Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cyberbullying?

RainbowShy

Default Cyberbullying?

I figured this was a good debate to start. I've always wanted to what peoples opinions are on this since there are a lot of people who don't think it's real. However, as a victim of someone who has been bullied before online, I know for a fact that it's real.

There's also movie called Cyberbully that really puts it into perspective as being a serious issue. People have actually committed suicide because of users who have told them they are worthless and need to die. I've seen articles about it. I can't remember some of the articles though... but yeah.

A lot of times, people think it's just words on a screen. There's nothing to feel so hurt about, right? Well to me, anything can have a big impact on someone. Maybe not for others, but it depends on the person. Some can shrug it off and ignore it while others can easily be affected if it keeps going on all the time.

What's your take on cyberbullying? Do you think it exists?

I promise I won't hate on anyone's opinions on this.

It definitely exists. This has been plastered all over the news in the UK (and I try to avoid news, so if I know about it, it must really be a talking point): BBC News - Hannah Smith death: Police investigate further abuse on family

I've never been bullied online (mainly because I was 18 before anyone started getting internet access). And... in a way, it's seems a weird thing. I don't know what someone online could say that would really upset me... If they started to have a go, I'd just ignore them (or petulantly try to have the last word and be equally mean back... [not one of my strong points]).

But I can imagine if I was at school and everyone "had" to be part of online social networks in order to (try to) maintain the same kind of social life that everyone else was having at school, it could potentially be disastrous. Sure you can ignore an online "friend"... but not if you have to see them (and all of their friends and your friends) at school the next day. If that kind of bullying happened, it would feel like you couldn't ignore it or escape.

I have pretty bad social anxiety, so I keep people at arms length and... well... I have friends in real life, but... I find it really hard to maintain online relationships. I find it much easier to just talk face-to-face. I may have a gold name on ADISC but I still feel like an outsider. Writing my thoughts out to someone is really hard -- it's much easier to just reply to a post I'm interested in (i.e. a logical debate is easier than intimate small talk). So I find it really hard to connect with people online.

If I didn't... if I had some kind of site where I felt like everyone knew me and one person spent their time trying to ridicule me, it would be pretty hard to just leave or ignore them... But I'm not like that so it doesn't affect me now.

But I'm pretty glad I grew up before the internet came along and allowed the bullies to taunt you out of school as well... I can imagine that it must be pretty awful for some kids...

RainbowShy

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    It definitely exists. This has been plastered all over the news in the UK (and I try to avoid news, so if I know about it, it must really be a talking point): BBC News - Hannah Smith death: Police investigate further abuse on family

I've never been bullied online (mainly because I was 18 before anyone started getting internet access). And... in a way, it's seems a weird thing. I don't know what someone online could say that would really upset me... If they started to have a go, I'd just ignore them (or petulantly try to have the last word and be equally mean back... [not one of my strong points]).

But I can imagine if I was at school and everyone "had" to be part of online social networks in order to (try to) maintain the same kind of social life that everyone else was having at school, it could potentially be disastrous. Sure you can ignore an online "friend"... but not if you have to see them (and all of their friends and your friends) at school the next day. If that kind of bullying happened, it would feel like you couldn't ignore it or escape.

Now I'm an adult, I can't see how it would ever be a problem (for the majority of adults), but... well... I'm pretty glad I grew up before the bullies could taunt you out of school as well...
    That's true too. There's actually a lot of ways someone can do it online. The reason why is because if they hide behind a username and a fake picture, it's easier for them to get away with. That's the hard part about cyberbullying. However, there are instances where... if you report it to the police, they can track the person and find whoever was responsible for it. But that's not always the case since some states, even countries don't realize that cyberbullying is a big issue. That's why they end up getting away with it.

You should watch Cyberbully. It really puts the idea of cyberbullying into perspective. It's a perfect example of how horrible it is and how little it's known.

Quote Originally Posted by AutisticChessie View Post
    A lot of times, people think it's just words on a screen. There's nothing to feel so hurt about, right?

words on a screen

words
    Essentially, then, we have people who think cyberbullying is not real because it is not physical harm. Only words. Well, words are quite powerful. They can be especially powerful to people who are likely targets of bullying in the first place. Hurtful words can do quite a lot of damage to someone.

Anyone who has faced verbal bullying and/or emotional abuse in the past can tell you firsthand that it's like getting a knife jabbed into your brain and twirled around. You don't know what to believe, anymore. You think you're the cause of most problems. You think you deserve whatever is happening to you. You tell yourself that if a lot of these bullies agree that you're a loser, statistically speaking, you must be one!

