Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: iOS 7 love it or hate it

  1. #1

    Red face iOS 7 love it or hate it

    So I have iOS 7 on my iPhone 4 and I am in love. Wondering if any if you guys have tried it or seen it or used it? And yr thoughts on the new design.

  2. #2

    Default

    How did you get that? It's not out till the fall no?

  3. #3

    Default

    There are ways to get the betas running on your phone even if you're not a registered developer, but I wouldn't do it. Heck I wouldn't run the betas when I had access to a dev account.

  4. #4
    PaddedPuppy

    Default

    iOS 7 isn't really going to change anything. In my opinion Apple has fallen behind with the mobile OS, if you were to compare it to Android which has evolved a lot since the beginning.

    iOS was great. It simplified the smartphone years back when everyone was getting used to it, and for its age was still technically advanced enough to satisfy people who already knew what they were doing. All they done since then is add a couple of things here and there. And now with iOS 7 they basically refurbished it. A slightly different look and a little bit of common sense injected into it somewhere along the line. Its now outdated, and boring. We need something totally new, or at least the ability to further customize it all so we can be the judge of how it should look, not Apple.

    I wouldn't say I love OR hate it. What I would say is that I generally dislike iOS due the reasons above, and most of the other common arguments against it too.

    But I am definitely an Android person, sooo...

  5. #5

    Default

    Whilst I am looking forward to iOS 7 - especially (if not only) for the quick access to some settings (wiFi, etc.)... I would NEVER run BETA software on my main phone.

    And about loving/hating iOS and how far it is lacking behind?
    Well it's a STABLE operating system which has surprisingly few glitches and problems. Operation/UI is fluent, thought out well and easy to handle.
    and it does all I need it to do.

    Had android phones in the past, but came back to the iPhone with the 5.... never looked back.

  6. #6
    PaddedPuppy

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by EPO1 View Post
    Whilst I am looking forward to iOS 7 - especially (if not only) for the quick access to some settings (wiFi, etc.)... I would NEVER run BETA software on my main phone.

    And about loving/hating iOS and how far it is lacking behind?
    Well it's a STABLE operating system which has surprisingly few glitches and problems. Operation/UI is fluent, thought out well and easy to handle.
    and it does all I need it to do.

    Had android phones in the past, but came back to the iPhone with the 5.... never looked back.
    I have to agree iOS is pretty much clear of bugs yes. But it works so well because its designed specifically to run on a very limited number of devices. Android isn't one size fits all like that is.

    Android on many handsets is a generally stable experience. For someone like me that enjoys messing around I am used to having development builds, betas and custom ROMs on my phone, so instability is something I am used to at times.

    Without turning it into an Android/iOS argument, what didn't you like about the Android experience?

  7. #7

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by PaddedPuppy View Post
    I have to agree iOS is pretty much clear of bugs yes. But it works so well because its designed specifically to run on a very limited number of devices. Android isn't one size fits all like that is.

    Android on many handsets is a generally stable experience. For someone like me that enjoys messing around I am used to having development builds, betas and custom ROMs on my phone, so instability is something I am used to at times.

    Without turning it into an Android/iOS argument, what didn't you like about the Android experience?
    PaddedPuppy:
    Well I had a Sony Xperia thing that at first had android 2.3.? on it and it was okish-...
    couple of weird hang ups... sometimes inabilities to pick up an incoming phonecall..
    then sony unleased an update to Android 4 and the device was bricked.
    It took like 30 seconds to take a photo, picking up calls was nightmare-like.
    Sony wouldn't "repair" (restore to older firmware) under warranty, and I didn't feel like browsing the web to find a matching firmware, root the thing etc...
    it's my phone - not my play-around toy... I needed it to work and wasn't keen on spending several hours on my time to get it working.
    Then there were a few sync issues between the mail server (non Google, Exchange)... etc.
    A lot of the apps were crappy / crashed...

