Thread: Are Huggies rare (and valuable) in the UK

Default Are Huggies rare (and valuable) in the UK

As many of you have heard, Huggies are no longer sold in the UK. I've seen a couple stores in my area with some old stock and was wondering if it would be worth snapping up a couple bags to resell them (likely as samples) to the AB market. I just have no idea if they're in demand though (baby diapers are not my thing)

no one cares for them I take it?

Of the tiny number of people likely to have read this thread in 4 hours, apparently not. Leave it a few days, more people will see it.

Huggies are no longer sold in the UK? Weird. Wonder why. As far as I knew, they were the largest diaper manufacturer.

Good, that just means Pampers can dominate the UK market!

well store brands are proving populor. That plus increasing use of cloth means someone will be forced out of the market. A pitty because if I woke up a toddler for the day I would use huggies. (I'm a fan of tigger)

- - - Updated - - -

I got a wee (hehe, bad pun) bit worried when it didn't show up in the first 2 pages. I figured it was pushed out before anyone with interest in it saw it. (I'm not normally one to bump my own threads)

- - - Updated - - -

I got a wee (hehe, bad pun) bit worried when it didn't show up in the first 2 pages. I figured it was pushed out before anyone with interest in it saw it. (I'm not normally one to bump my own threads)

Kaiden

They're still going to sell pull-ups and drynites

Heh, strange. Just looked on Asda website and you're right!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiden View Post
    They're still going to sell pull-ups and drynites
    Although this is apparently true

I don't really care much for baby diapers either personally, they're just not absorbent enough compared to adult diapers; probably why I never noticed!

i work in a wholesaler and we are still getting boxes in of them so your local shop will still sell them at the moment..

The decision to stop selling the nappies was made last October after their quarterly sales figures. It's not just the UK, it's the whole of Europe with the exception of Italy.
    BBC News - Huggies nappies abandoned in Europe by Kimberly-Clark
    They have supposedly been unavailable for a while now, Asda said it would stop stocking them from 25th February and I expect the other major supermarkets around a similar time when they stopped being supplied. It's possible as indicated above that a few wholesalers might still have some stocks to be distributed to smaller stores.

The reason was quite obvious, the nappies just weren't making much profit compared to their other products. They are still selling Pull-Ups, Little Swimmers, Drynites and wipes which is what they make most of their profit from, and it's where the market seems to be moving. I heard 40% of the baby sanitary product market is now pull on style products and wipes, in addition to that the number and quality of the store brands has increased for the remaining nappy market and tend to undercut Huggies when it comes to price. The new generation of reusables is also cutting the share of that market. For those wanting a 'premium' disposable brand it appears Pampers have always done better over here.

You might find some people wanting a few samples for collectors purposes but I would expect the ABDL market for them is tiny. Most don't fit into baby nappies and if they do they hardly work well. If you wish to buy some before they disappear you would probably make a better return selling them to the parents who are convinced Huggies are the only thing that will work for their child and want all the stock they can get.