Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Autism Threads

Default Autism Threads

I don't want to come off as someone who's attacking others, or someone who's trying to discriminate against a specific group. My ex was high-functioning autistic. But I feel the need to say this.

Guys. We don't need 30 threads on autism, and it doesn't need to be brought up in almost every post that those members who're autistic write. I'm being VERY serious about this. Look; everyone is brought together by common interests or common traits and characteristics. Writers tend to favor writers, younger people favor younger people, gamers enjoy the company of other gamers, Italians hang out with Italians and Jews form Jewish communities; it makes a lot of sense. But, I keep seeing autism used as an excuse for actions and mistakes. "Please excuse X Y & Z in my post, I have autism."

So, I wanna just ask; what's with all these threads? And do you guys think it's really okay to use autism as an excuse for things on here?

~117

I don't see anyone using autism as an excuse or bringing their up often. I certainly don't. But I have seen lot of autism threads lately. Autism is the trend these days. Back in the 1990's, it was AD/HD.

Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    I don't see anyone using autism as an excuse or bringing their up often. I certainly don't. But I have seen lot of autism threads lately. Autism is the trend these days. Back in the 1990's, it was AD/HD.
    This is true.

I believe people are genuinly interested in autism. I believe that the spectrum of autism causes many to ask themselves if they have any autistic traits. I believe that many want to better understand autism and it's many complexities.

I personally have benefitted from the wide range of issues and personalities here on ADISC in the way that it has exposed me to a wider array of people than I could ever have hoped to meet in my personal on-goings.

That's more true than not, sadly. If there's something wrong with your kid, it's autism! Before then, it was ADHD! It's just the newest thing.

Unfortunately, like it or not I can see these activities (regression/dl/*fur) being a way for those on the spectrum to de-stress/compensate from having to deal with rl issues. So by that fact alone you _are_ going to get a skewed proportion of Aspies/ASD members participating and therefore more thread about the issue. As Calico said, I haven't found excuses to be any worse off, so maybe the OP is referring to historical, in which I'm not qualified to give an opinion based on how long I've been here.

There are a lot of over-diagnosis of AS because it's the "now" diagnosis, and at the same time there are un-/under-diagnosis for older members who hadn't had the benefits of the current understanding of ASD. So if the OP feels that there are too many autism threads, may I suggest what I do for threads for which I have no interest in: ignore it. And if someone _is_ blatantly using their diagnosis as an excuse, then send them a friendly PM explaining how you feel.

--sf

Quote Originally Posted by LeonSoryu117 View Post
    But, I keep seeing autism used as an excuse for actions and mistakes. "Please excuse X Y & Z in my post, I have autism."

So, I wanna just ask; what's with all these threads? And do you guys think it's really okay to use autism as an excuse for things on here?
    Citations please? I think you believe that these threads are a lot more common than they actually are. It's probably selection bias, as these threads obviously irritate you you notice every single one that appears in your unread posts or elsewhere, the effect is to artificially increase their prevalence in your mind.

What's with them? Probably that it's an interesting topic to some members. We certainly do have a lot of members on the autistic spectrum, particularly AS as that is usually higher functioning. There is perhaps some interesting discussion to be had on if there's a greater prevalence amongst ABDLs compared to the general population and we've had some past threads looking at those sort of things. Secondly it sometimes gets mentioned because it's relevant. People with autism's brains function differently, they perceive some things differently to neuro-typical people. Sometimes we might have a thread where that means a person being autistic is relevant to their view in a discussion. Not because it affects its validity but that it provides additional context to the discussion.

I personally don't see large numbers of people using autism to try and justify everything they do or say. There are a small number who do but they are the minority and I think generally ignored anyway. It appears sometimes in introductions but that is quite understandable, we have people telling us they have other medical conditions, why is it any different.

Lastly, all these things are usually with new members. As one of the key parts of autism is usually difficulty with social interactions it makes sense they might take a while longer than other users to settle in and find what's appropriate. I've seen a few members use "I have autism" in response when they have started a thread that perhaps isn't so appropriate and it's been pointed out to them. Rather than being an excuse, I think this is often an attempt at an explanation and usually they learn from it and in time slot it. While nobody likes to see conditions held up as excuses where it's not relevant, we should remember especially with new members that autism is likely to have some effect on their interactions here. Giving them gentle pointers and trying to help is going to be more useful than complaining, which might give them the false impression they are unwelcome here.

I have seen lot of autism threads lately. Autism is the trend these days. Back in the 1990's, it was AD/HD.
    I suppose you're right to an extent; I have heard a lot about that. However, this is an 18+ site. If it weren't, I'd be agreeing with you; however, I really don't think that all of these members are being diagnosed so late enough in life with autism, and even if that were the case, it still wouldn't explain the recent surge in threads.

Quote Originally Posted by ilostthesheriff View Post
    I believe that many want to better understand autism and it's many complexities.
    I'm gonna be really honest here, I think you're giving people WAY too much credit there.

Quote Originally Posted by Starfox View Post
    Unfortunately, like it or not I can see these activities (regression/dl/*fur) being a way for those on the spectrum to de-stress/compensate from having to deal with rl issues. So by that fact alone you _are_ going to get a skewed proportion of Aspies/ASD members participating and therefore more thread about the issue.
    I'd like to point out that you could say that about any group of people, being autistic doesn't make you more prone to being a *B/DL, nor has there ever been such a massive influx, or perhaps discussion on and use of autism as an excuse. I can't EVER remember when there's been another point in the time I've been in the *B/DL community in which autistic persons were a major force.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodlandWanderer View Post
    Citations please? I think you believe that these threads are a lot more common than they actually are. It's probably selection bias, as these threads obviously irritate you you notice every single one that appears in your unread posts or elsewhere, the effect is to artificially increase their prevalence in your mind.
    Yes, you'd have me cite specific members' posts, thinking that if I did so absolutely nothing would go wrong. I've been there and done that with previous threads I've made; sorry, no dice.

Next; nice shrinking, but I've found a lot of this stuff in random threads I was browsing, where I try to actually read everyone's posts.

its a resone ONLY on human reacsion field, not on tantroms, mis spelling or anything else, ONLY on this like sarcazem, and ONLY for low funcsing otistes, btw, im a high funcsion ocd\asperger, and you will never know it unless you met me

We see a lot of post on it because of the different age groups. Long before it was called Autism is was called Retardation. That is not a label some of us older ones ever liked. I was diagnosed as being mildly retarded as a kid. The stigma that with with that really stunk. " Look at the Retard " some would say, not even knowing that I really was.
    \
    I have seen some post that may have seemed that some one might be using it as an excuse but I think it is more likely that they were looking for answers .