Thread: Why put a color on your personality?

Default Why put a color on your personality?

Black people are supposed to be gangsters and listen to their hippity hoppity music robbing the working people of their hard earned cash right? Their not supposed to be intelligent knowledge seeking people who listen to a variety of music.. NO! That's impossible!

^That is what it sounds like when people say that i am not black. Its annoying really.

To the point. I want to get your thoughts on the subject of assigning a color to a personality.I want to know the reason behind this. Does it come from ignorance or straight up stupidity?

I get agitated when I am told that I am not black or that I'm a white guy in a black guys body. Simply because I don't always do stereotypical "black people" things. Seriously, wazzup wit dat?

Quote Originally Posted by AstroDL View Post
    I get agitated when I am told that I am not black or that I'm a white guy in a black guys body. Simply because I don't always do stereotypical "black people" things. Seriously, wazzup wit dat?
    I think it's probably different motivations from different people, does it happen to you more from white people or other black people? Or is it about the same from both of them?

It's very common to see people stereotype groups they aren't part of, especially if they aren't exposed to a reasonable number of different individual members of that group on a regular basis. At the same time, people also expect other members of their own group to agree with them and act as they do to a certain extent - and especially not to engage or support anything that they say as foreign or threatening to that group.

You'll see both these things happen with every kind of social group: sex, gender, sexuality, race/ethnicity, class, political groups, professions ect... This kind of behaviour is called 'Identity Policing'

It's partly out of ignorance, and meeting new people can make people more open minded. You'll often see it amongst young people who are working harder to define themselves, both who they are and who they are not; but old people obviously can be "set in their ways" if their prejudices don't ever get broken down. Anyone who feels their identity is under threat is going to be especially harsh in judgements like these. In the end though I think it's probably just part of the way were made as social animals that we tend towards this kind of behaviour. It doesn't mean it's right or acceptable, just that it will tend to pop up again and again if people don't watch themselves for it.

Quote Originally Posted by MsClaraRiddle View Post
    I think it's probably different motivations from different people, does it happen to you more from white people or other black people? Or is it about the same from both of them?

I mostly ( as in 90%) get this from white people.

I mostly ( as in 90%) get this from white people.
    Do you think they're trying to be complimentary by saying it? People with negative stereotypes of other types of people will often meet someone from that group and go "Oh, you're not like THEM, you're like one of US" - it's really ridiculous and offensive, but people still do it.

Quote Originally Posted by MsClaraRiddle View Post
    Do you think they're trying to be complimentary by saying it? People with negative stereotypes of other types of people will often meet someone from that group and go "Oh, you're not like THEM, you're like one of US" - it's really ridiculous and offensive, but people still do it.
    When it is said in a way that sounds like a compliment, as in " you aren't like the typical black guys I see on the streets or on TV", then i understand. But when its said with intent to insult like " You're not black because you listen to that music" or "You're white stop claiming the black race". Things like that are insults.

It is stereotyping, Bigotry. Ignorance stupidity. Color Blindness. Pigheaded. These are only the nice words that I use to describe the people you are talking about. I grew up during the 60's and have a chance to meet many some the marchers. In this day and age the should not be any color bigotry, but sadly there still is. You can that to the bank from an old white.

Don';t let others dictate your life. Stupidity can not be cured.

I'm a gay man and understand bigotry only to well.

When it is said in a way that sounds like a compliment, as in " you aren't like the typical black guys I see on the streets or on TV", then i understand. But when its said with intent to insult like " You're not black because you listen to that music" or "You're white stop claiming the black race". Things like that are insults.
    Either way is insulting I think - it's amazing people seriously think that way.

Quote Originally Posted by kennyrallen View Post
    It is stereotyping, Bigotry. Ignorance stupidity. Color Blindness. Pigheaded. These are only the nice words that I use to describe the people you are talking about. I grew up during the 60's and have a chance to meet many some the marchers. In this day and age the should not be any color bigotry, but sadly there still is. You can that to the bank from an old white.

Don';t let others dictate your life. Stupidity can not be cured.

I'm a gay man and understand bigotry only to well.
    Oh I wont let others dictate my life. I love being open to new things and meeting new/different people.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kennyrallen View Post
    ... In this day and age the should not be any color bigotry, but sadly there still is. You can that to the bank from an old white...
    Did you witness any origin to this kind of thinking when you were growing up? Like parents grooming their kids to be "stereotypical" blacks.. or any color?

Oh I wont let others dictate my life. I love being open to new things and meeting new/different people.
    An open mind is a beautiful thing, it is when one shuts their minds to knowledge that it becomes dangerous