And that's one big issue with cyberbullying. It can happen on a massive scale. One embarrassing photo or video and you could potentially be laughed at by about a million people. Not only that, but some of the comments you would get on said video or photo or in several places around the internet will be devastating. Think something along the lines of: Kill Yourself. And somehow make it worse than that (usually by way of a list of reasons) and that's what these, normally young people, are getting. It happened to lots of people. Remember Star Wars Kid? He's still messed up because of that! I'm not sure I'd even be around to tell the tale if that had been me!

That's not to say that smaller scale cyber attacks aren't an issue. They are too. Even one good troll could push a fragile person right over the edge. And it's not up to someone to judge what amount of pain it takes for another person to cry. You may be pretty immune to a verbal attack, but that doesn't mean another person is / "should be" too. You don't know their life. You don't know what they've been through!

Also, I'm not sure it's a problem solely for children and teenagers. I imagine anyone of any age could be cyberbullied. Older people might be more immune to things like that, through wisdom and life experience, but not all the time. Not all adults have equal amounts of emotional strength.

So, this is really awful, but why's it happening? Technically, it's because of deindividuation and for those not arsed to open up the link, I'll quickly explain: On the internet, you can SO easily turn into one of the faceless, nameless mob. You can forget who you are. You can go rogue - (against the person you used to be). And it's so very easy to have it happen to you, especially when you've never heard of this particular mind trick. Good people can do bad things when they're part of a big group. And no single raindrop thinks its responsible for the flood.

What should we do about it? There's really only one thing you can do in bullying situations that has been proven to help. Stand up for the person being attacked. If you like, you can report it. But as someone who actually was bullied, what mattered to me the very most out of anything else, was seeing even just one person join my side. Just one person, against a mob, was all it took to sometimes get me back on my feet. Once it was a teacher, another time it was just some stranger, another time it was a kid in my class who had way more courage than anyone else in that class.

And don't forget who you are. Don't post things that go against your values. I would normally say to never post anything that would humiliate you if your post was published under your real name - but this is a forum for adult babies and diaper lovers. So... how about you just make sure to follow the golden rule and call it a day. And don't become part of the freaking flood, little raindrops.
    Last edited by Frogsy; 09-Aug-2013 at 00:40. Reason: explaining a thing

"The Pen is Mightier than the Sword" That would apply to the keyboard these days. For some to say that they are just words on the screen do not understand what the person on the other end might think. Cyber bullying in no different than being bullied on the school playground. Word are only word some may say, but some words hurt. Social Networking seems to bring out the worst in some people.

I believe that the main problem is parents not paying attention to their children online. Also children not being taught correctly anything anymore. At some point is your responsibility to not communicate. You need to turn off that form of communication. Every social network allows you to block, people need to start using that feature more often.
    Far beyond anything though is the need for parents to pay attention to their children online. Bullying existed schoolyards lomg before Internet and we just called it life. There's a major breakdown in this generation's society

Cherub

Quote Originally Posted by AutisticChessie View Post
    That's true too. The reason why is because if they hide behind a username and a fake picture, it's easier for them to get away with.
    The terminalogy I use and have heard is called keyboard commando. It's MUCH easier to hide behind a computer and through text, mouth off to something or someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogsy View Post
    Even one good troll could push a fragile person right over the edge.

Older people might be more immune to things like that, through wisdom and life experience, but not all the time. Not all adults have equal amounts of emotional strength.
    I see the pattern right there. A lot of people this day-in-age remain behind a computer rather than go out into the real world and build up, for themselves, that emotional strength.

On a side note, I think that computers have had a degradation effect to how people interact. What you might have difficulty with saying directly to someone's face, you can easily say, and more, from across the internet with little consideration.

I don't understand emotionally fragile people. But I do know they exist. Just like people with other forms of social phobias. It is real, so the bullying effect is real as well. I've been through a rough childhood. I didn't grow fragile. I grew stronger. Someone once told me that I can sometimes act as though I am emotionally armor-plated.

I just want to say that maybe if you are that emotionally unstable that you are willing to kill yourself over words you should probably get some professional help. Or at the least stay off the internet.

What is "cyber-bullying" exactly? I don't understand why so many people think it's a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathcoreFTW View Post
    I just want to say that maybe if you are that emotionally unstable that you are willing to kill yourself over words you should probably get some professional help. Or at the least stay off the internet.
    But that would mean having to be accountable for your own actions. Why would you ever want to do that? Lol.