Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your instrument

Default Your instrument

I play guitar, piano, and cello. I get up at 4:00am to practice.

Does anyone here have an instrument that you like to play?

I play guitar and mandolin. I don't think I play very well, but others seem to think I do OK. mostly I just pick around for my own entertainment. I would love to be able to play the piano properly.

the keytar, the recorder, and the lyre.
    my keytar is a rockband 3 MIDI keyboard connected to a Yamaha TX-81Z synthesizer module.
    the Lyre I handcrafted myself and is a modernized version of the ancient instrument with a guitar bridge, tremolo springs and a whammy bar.

Guitar and Bass, I have some nice equipment but no skills, still I have fun trying!

I play several instruments, but I'm only very good with a few. My absolute favourite to play is the drums, while I think the cello has the best sound (even though I'm terrible with it). Ideally I'd have a double-bass, but those things are so large and expensive, it'd be a bit impractical right now. The sound of them makes my knees weak, though. I'm also somewhat proficient with the bass (guitar to a much lesser extent), and the sitar. There's a bunch of theory I need to learn to play the sitar properly (Indian Classical music is just as complex as Western Classical, in different ways), however I know the notes of one raga - which is basically a scale - so I just mess around with that. It's a beautiful-sounding instrument.

Quote Originally Posted by DeftLeppard View Post
    the keytar, the recorder, and the lyre.
    my keytar is a rockband 3 MIDI keyboard connected to a Yamaha TX-81Z synthesizer module.
    the Lyre I handcrafted myself and is a modernized version of the ancient instrument with a guitar bridge, tremolo springs and a whammy bar.
    Do you have any pictures of the lyre? That sounds awesome that you made it yourself! If I had all the right equipment and enough time to learn woodworking, it'd be amazing to craft an instrument. You should be really proud of that!

I am. This is actually the 4th one I've made, and it is by far my best one. my first one was for a Technology and humanity class in college, and I ended up selling it to my professor (who was also the Greek mythology teacher). It also made the college newspaper! GRCC Student Crafts Ancient Instrument for Technology and Humanity Course | GRCC Today
    here is my current model!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fossegrimen Spellcaster.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	17908

My degree is in organ performance and I've been played on public radio, WVTF. I now play more on keyboard/piano than organ. At one time, I was the assistant accompanist to Cleveland Orchestra Chorus.

I tortured a trumpet and Sousaphone in 5th grade.

However I did learn to play the Native American Love flute. I know a few native songs, but most time I play what I feel or natures music sheet and use the horizon as my musical score. I am currently attempting to learn the classical scale but the hard part is learning to move the third finger which is never moved in the petal note scale.

I am also helping my kids learn the recorder. I am looking forward to the day the three of us can play Baroque music together.

I own an electric guitar. I used to take lessons years ago and I was kinda good. But then after a while I stopped. Hopefully I get back to learning how to play it. I also own a digital keyboard.