    On the iPhone - I know it's a bit "limited" (I still can't understand why Apple for example doesn't allow apps to access phone-functionality.. for example a "Call Blocker"... would be awesome). But overall, I preferred the smoothness of the User Experience... no crashes, no slow downs, no sync issues.
    Apps can be crappy, but at least they RARELY crash.
    And thus for me it does what it should: work as a phone, email, whatsapp, etc. client... use some of my business tools (ebanking, filemaker DB access, web based CRM) and this it does well.

    Last but not least: accessories... for example: my car's stereo comes equipped with an iPhone adapter... Thus the steering wheel remote works together with the iPhone.
    Spotify streams flawlessly on the road.

    Cases... I was able to get a dust-resistant case for the iPhone (when I'm at the machine shop)... whereas it was something simply not available for the sony.
    In this regard, only the Samasung Glaxy phone come even close in the broad offering of accessories and connectivity compared to the iPhone.

    Also At home... AirPlay: I can easily stream audio / video to my stereo system... without any other hardware.

    sure there are more advanced devices, I'd say even better priced devices out there. but for me the iPhone works really well.

  8. #8
    PaddedPuppy

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by EPO1 View Post
    PaddedPuppy:
    Well I had a Sony Xperia thing that at first had android 2.3.? on it and it was okish-...
    couple of weird hang ups... sometimes inabilities to pick up an incoming phonecall..
    then sony unleased an update to Android 4 and the device was bricked.
    It took like 30 seconds to take a photo, picking up calls was nightmare-like.
    Sony wouldn't "repair" (restore to older firmware) under warranty, and I didn't feel like browsing the web to find a matching firmware, root the thing etc...
    it's my phone - not my play-around toy... I needed it to work and wasn't keen on spending several hours on my time to get it working.
    Then there were a few sync issues between the mail server (non Google, Exchange)... etc.
    A lot of the apps were crappy / crashed...

    On the iPhone - I know it's a bit "limited" (I still can't understand why Apple for example doesn't allow apps to access phone-functionality.. for example a "Call Blocker"... would be awesome). But overall, I preferred the smoothness of the User Experience... no crashes, no slow downs, no sync issues.
    Apps can be crappy, but at least they RARELY crash.
    And thus for me it does what it should: work as a phone, email, whatsapp, etc. client... use some of my business tools (ebanking, filemaker DB access, web based CRM) and this it does well.

    Last but not least: accessories... for example: my car's stereo comes equipped with an iPhone adapter... Thus the steering wheel remote works together with the iPhone.
    Spotify streams flawlessly on the road.

    Cases... I was able to get a dust-resistant case for the iPhone (when I'm at the machine shop)... whereas it was something simply not available for the sony.
    In this regard, only the Samasung Glaxy phone come even close in the broad offering of accessories and connectivity compared to the iPhone.

    Also At home... AirPlay: I can easily stream audio / video to my stereo system... without any other hardware.

    sure there are more advanced devices, I'd say even better priced devices out there. but for me the iPhone works really well.
    Thats fair I guess.
    Also to answer your question about why you can't have access to certain functions through an app is security. Apple try very hard to lock down their devices so its almost impossible for a virus to get in and do damage. All of the stuff on the iTunes app store has to meet strict requirements and be tested by Apple themselves before it can be listed on there too.

    I guess I should list a few of my reasons why I am not too keen on i devices now:
    -Apple deciding how you should use your equipment with limited ability to customize
    -Expensive for what it is
    -The screens are very delicate, and a drop that other devices would likely survive easily kill Apple products
    -Non standard charging/sync ports like all others with MicroUSB
    -No Adobe Flash support
    -Short battery life with limited options when it comes to replacement
    -Unable to add more storage space or easily move things around with memory cards
    -Unable to use custom keyboard of choice like you can with Android
    -Use much more random background data than other smartphones which is bad for battery life, and bad if you don't have unlimited data.

