Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I was a Retarded Child (AUTISM)

Default I was a Retarded Child (AUTISM)

I know there still is an Autism thread still open but I want to talk about some the struggles that people who have Autism go through.

I was diagnosed as being mildly mentally retarded in the 3rd grade, today we know it as Autism. After being diagnosed the school wanted me to be placed into Special Ed, that a label the school had placed on me as being Emotionally impaired. My parents said No. They wanted their child in normal classes.

It wasn't until I was in Jr. High that the school got around that and placed me into Remedial classes. The others kids called them the Dumb kids classes.

Now I want to list some of he things that I have had difficulties with.

Spelling- I'm lucky if I have 4th grading spelling. I use spell check all the time.

Grammar- Not able to find the right words for what I want to say. having a problem composing my thought into something readable.

Socializing- Have always had a problem with getting to meet new people afraid I might say something wrong. I had in the past and that were the problem began.

Communication skills- A problem of not finding the right words for what I want to talk about.

Retaining information- There seems to be somethings that my mind does not absorb and I need to be shown again how do some things.

Some may think this a well laid out post, and don't see much wrong with it. But I have been working on this for two days thinking of how I wanted to present it.

These are just some of the things were I have problems there are more.

I would say that a lot of people with Autism will have some of the same things on their list and even more.

We with Autism face many struggles that most do not understand.

Thanks for Reading.

Quote Originally Posted by kennyrallen View Post
    I know there still is an Autism thread still open but I want to talk about some the struggles that people who have Autism go through.

I was diagnosed as being mildly mentally retarded in the 3rd grade, today we know it as Autism. After being diagnosed the school wanted me to be placed into Special Ed, that a label the school had placed on me as being Emotionally impaired. My parents said No. They wanted their child in normal classes.

It wasn't until I was in Jr. High that the school got around that and placed me into Remedial classes. The others kids called them the Dumb kids classes.

Spelling- I'm lucky if I have 4th grading spelling. I use spell check all the time.

Grammar- Not able to find the right words for what I want to say. having a problem composing my thought into something readable.

Socializing- Have always had a problem with getting to meet new people afraid I might say something wrong. I had in the past and that were the problem began.

Communication skills- A problem of not finding the right words for what I want to talk about.

Retaining information- There seems to be somethings that my mind does not absorb and I need to be shown again how do some things.

Some may think this a well laid out post, and don't see much wrong with it. But I have been working on this for two days thinking of how I wanted to present it.

I would say that a lot of people with Autism will have some of the same things on their list and even more.

Thanks for Reading.
    Wow Kenny. This really makes me sad. My wife was department head for special education at the same junior high school where I am employed as an Instructional Assistant. Over the years, we've seen many changes in the way public schools address disabilities. Last year, for one period, I was assigned to a student with Autism. Now, inclusion is the norm, rather than the exception.

As a grade school student, I spent a considerable amount of time either standing in the hall, or in the clothes closet because I was a talker. ADHD hadn't been identified. Somehow I made it through, but I got into a lot of trouble, and there was no help, just yelling and punishing.

It's never easy for educators to cope with children with disabilities, but we do a better job at it than in the past. There are no easy solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Wow Kenny. This really makes me sad. My wife was department head for special education at the same junior high school where I am employed as an Instructional Assistant. Over the years, we've seen many changes in the way public schools address disabilities. Last year, for one period, I was assigned to a student with Autism. Now, inclusion is the norm, rather than the exception.

As a grade school student, I spent a considerable amount of time either standing in the hall, or in the clothes closet because I was a talker. ADHD hadn't been identified. Somehow I made it through, but I got into a lot of trouble, and there was no help, just yelling and punishing.

It's never easy for educators to cope with children with disabilities, but we do a better job at it than in the past. There are no easy solutions.
    They had me tested after I barely made it out the second grade for the second time. Spending two years in the second grade some one knew something wasn't right. I know a lot has changed Teachers are more educated on what signs to look for.

i wasnt diagnosed with aspergers until I was 15.....
    and yeah, it can be tough living with it. it only ever seems to be math that ever gives me mush hassle, and I'm exceptionally social for someone with aspergers. I may not exactly be the best at social situations, but I do love to socialize and meet new people.my biggest weakness is that my short term memory is awful, but my long term memory is way above average. I remember all sorts of things from when I was 2, yet I can't for the life of me, remember what my dad asked me to do tomorrow when I talked to him yesterday.

I was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome in 2004- well into adulthood and it explained a lot to me as I had a tough time growing up because of the social issues and all the problems that were mostly diagnosed as severe ADHD. My aunt suspected I was autistic off and on due to her background as a special education teacher. She was the first one to bring it up to me while I was visiting her one time and helping her set up her classroom before the upcoming school year.

To me, the Asperger's diagnosis explains a lot to me. I feel better since I was diagnosed and I feel like my past is the past.

I've also learned how to be more social and I've also learned how to handle things better.

