Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Satellite Internet

Default Satellite Internet

Well I may be getting satellite internet though EarthLink. There is a major downside. That being, Download Threshold - 200 mb in 24 hrs.

The only reason we are getting it out here is because I have not yet found and dsl or cable provides out here.

That cap sucks dude... My buddy Tim has satellite internet connection, and when he hits the cap, the internet becomes unavailable for 24 hours... ouch. But If you can live within that cap, I guess it's pretty cool. The latency is somewhat high if you were planning on gaming with it, but it browses the web pretty fast.

yeah I wish I could find something else out here

I don't know how far " in the woods" you are, so this may not be a valid option. My Mom lives about 10-12 miles from a small city, outside of dsl and cable services, and she has a microwave link set up to an isp in town. It's a line of sight connection, so I don't think it would work well in hilly terrain (unless you are on top of the hill). If you are anywhere near a city/ town with a local isp, you might check into it.

Quote Originally Posted by baby_mike View Post
    there is a major downside. That being, download threshold - 200 mb in 24 hrs.
    eww.

I Pray a DSL or Cable provider will be in your area very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by snapcrotch View Post
    I don't know how far " in the woods" you are, so this may not be a valid option. My Mom lives about 10-12 miles from a small city, outside of dsl and cable services, and she has a microwave link set up to an isp in town. It's a line of sight connection, so I don't think it would work well in hilly terrain (unless you are on top of the hill). If you are anywhere near a city/ town with a local isp, you might check into it.
    My best friend has a similar setup, though I don't think it's microwave, I think I did some research and found out it was high power 800Mhz range gear. It's not really LOS, and the throughput is decent for what it is. He's able to play WoW with decent latency, and run Ventrilo with low latency at the same time, so it can't be too bad I guess. He's out of range of cable companies, and DSL of course.

Yeah, I have satellite, too, because that's all I can get where I live. It's not perfect, but it's better than dial-up. The company mine is through (Hughes) lifts the download cap late at night (I think it's from 2 am until 7 am now), so if I have to download anything, I set my download manager to do it then. You might want to check and see if yours has anything like that...

Oh, I wonder if my friend knows that... I should tell him to look into that, it would definitely solve some serious problems, thanks for posting that information!

Now that you mention it ( the 800mHz stuff) I think we have a provider that may use cell band, or Wi-Max to provide wireless internet in our city.

At least it's a possibility.