  9. #9

  10. #10

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by PaddedPuppy View Post
    Thats fair I guess.
    I guess I should list a few of my reasons why I am not too keen on i devices now:
    -Apple deciding how you should use your equipment with limited ability to customize
    -Expensive for what it is
    -The screens are very delicate, and a drop that other devices would likely survive easily kill Apple products
    -Non standard charging/sync ports like all others with MicroUSB
    -No Adobe Flash support
    -Short battery life with limited options when it comes to replacement
    -Unable to add more storage space or easily move things around with memory cards
    -Unable to use custom keyboard of choice like you can with Android
    -Use much more random background data than other smartphones which is bad for battery life, and bad if you don't have unlimited data.
    I can see where you are coming with with some of these but you are generalising android devices far too much with these. The first 5 i do agree have some truth to it however, there are many android devices that are coming out now that are fully enclosed with no SD card to increase storage capacity. HTC has been doing this for a while now. Also, there is reason why battery life on the apple is less then others (or appear to be). Mostly its due to the way it handles cellular signals. In the iphone 5, the 4G signal chews through the battery. And my experience with other android devices that are 4G capable is much the same. So its not really the phone but more the way people use it. As a side note, my iphone 5 gets about a day and a half of battery life which is on par with most other android devices.

    I do agree with you on the cant use custom keyboards but that isnt really an issue for me. I didnt by my phone because i wanted to connect a keyboard to it. I would much rather use my laptop for typing things.

    And the background cellular data. Most phones have this issue. It is not limited to an iphone issue. The problem is that most people install a lot of junk on their phone which uses background data. Apple also have plenty of options to prevent your cellular data from being used up by background apps and still be able to use the internet. On the other hand i have found that you cant really isolate things on the android. It is either turn mobile data off completely (so you cant use the internet in a web browser) or have it on and hope you dont install apps that will use background data.

    Personally, i prefer apple devices because they do what i want them to do. So saying that android can do all these other side things isnt a selling point for me. The fact is that i dont want to go into all the coding of the phone and screw around with it. People make out that you should be able to customise whatever you get and i think this is wrong. That has been apple's philosophy since the company has first started ... "that the consumers dont know what they want". And i think that is pretty fair to have that ideal. This is because if apple has designed something then it will be designed and coded that way for a reason. I dont think that i could improve what 100's of professional coders have already created, tested and released. So why would i want to change what has been done? People dont buy brand new ferrari or BMWs or Audis and start stuffing around with what the engineers have created. The reason people dont stuff around is because the car is built the way it is for a reason and by playing around with it you can potentially make things a lot worse.

    Now that being said, there has only been one android device that i would have considered trading my iphone in for. And that is the HTC One. But the problem is that whilst that phone on its own is pretty good, the issues is that the connectivity between my other devices isnt that good. Even the HTC sync manager (and the equivalent for other manafacturers) tend not to work as they make out and often, you have to fight around with the software and install 50 other apps (Which take up computer space or space on your phone) just to make it work properly. This is why i feel apple is better then android. I want the connectivity to work seamlessly without having to fiddle around with it all. I have no problems doing that if need be but at the end of the day, if there is a product that works out of the box and connects to my laptop and tv being able to share data between them as well all without having to install a million apps and so that these settings are already integrated then that is what i would prefer. Apple has this ... Samsung, HTC, etc. has a while to go to catch up with this.

Similar Threads

  1. The waddle - love it or hate it?
    By MOPaddED in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 23-Jun-2013, 00:02
  2. Diaper Changes- The Love/Hate Relationship.
    By Chiharu in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-Dec-2010, 01:20
  3. Piercings: Love 'em, hate 'em, have 'em?
    By LittleMonster in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 13-Sep-2010, 16:26
  4. Replies: 37
    Last Post: 04-Sep-2009, 16:48
  5. Replies: 121
    Last Post: 04-Sep-2009, 10:16

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.