Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are we accidentally warping our perception of normal?

Default Are we accidentally warping our perception of normal?

I have been lurking on and off for awhile now and this website was one of the first that made me realise there are others with interests in diapers. My initial disgust of liking diapers has given way to a feeling partial acceptance that it is ok provided I can function in the outside world and that its not hurting anyone. Am I becoming less ignorant or am I convincing myself that its ok by surrounding myself with others that have the same interest?

Its just Ive looked at other forums where groups of people are trying to justify the most ridiculous things that I, as an outsider see as strange or abnormal. That leads me to wonder if Im doing the same with being a DL. I realise that Normality is arbitrary in that one person perception of normal can vary from one culture to another and therefore what you define as normal is not fundamentally right or wrong.
    If you build circle of friends and contacts that enjoy and accept AB/DL or any other taboo or abnormal practice (to the general and potentially ignorant public) are you more likely to change what you think is an acceptable way to behave.

Not trying to make a discussion of normality itself, but are we (the users of this forum, or any other user of a special interest forum) changing our own perception of normal for the better or worse?

Maybe Im over thinking it

Question is Just what is normal? It is not normal for a 30 something man to be wearing a diaper. It is normal for some who is IC to wear a diaper even if that person is 30 something. Most likely what you are trying to find out is why do we still a huge amount of people who still adhere to the old diaper stigma. IC people run into the same things as those who are AB,DL. It all centers around diapers. Oh that child is to old to be in diapers. A person of your age should not need diapers yet. Why do you want to be put back in diapers. Now why would you want to wear a diaper. To me these Questions show a big lack of understanding. Education is what is needed, I may not see the good work that will get done but things will change. Diaper wearing for any reason is not wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by InTheBackground View Post
    Maybe I’m over thinking it…
    i doubt it.
    the same thing is happening throughout society and has done for all time; which why things tend to spiral out of control. as such, our particular vein of madness is a mere off-shoot within a larger body of general insanity.

personal-perceptionwise, it's never good to against the 'norm'. this is why i'm not an advocate of this 'thing' [that we have] to young people. i often look at us, and myself, and see the same spiralling madness as has beset many an isolated, paranoid and obsessive group, and the outcomes are never good.

What you suggest is that a passing fancy or quirky interest in something may in the right environment become percieved as normal. While this maybe true for some who'd use that environment to justify an interest, for those like myself, it didn't take others to alter my perception, as that perception was already well ingrained before even being aware that there were others who were like me.

If I'd never discovered the Internet or any other form of informative media that carried this subject, I'd still be inclined toward regression.

Why??? Who the hell knows.

Being in the company of others who also ask WTF? About this sure helps. Learning to love this deep emotional part of ourselves is so crucial to happiness.

Unfortunately, this is bundled in with some pretty strange practices (not necessarily ABDL related) and while psychologically there may be some connection, I really believe this is quite unique.

Some of that other stuff you refer to is so not what my personal experience is about.

There is weird and there is plain F'ing messed up. What I experience is pure (granted, strange and unusual, but pure)

Quote Originally Posted by kennyrallen View Post
    Question is Just what is normal? It is not normal for a 30 something man to be wearing a diaper. It is normal for some who is IC to wear a diaper even if that person is 30 something. Most likely what you are trying to find out is why do we still a huge amount of people who still adhere to the old diaper stigma. IC people run into the same things as those who are AB,DL. It all centers around diapers. Oh that child is to old to be in diapers. A person of your age should not need diapers yet. Why do you want to be put back in diapers. Now why would you want to wear a diaper. To me these Questions show a big lack of understanding. Education is what is needed, I may not see the good work that will get done but things will change. Diaper wearing for any reason is not wrong.
    Maybe there are two different types of normal here.

1. The Solid quantifiable normal derived from average behaviour of the entire population, in that most 30 year old don't wear diapers

2. The perception of what is normal and therefore OK within a group of people (what I was getting at in the post) I.E. it is normal for an IC person to wear diapers even when the general population may not think so, creating a stigma.

What I was getting at is do we think some elements of AB/DL "normal" even when the general population thinks it's not?
    Last edited by InTheBackground; 04-Aug-2013 at 02:17. Reason: fixing statement

What I was getting at is do we think some elements of AB/DL "normal" even when the general population thinks it's not?
    I don't think so, after all if we thought it was normal why would every other thread be "I got caught" or "how to hide X" or "I have to come out to X any tips?" Most think this should be more acceptable as it isn't hurting anyone, but I don't think many are deluding themselves about how it is perceived by society.

I'm pretty sure that any of us in our right mind knows that our behaviours are not normal as such. But related to our emotional needs (IC excepted) theyre normal in that sense, but otherwise not so... Exactly why we keep this behaviour guarded.

All that said, behaving like an infant while in a regressed state... Feels vey normal to me.
    Last edited by ozbub; 04-Aug-2013 at 05:32.

Maybe there are two different types of normal here.

1. The Solid quantifiable normal derived from average behaviour of the entire population, in that most 30 year old don't wear diapers

2. The perception of what is normal and therefore OK within a group of people (what I was getting at in the post) I.E. it is normal for an IC person to wear diapers even when the general population may not think so, creating a stigma.

I was that 30 something person Every thing breaks down into groups no matter what it is. What is normal for one will seem abnormal to another group. Every group whats to promote their way of think as the right way of thinking. We will seek out those who think like us, now that is Normal. Diapers I look at the point of view from the IC side then my AB side. There will always be some group that will not accept diaper wearing for any reason including if some one may be IC.

Quote Originally Posted by Cauthon View Post
    I don't think many are deluding themselves about how it is perceived by society.

Quote Originally Posted by ozbub View Post
    I'm pretty sure that any of us in our right mind knows that our behaviours are not normal as such.
    I suddenly feel much better now, I was trying to justify the act of justifying AB/DL activities. Now realize I don't need to.
    Just going to go with "Im over thinking it".

toujoursbb

My wife always (when I have some thoughts of not-being-normal, kind of) reminds me that for her, I am really more myself and peaceful, or "more normal", as an ABDL.