Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hating Plastic Pants

Default Hating Plastic Pants

I've always had a HUGE distaste for plastic pants. I dont wear them over my diapers and I never will despite the fact that it protects you from leaks and such. I never understood why I hated them so much; I know a lot of users love them because they wore cloth diapers and wore plastic pants with them. Since I wore disposables I couldn't figure out why I hated them so. I finally figured it out after looking through some old photos. I had to wear plastic pants over my my training pants when I was potty training. I can only assume I hate them so much because they are associated with potty training which was not pleasant. Can anyone else relate to this? Did potty training make you hate plastic pants?

I can relate to this with plastic backed disposables when I started to get into this 2.5 years ago. Just like you, I've had bad experience after bad experience with not just plastic disposables specifically, but disposables in general. I found out that cloth diapers worked much better and finally transitioned to them full time.

This is sooo sad, plastic is security, plastic is comfort, plastic saves wet nighties, plastic saves.....

i don't like plastic pants, for a simple reson, i live in israel, a very hot contry, its too hot in that plastic pants, diapers are very hot alone, with plastic pants? its like an oven

Giggles, I live in Australia, it's hot also, but, no wet clothes, hehehe

I live in North Texas and it's hot here. I've found PUL diaper covers to be a lot better than plastic pants.

I can sort of relate, but in a different way. I wore Gerber style plastic pants over cloth diapers as a baby. In kindergarten and elementary school years when I went back to diapers, I wore disposables. I continued wearing disposables until my mid-twenties when I went back to try plastic pants. I hated my first adult pairs, they didn't fit my legs well and left marks on my skin. In my late 20's when I finally found some plastic pants that fit well, I really liked them. Today, I wear mostly cloth diapers with either plastic pants, PUL pants or nylon pants. The latter two are better during the summer. It takes some time to find the right kind of overpant.

Quote Originally Posted by TeddyBearGirl View Post
    I've always had a HUGE distaste for plastic pants. I dont wear them over my diapers and I never will despite the fact that it protects you from leaks and such. I never understood why I hated them so much; I know a lot of users love them because they wore cloth diapers and wore plastic pants with them. Since I wore disposables I couldn't figure out why I hated them so. I finally figured it out after looking through some old photos. I had to wear plastic pants over my my training pants when I was potty training. I can only assume I hate them so much because they are associated with potty training which was not pleasant. Can anyone else relate to this? Did potty training make you hate plastic pants?
    I CAN relate... I dislike Plastic pants...

Occasionally as I'm IC - and have not much of a choice I DO wear - BUT, when I do, It's only a PUL (poly urethane) pants - that is much nicer than those horrible PVC pants.
    I still dislike even the PUL Pants, but hands down twenty times less than those PVC things.

The only times I wear is when I'm travelling outside of western europe/US and go with a limited pack (backpacking).... for this I have conceived my own washable system:
    I have microfiber trekking towels of various size - some I can fold up "PAD Style" for daytime use and some I tripple up for night time use.
    I fix them (night time) with a self made contraption not unlike the "snappi" ... but more adjustable and adult sized.
    the daytime I have a stretchy velcro-ed waist strap and I wear the Suprima Bodyguard Ultimate pants over them (those are actually the best PUL-PlasticPants I have ever owned.)
    In the bag it looks never like a diaper (border searches) ... drying and washing is quick and easy... and no one will know it's diapers.
    Absorption is OK ... not as good as a disposable but I can make it work. and comfort is quite good. it's also very discrete ( daytime).
    IT's not something I LOVE doing... I much prefer my disposable IC Pads for daytime and my diapers for night-time use... but it works well enough to enable me to travel light weight and yet have my needed protection.
    And thus it comes down to wearing "plastic" pants (PUL).

During my childhood when I was growing out of baby diapers and teen-sized products were scarce and often of a low enough quality, I basically had to wear plastic (PVC) pants over them.
    ten times more sweaty, chafes a lot, leaves marks on the skin, easy to develop rashes... and it's just more awkward.

For the pete's sake I can NOT UNDERSTAND how anyone would really want to wear proper plastic pants like all the time.

I generally find them uncomfortable, particularly around the legs, so prefer not to wear them with disposables. I do like plastic-backed disposables though as they're generally soft, smooth plastic.

I love plastic pants, so much that I usually wear just the plastic pants. I have three kinds, one being a PUL, which is better in this heat.
    The other two are regular vinyl, one is thinner the other thicker. In those ones I sweat in them so I usually only wear them when I am going to take a shower in the morning or something.
    I don't seem to be bothered by the heat or sweat too much, in fact I like the heat, I would wear the vinyl ones more often If I could.
    Other than that I wear them over goodnights for wetness/leaks. The thicker vinyl ones Are the best for keeping water in, in fact I can stand in the shower with them on and a gallon or two can stay in them; I wear them in the shower to clean them after I take them off.
    They aren't overly tight or any thing, and the thinner ones I got because they are more like the gerber plastic pants I wore the same way when I was younger.
    So yea, my parents put me in just plastic pants when I was 4/5. Since then I always had a need to find/wear plastic pants, I Just Love them. Hard to imagine not