my plushie down next to a pre-burnt piece of wood.
    (I live in the basement and near the bathroom sink there was some wood I didn't know that was pre-burnt. Any hoo it is a larger size beanie boo and it says non machine washable on the tag. Does anybody here know how to clean and get rid of a ash stain off a plushie? Well enough excitment for the night ?

Use a damp rag to spot clean it as best you can, then use a paper towel, news paper, etc to wick off any excess moister and let it dry out if possible.

When finished, burn said piece of pre-burnt wood.

I usually clean my plushies gently by hand, especially the older ones. I'd be devastated if I were to put a plushy in the washing machine and see it fall apart. It takes a little longer, but I think the peace of mind is worth the extra time and effort. It can even be fun.

The approach I take is to wipe them down using a baby wipe, making sure to clean all the awkward spots such as the ears, underarms and so on. I then spray them with Febreeze (apologising to them if it goes in their eyes!) and leave them to dry in the sun.

You can prevent the plushy's fur from becoming matted by occasionally fluffing it up using a brush while the plushy is drying. They usually dry very quickly as only the outside is damp. I tend to give them another quick wipe down when they're almost dry to remove the Febreeze scent.

as said before, baby wipes are the best, you can also soke them in water and soup and hang them to dry, but it can mess the inside a bit, if you hang them, take lovs or some cheap super baby diaper and dry them, it should do the trick and it will look sooooooooooooooooo cute, i allways diaper up my plushy pinkie pie when i can, even when shes not wet, its fun to pet her diaperd but :P

RainbowShy

If you have a delicate setting on your washer and dryer, use that. That's what I use for my plushies. Just add a little detergent and fabric softener too, not much... just a little. I've used this setting for a long time, and it has not ruined any of my stuffed animals or plushies. They come out looking brand new. ^_^

I accidentally ruined one of my plushies by washing and drying them. I was young and stupid. He is still comfortable to sleep with. but he isn't as soft as what he used to be. Thankfully he was able to be replaced.

Mild dish soap and if needed a hand brush. Not sure if you would want to , but I scotched guarded my Teddy.

Quote Originally Posted by AutisticChessie View Post
    If you have a delicate setting on your washer and dryer, use that. That's what I use for my plushies. Just add a little detergent and fabric softener too, not much... just a little. I've used this setting for a long time, and it has not ruined any of my stuffed animals or plushies. They come out looking brand new. ^_^
    I'd advise against this if the label on the plushy says 'hand wash only'. The usual reason they put this on labels is that the stuffing used in the plushy can be badly affected. It can clump up, seep out or even melt if the plushie uses plastic beads as stuffing!

Sorry I forgot to say this, but on the night I posted this thread I soon afterward I did a sample washing( using laudry soap on a damp cloth ) I did this the night I went to bed. I don't know if I should have done that, it was slightly wet behind the head and I went to bed with it like this . The next day it was mainly dry, I let it dry out in my open window the following day. Now the stain appears to be sunk in and faded. Is there a possiblity that it might have mold in it ?

Quote Originally Posted by ChubbyMower View Post
    Sorry I forgot to say this, but on the night I posted this thread I soon afterward I did a sample washing( using laudry soap on a damp cloth ) I did this the night I went to bed. I don't know if I should have done that, it was slightly wet behind the head and I went to bed with it like this . The next day it was mainly dry, I let it dry out in my open window the following day. Now the stain appears to be sunk in and faded. Is there a possiblity that it might have mold in it ?
    I wouldn't be too concerned about mold if you just used a damp cloth/washcloth. It sucks the stain is still there though.

I've kinda of always wonder why dry cleaners can't or won't do stuffed animals.