Thread: Night problems

Default Night problems

So I'm after a hand from anyone who has tried the 'stop liquids before bed' aspect of bed wetting.

I'm a stress wetter, so it's only when uni is full on that I wear a night nappy. However this semester is HIGHLY stressful, and I'm seeing someone. It's never happened when I've been sharing a bed, and I don't want him to know.

So my question is, when I'm not too stressed and sharing a bed with guy or my housemate, As we have some sleepovers (and she knows my secret). How many hours before bed should I not drink? Is it successful?

It's not wise to stop drinking before bed. Your body goes 8 hours on average without food or liquids and requires it to maintain sleep (water part is more important than food). If you dehydrate yourself, you will more than likely have poorer sleep. What I would suggest is to stay away from every diuretic before bed and large volumes of liquids. Around 5Oz should be fine for the night assuming you're not massively dehydrated. It's also very reccomended to go to the bathroom right before you go to sleep,

Here is one source to the no water before bed thing. Bedwetting: Nighttime Routines That Can Lead to Dry Nights. You'll see in the last section it suggests similar to me, just a little bit, not a lot. I also don't think it'd matter much if it talks about a child vs an adult. Water should still be water.
    (if any of this info is very poor send me a PM. I am confident this info is accurate.)

There's too many variables to say with certainty...but it might be of more use to avoid caffeine, and alcohol or such that has diuretic properties much beyond the afternoon. Also spicy foods may irritate the bladder which may cause spasms. I would advise you to look into various relaxation techniques, and reduce salt intake if you consume a lot.

Yes I've tried adjusting my liquid intake before bed, but all it seemed to really affect was how much I wet...not if I wet...your results may differ vastly...

Good luck!
    -Marka

Well,

When little my parents tried this...to little to no success!

It did however cause many a bad night...your body needs fluids...

I've experimented over the years...

My best luck was.....

Drink lots of fluids all day...your dehydrated if your urine isn't nearly clear during the day...

Drinking nothing but water after say noon-2 relax one hour before sleeping...

And before you fall asleep to goto the loo...

As for restricting fluids that hasn't ever helped...in fact it made things worse...I think your body starts hoarding water similar to when you don't eat, you body starts to slow down your metabolism...

B

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbabybret View Post
    ...restricting fluids that hasn't ever helped...in fact it made things worse...I think your body starts hoarding water similar to when you don't eat, you body starts to slow down your metabolism...

B
    My urologist and doctor have both told me the same thing.

Restricting fluid intake too much (for me at least) leaves me with a more irritable bladder. I go with "keeping an eye" on how much i drink and eat. Found this works best for sleeping issues and also keeps me going throughout the day without 20,000 bathroom visits. I simply just slow down my intake when I start nearing the evening.

I find Tea to be the worst thing for me, it goes straight through, day or night. Once, many years ago I got so fed up of bedwetting that I drank nothing at all one day and still wet the bed so I gave up on that idea.
    Milk is my favourite and I take a small amount with me when I go to bed incase I get a dry mouth during the night.

For many of us it doesn't matter what time we cut our intake of fluids off, bed wetting is going to happen any ways.

The "limit intake" idea is more of a "keep your intake reasonable". In other words, don't slam a 1L an hour before bed. Don't run the entire coffee pot this evening.

If you cut your water intake too low, you're going to have some issues:
    1. headache. one of the body's natural reactions to dehydration. getting back to sleep with a headache sucks.
    2. concentrated urine. your kidneys will still extract uric acid etc, but with less water to 'wash it down', it actually makes your kidneys work a little harder. it also concentrates the waste in your bladder, which will A) possibly irritate it, B) increase risk of bladder/tract infection if you're already prone to it, C) if you DO happen to wet the bed it's going to stain the sheets and mattress worse and smell more
    3. likely to wake up at night quite thirsty
    4. sinuses are likely to dry up more than normal overnight, could lead to snoring, sleep-apnea, etc

So rather than saying "ok I'm going to drink nothing after 7pm", try "I'm only going to sip on two drinks this evening, try to be wrapped up before 8:30, and empty my bladder fully just before bed even if I don't feel I have to go". Go for moderation, not extremes.

I try to reduce intake as bedtime approaches. Sometimes I go too far on it though. I wake up frequently anyway, and sometimes when I wake up I'm feeling a little thirsty. I keep a bottle of water beside my bed, and attached a bit of aquarium air hose on it so I can reach over and grab the "super long straw", have a sip, and go back to sleep without even raising my head. Helps me keep adequately hydrated if I didn't drink enough that night before bed. I used to wake up with headaches somewhat often, and that's put a stop to that.

Quote Originally Posted by beeeblebum View Post
    So I'm after a hand from anyone who has tried the 'stop liquids before bed' aspect of bed wetting.

I'm a stress wetter, so it's only when uni is full on that I wear a night nappy. However this semester is HIGHLY stressful, and I'm seeing someone. It's never happened when I've been sharing a bed, and I don't want him to know.

So my question is, when I'm not too stressed and sharing a bed with guy or my housemate, As we have some sleepovers (and she knows my secret). How many hours before bed should I not drink? Is it successful?
    never ever stop liquids. You can get more illnesses and side effects

I found it doesn't really matter! I wet in my sleep no matter what. But we all have different issues.