Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Diaper lover? Good word choice?

Gamingpanda

Default Diaper lover? Good word choice?

Yes we do love diapers! But I think the word is unprofessional and kinda funny. I mean it cant be infantilism if you only like diapers not "infant" items. So is this a proper name because if i wanna explain it to someone I hate saying I'm a diaper lover. Preferably some thing like diaperilism or something I don't know! What do you think?

Just say you're interested in diapers; specifically the wearing of it. If you want, tell him or her people tend to call that diaper lover but I didn't like the name much. You don't have to use diaper lover or any specific word if you don't want.

Gamingpanda

Quote Originally Posted by krone6 View Post
    Just say you're interested in diapers; specifically the wearing of it. If you want, tell him or her people tend to call that diaper lover but I didn't like the name much. You don't have to use diaper lover or any specific word if you don't want.
    I understand that but i think that there should be a better term for it not so blan and to the point!

Adult Briefs Coveter
    Happy Pants User
    Infintilistic Item Utilizer
    Padded Freak
    Diaper Seeker
    Nappy-holic
    Onset adult diaperism
    Pee-pee poo-poo'er
    Brief-o-maniac

Uhhhh... not sure that any new name would sum it up so eloquently and directly.

I think the term is fine the way it is. There is no word that could describe what we do to make it seem normal to other people.

I've never liked the phrase 'diaper lover', but it seems to be firmly embedded into the internet now. I'd have thought something like 'diaper wearer' would have worked better, as it seems to cover all the bases without the connotations that 'lover' can sometimes have.

I really don't see anything wrong with it. And I cannot understand why we should try to disguise what we do and why we do it.

As far as explaining it to someone who doesn't share the affinity we have for being diapered, I seriously doubt that disguising the name of DL will have any effect on their reaction or them forming some type of extremely negative opinion of what we do, as well as them possibly thinking (without understnading or wanting to understand our reasons, feelings and so on) and wrongly mentally labeling us as some type of sick-o.

Personally, I wouldn't divulge being a DL to anyone I wasn't 100% sure was open minded enough to accept that it is part of my life and would accept this part of me without being judgemental to the even tiniest degree.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathcoreFTW View Post
    I think the term is fine the way it is. There is no word that could describe what we do to make it seem normal to other people.
    Well... yeah. I pretty much agree with that. I've never really looked at these terms as more than a way to roughly explain one's practices to others in the AB/DL community. From that perspective, given that "diaper lover" is a well-established term, I see no reason to change it.

That said, there are some major differences in practice among those labeling themselves DLs, and that's the biggest beef I have with the term. Chief among those differences is probably the sexual/non-sexual dimension. At the time I joined ADISC, I took for granted that a DL was somebody who derived sexual pleasure from diapers, as this seems to be the prevailing definition elsewhere (e.g., on understanding.infantilism.org, Wikipedia, and some other AB/DL boards). Since then, however, it's become apparent that many people adopt this label to describe other diaper-only twists on AB/DL that involve no (or limited) sexual pleasure from diapers.

Is the AB/DL "triangle" really a square -- two "DL" vertices instead of one? Or are the non-sexual DLs really better described as ABs whose particular mode of regression involves only the emotional comfort of a diaper? Maybe. But in that case, because my own diaper-wearing involves an "inner toddler" of sorts (simple mental imagery of myself as a toddler in a diaper), some would probably call me AB/DL because my sexual attraction to diapers is not directed precisely at diapers, but rather at a diaper-based and baby-based self-image.

I guess it boils down to this: We can get as complicated with this stuff as we want to, but after a certain (relatively early) point, it gets too complicated for most people and they'll opt for something simple, even if it's not particularly accurate. I think that's basically where we are with the current labels.

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    I've never liked the phrase 'diaper lover', but it seems to be firmly embedded into the internet now. I'd have thought something like 'diaper wearer' would have worked better, as it seems to cover all the bases without the connotations that 'lover' can sometimes have.
    I was thinking the exact same when I read the OP. I don't particularly care for the DL moniker. It's just a little too kinky for my tastes, and I always feel a little "dirty" every time I identify as one. Also, there are folks who don't necessarily derive any sexual satisfaction from wearing, so labeling everyone as a DL is in many cases a misnomer.

Another problem is that outsiders commonly assume that DL connotes a perverted interest in ALL diapers - including those worn by children. And - logical fallacy or not - it's THAT connection that brings our community more grief than anything.

I choose/need to wear diapers. Ergo, I am a Diaper Wearer. Simple, honest, and completely unambiguous. My rationale for wearing is moot.

Twitter campaign for a name change? Who's with me?

#DWisthenewDL
    Last edited by PaddedPat; 05-Aug-2013 at 11:08.

I'm okay with the 'DL' label myself. From this discussion alone, there doesn't appear to be a single term that has been identified to replace it. Damn the outsiders anyway, I would never open up to someone by describing myself as DL (and IC) and expect them to understand based on a simple label. The discussion would be a lot more convoluted and intimate than that and it would involve issues around my past. What does bother me is that the general population tends to describe us all as ABDL without any identification of the differences between the two. It implies that if you're DL then you must automatically be AB, which we all know is not necessarily the case. I don't think changing the name or label will change the misinformation or stereotypes out there.

Having said they, I loved the suggestions put forward by ilostthesheriff.