Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Explosive Rage

Default Explosive Rage

Ever since I can remember, I have suffered from occasional bouts of explosive rage. When I was a kid, I had access to school psychologists and psychotherapy and it helped. In fact, I miss seeing a therapist but as I am uninsured and working-poor, I can't afford a shrink.

Stress and anxiety are major triggers. Feeling helpless to change situations that cause stress and anxiety compound it. I don't know how to process these things in a healthy, constructive manner. I liken my attempts to deal with these things as bailing out a boat, but the bucket keeps getting smaller and the water keeps flooding in faster. Sooner or later, something that may seem innocuous will set me off and all of that rage that has been bottling up inside me will explode forth. It's not pretty. I yell. I scream. I hit myself in the face and sometimes break objects. I scare myself and my husband when he is around to see it. The worst part is the day or two long crushing depression that follows it, because I feel like I will never be able to live without this happening to me.

I would love to take some type of anger management but I don't know how to go to that without being sentenced, hehe, and I really don't want to go there because a court orders me to. And I don't want to scare or hurt myself or anyone around me anymore.

Diapers, age regression, being AB... that helps me deal with stress a lot more, but it's not foolproof. It doesn't always work if the circumstances push me too fast. I'm open to suggestions, if anyone else has had to live with this and can share their experiences.

This happens on average once a month with me, though it's usually directed internally. They're called meltdowns and happen when I get overwhelmed by too many factors loading up; a sight, a smell or a sound that most people can overlook can light the fuse as it were.

The sooner you can recognize, identify and avoid the triggers the better. I've had a few wins so far when I could see the pattern developing and was able to nip it in the bud. Not all but some, which is better than none.

I subscribed to the myth for a while that regressing or wearing was supposed to be some magical stress-be-gone, while it has redirected my outlook on some things when dealing with Other People's Stupidity it's really the same as playing music or something else you enjoy; if something gets in the way of your enjoyment it can be diffiult to power through things when you're just not feeling it

I'm wondering if we are suppressing our baby urges to much. I know I need to get back out on my own so I can be me. I need to get back to felling relaxed about myself.

Breathing exercises, meditation and martial arts really helped my anger problems. Punching bags are a great way to release excess energy, and you won't break them. I also cut the poisonous people out of my life. I don't waste my energy on people who are negative all the time.

Lastly, diapers always make me feel relaxed. I guess being on this forum makes that obvious.

Hello

There is crisis hot lines in your area that you can call. I have done it twice and it was a big help for me.

If you look in the phone book or Google Crisis hotlines with your city and address that should give you the number.

The anger management classes are available in your local area, but they do cost anywhere from $75 and up.

You may also be able to find psychiatric help on a sliding fee basis with your local county health office.

I hope these few tidbits help.

Quote Originally Posted by LaLoneDigi View Post
    Breathing exercises, meditation and martial arts really helped my anger problems.
    that helped me, too.
    as with many things, if you nip it (the rage) in the bud, it never gets out of hand. the trick in the first instance is to recognize the welling rage before it overtakes you. you can then more easily quell it or direct it to some good.

I have had similar explosions of rage, so to speak, but I just tend to try and talk with anyone who will listen, and not get the wrong idea, instead of just going off like a bomb. That and I tend to, when in a rage, go down to my basement and do bench presses until either i'm out of anger, or out of muscle.

I am a big proponent of exercise to blow off steam, it releases endorphins that make you feel better. if I want to punish my self for something I like to make it productive like running or ridiculous amounts of squats. I also tell the kids I work with to try to focus their anger and energy into stuff like mechanics, or wood working (don't know if you like this stuff but its an idea). Last time my wife and I had a fight I totally rewired my Harley in 9 hours time, and when I came up stairs I was so relaxed I just let the fight go.

I can't let myself reach the point of explosive rage . I get in big trouble when I do. Last time I did I found myself strapped to a gurney in the hospital . When I reach that stage its like an A Bomb going off. That person sure isn't me.

Quote Originally Posted by pkarm6172 View Post
    I am a big proponent of exercise to blow off steam, it releases endorphins that make you feel better. if I want to punish my self for something I like to make it productive like running or ridiculous amounts of squats.
    I was a competitive strength athlete until about 18 months ago. Got a severe case of sciatica in which I was in severe pain off and on for most of 2012 until about the fall. My left foot has partial numbness and I don't trust myself to really work out anymore. I couldn't get an MRI because I have no health insurance and no money to pay out of pocket. I was on pain meds till about September of 2012. I'm not in severe pain anymore but I worry that I still have a bulging disk that us putting pressure on my nerve. Not being able to lift, exercise, and compete has contributed greatly to my stress and anxiety and robbed me of a means to drain off that energy.

I also tell the kids I work with to try to focus their anger and energy into stuff like mechanics, or wood working (don't know if you like this stuff but its an idea). Last time my wife and I had a fight I totally rewired my Harley in 9 hours time, and when I came up stairs I was so relaxed I just let the fight go.
    I am creative, I like to write music, but when I am bordering on a rage, I can't concentrate. Usually I write music after I've had an episode, but it doesn't work trying to do it before or to substitute writing a song for smashing something.