Thread: Regarding Plastic Pants

Default Regarding Plastic Pants

For those of you living with parents or with other people not in-the-know, how do you guys handle plastic pants? I really don't want to risk putting it through the laundry with my other clothes, but even if that worked out, the real problem would seem to be drying them. I've been told that drying them in a machine dryer will ruin them pretty quickly, and attempts so far have revealed that these things don't dry very quickly. Just wondering what ideas you guys have come up with when you obviously can't just hang them outside on a clothesline lol...

Place bath towel inside pant and wipe dry outside with a second towel. Turn pants inside out and repeat. Continue process till totally dry.

Unlined plastic pants? Just give 'em a good shaking and call 'em done! Drying cloth diapers is one thing, but plastic pants are... plastic.

The elastic will hold water even if you wipe them dry. Try putting them in a pillowcase, and turning them inside out after a couple days. They won't dry fast, but they will eventually get there. I hang mine on pants hangers from the drycleaners- just pull the metal hanger out from one side of the cardboard tube that the pants are supposed to hang on, then run the cardboard tube through both leg holes, so the plastic pants hang upside down. If you did this, maybe you could put a shirt or a jacket on the hanger to hide the plastic pants

Quote Originally Posted by carstoncouche View Post
    The elastic will hold water even if you wipe them dry. Try putting them in a pillowcase, and turning them inside out after a couple days. They won't dry fast, but they will eventually get there. I hang mine on pants hangers from the drycleaners- just pull the metal hanger out from one side of the cardboard tube that the pants are supposed to hang on, then run the cardboard tube through both leg holes, so the plastic pants hang upside down. If you did this, maybe you could put a shirt or a jacket on the hanger to hide the plastic pants
    ooh, I'll have to try the hanger thing, that sounds about right for my situation

I wear mine in the shower, no diaper of course. They eventually fill with water, and fall off. just some fun whilst cleaning them in the soapy water.
    Wearing them under my pants is the only way of getting them out of my room unnoticed if you need to worry about that.

I too put them on a plastic hanger and let them hang dry. Because my adult kids live nearby and drop in, I hang mine up to dry in the farthest reaches of the basement. I too was thinking you could hang dry them in your closet, with something around them. I also wash mine when I'm in the shower. The fun never ends!

Quote Originally Posted by WBxx View Post
    Place bath towel inside pant and wipe dry outside with a second towel. Turn pants inside out and repeat. Continue process till totally dry.
    This is how I do it, they dry in seconds with a quick towel rub. Especially if you have the basic ones like when we were toddlers that just have the plastic folded over rubber bands at the edges so there is no cloth/elastic to get soaked.

I do the same thing wash them when I shower and hang them on a plastic hangar through a leg hole and let them air dry.

Exactly! Why all the fuss to 'wash' them? Wipe down with damp cloth, wet-wipe, or isopropyl alcohol on paper towel.

Nothing to dry, really. Many washing detergents & certainly bleach will attack the vinyl and shorten its life, make
    it brittle and crack. OTOH, rubber materials deteriorate rapidly in the wash: for those, wipe off, powder treat to dry.

Keep them in the open to air dry, don't stack or cover. Never fold, mutilate or spindle. Ha!