Thread: Glue that does not irritate skin

Default Glue that does not irritate skin

I have come up with a way to make leak proof diapers that are reusable but I need to figure out what kind of glue would bond plastic to plastic for the final protective layer.

I have been really working hard on it and so far it is a great pattern. The point of the glue is to make it leak proof. My idea involvs just the plastic making a seal with your skin. No glue will be needed and no tape arther except for the process of finishing the diaper.

I will be open to making a thread on how to make your own if you guys don't mind. I just don't want to repeat what someone else did already.

Most home improvement stores would have he kind of glue you are looking for. Another way of bonding is heat.

It's hard to answer the question without knowing more. There are a lot of glues out there that are non-irritating to skin (once dried). Superglue is a good example. It (more accurately, cyanoacrylate) is even used as a medical adhesive (e.g., where stitches might otherwise be required). However, Superglue gets very hard and crispy when dried, as do many other glues. If you are intending to glue a seam that will be flexing, then something like Superglue would be a poor choice. You might be better off looking for some kind of rubber or plastic "welder" (solvent). That is, a substance that partially dissolves what you apply it to, causing the two surfaces to melt together. Hobby shops have loads of this kind of stuff.

One thing to consider, however, is this: If you're aiming to provide a recipe for others to follow, the chances of them following it and achieving a successful outcome take a nose-dive as soon as you begin invoking non-household chemicals, potentially messy processes, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MLPPebble View Post
    I have come up with a way to make leak proof diapers that are reusable but I need to figure out what kind of glue would bond plastic to plastic for the final protective layer.

I have been really working hard on it and so far it is a great pattern. The point of the glue is to make it leak proof. My idea involvs just the plastic making a seal with your skin. No glue will be needed and no tape arther except for the process of finishing the diaper.

I will be open to making a thread on how to make your own if you guys don't mind. I just don't want to repeat what someone else did already.
    Curious question, how can it be leak proof when a person can come in many shapes and sizes and move every which way? I am leak proof from the legs (so it only goes out one way) when I lay down, but if I spread my legs i'll probably leak extremely fast from the legs.

Thats a good point krone6. That is something to take into consideration.

A picture is worth a thousand words is it not? the outer material is denim which is at times hard to work with but good for blending in. The plastic for the first layer is stiched on with a running stich that quilters use. the seconed layer of plastic is more the leak proofing layer it wont be penetrated by a needle. The third layer will have the soaker pad stitched to it agian with a running stich. Having three layers will make it more durable.

Cottentail this is where your point would make since. It has to be a rubber or plastic "welder" (solvent) would come into play to keep it flexable. I am still playing with ideas on how to fasten it on. Krone6 the way it fastens on is how I will achieve near leak proof. I will post pictures once I get it done.