My greatest strengths with Asperger's is my heightened memory for detail, locations and what have you- In fact my family calls me the human GPS sometimes... I also tend to be very obsessive about subjects too; subjects such as Star Trek, baseball, football, pro wrestling and obsessions towards TV shows as well.

WildThing121675

Quote Originally Posted by kennyrallen View Post

Thanks for Reading.
    Thanks Kenny for taking the time to post this. I don't personally know you but can say that I'm proud of your resolve and effort in writing this. It also takes courage to explain such difficulties to a silent audience.

I certainly take such explanations to heart as I learn about many things that others have gone through and would be hard to imagine without a first-hand description of them.

The brain is a wierd thing. Not even the best of them perfect. One person may be a genius at one thing and another gifted at another. Some lack a scope of perception while some struggle with cognition. Everyone lacks something and is gifted in areas as well. Autism just happens to be one that is more visible on the outside. It involves struggles dealing with effective communication which is perceived outwardly. Other struggles may not be so evident. Persons suffering from anxiety or depression often are able to hide them or learned to disquise them. There are literally thousands of 'crutches' that folks use to peruse through the maze of life. Some are learned, some are instinctual. Some are life-threatening while some are mastered.

I can say that I am personally glad you are here and I read everything you post.
    Last edited by ilostthesheriff; 06-Aug-2013 at 12:00.

i was diagnosed with bipolar and tourettes in 7th grade. i understand where difficulties may arise related to ones condition, i've been there. i used to be heavily medicated, even with the meds i wasnt normal and they often made me sleepy/zombish, i found it hard making friends as most kids in school wanted nothing to do with me, finally my senior year i had my own group of followers thus making me king of the rejects. but once i moved out of my parents i couldnt afford medication. when i came off the meds after taking them for 7 or 8 years i was an entirely different person than i had been. i had to relearn how to socialize and have feelings. now that im 3 or 4 years down the road im so glad that i dont take meds anymore cause they really kept me from being who i am. i have developed a decent amount of control over myself now, i dont have ticks nearly as bad as i used to, and i rarely experience explosions or depression. the only real issue i have anymore is making descisions quickly/easily which is related to bipolar. regardless of this fact i love who i am and i hardly ever think of myself as being bipolar or having tourettes. i am who i am, this is who i am no matter what, and id rather be myself than some lethargic zombie. This may not pertain to everybody, but you should always accept your true self for who you really are. Dont feel bad about who you are or what some doctor tells you, enjoy yourself always, because every single one of us is our own kind of special.

Quote Originally Posted by askmelater47 View Post
    i was diagnosed with bipolar and tourettes in 7th grade. i understand where difficulties may arise related to ones condition, i've been there. i used to be heavily medicated, even with the meds i wasnt normal and they often made me sleepy/zombish, i found it hard making friends as most kids in school wanted nothing to do with me, finally my senior year i had my own group of followers thus making me king of the rejects. but once i moved out of my parents i couldnt afford medication. when i came off the meds after taking them for 7 or 8 years i was an entirely different person than i had been. i had to relearn how to socialize and have feelings. now that im 3 or 4 years down the road im so glad that i dont take meds anymore cause they really kept me from being who i am. i have developed a decent amount of control over myself now, i dont have ticks nearly as bad as i used to, and i rarely experience explosions or depression. the only real issue i have anymore is making descisions quickly/easily which is related to bipolar. regardless of this fact i love who i am and i hardly ever think of myself as being bipolar or having tourettes. i am who i am, this is who i am no matter what, and id rather be myself than some lethargic zombie. This may not pertain to everybody, but you should always accept your true self for who you really are. Dont feel bad about who you are or what some doctor tells you, enjoy yourself always, because every single one of us is our own kind of special.
    Well stated. An offering of perspective into a different equation of the story.

Someone very close to me was prescribed medication for anger and anxiety. They didn't like the way the meds made them feel. It was described to me as "making you feel like you were only half there or a fraction of yourself." This person turned to naturall remedies and excersize for feeling better and it definately made a difference.

When I read your post I found it almost hard to believe. Not that I doubt you but in going back over your past posts I found them to be very well written and well thought out.
    Now I’m even more impressed knowing what you have dealt with and are dealing with today. I’m just a little older than you but I well remember the “Dum-Dumb class” stuck away in a basement corner classroom of my high school. Somehow I always thought this was wrong.
    Keep it up! I enjoy reading your posts and wish a lot of others would spend the time expressing their thoughts as well as you do.

I'll commend you for being honest about your situation. It's not the best hand to have received in this (proverbial) game of cards, but you seem to cope decently enough. I'm glad to see that you're taking a more proactive approach to it than some people I've met in some situations, as a positive attitude can mean a lot when you're dealing with a stressful situation.

In regard to your issues with Spelling and Grammar, I can honestly say you seem to make well thought out posts, maybe even better than average.

Also, I think you're correct about the education system coming a long way in the past years, and I hope it improves more.