Thread: Diaper Pail Assistance Needed

Default Diaper Pail Assistance Needed

Hi there,

I read other related posts, but saw few links and personal experiences. The wife is going to crank out cloth diapers. The one she made, I washed 3 times yesterday! My question is, I should be able to afford a diaper pail with the savings. If I use 5 cloth diapers a week, with 10 baby prefolds as stuffers (per week) and am a bit (very) concerned with odor, what should I get? Oh, and she has mentioned making one herself...but some things are best left to ruthless corporations out to suck the soul of America. If you get my Dreft.

If you are using cloth I would say that a diaper pail is a most. You may be able to get away with using a regular baby diaper pail. If not there are sites that have adult size diaper pails.

I've heard of people using a 5 gallon plastic bucket with a lid. I use about a 2 1/2 to 3 gallon pail. I wash my diapers daily so I'm not concerned about odor. I rinse my wet diaper and soaker
    par in hot water before I put them to soak in my pail. I basically then hand wash them out about two hrs later.

Thanks, guys. Oleman, does handwashing do the job? You must be old school! Is that what your mom did when you were a baby?

I use one, I have a small washing machine, and do one load daily during the workweek, and 2 to 3 a day on the weekends. I use a disposable a day on average when working, and about one cloth a day during the workweek. So, sometimes I might go up to 3 days between diaper loads (every 2 or 3 days during the week, daily on the weekends) my biggest thing is to keep my bathroom well ventilated (the fart fan rarely stops). I used to pre-load a bit of water and detergent in the pail, but it hasn't seemed to happen lately..

I wash mine in the shower in the morning when I'm taking my shower. Then I hang them to dry in the basement. When I've collected 6 or more, I wash them in the washing machine. This seems to work well for me.

I think the sooner you take care of them the better. They really only get on the nose if you leave them hanging about.(unless of course, well you know, but I avoid that :/) You must rinse them as soon as you remove them if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by xtrabulk View Post
    Thanks, guys. Oleman, does handwashing do the job? You must be old school! Is that what your mom did when you were a baby?
    As I remember mom had a rub board and a wash tub. There was no automatic washers when I was born. She had to wash diapers for three of us. My brother and sister are only
    eleven months apart in age. So they were in diapers at pretty much at the same time. Back in those days most people had wringer washing machines and Monday was usually
    laundry day. Back in those days Maytag sold washing machines with either a electric motor or a gasoline engine. I myself these days I don't have access to laundry facilities.
    For me being retired it's not a problem for me to wash my diaper everyday. Also back in those days there were diaper services which picked up dirty diapers and returned back
    to you.

I use cloth diapers pretty much everyday if I am not traveling. This means I go through about 4 diapers a day and wash every 2 days. I put them in a 14 gallon dry pail that you can find HERE I've tried other pails and I really like this one. It keeps the smell down to a mere whisper with a carbon filter, locking sides and (if you want) a place on the lid for deodorizers.

I use a liner in the pail. The PUL liners from Planetwise fit this pail well. You can find them HERE Note: you can also find the liners and a decent pail through adult cloth diaper. However, I used the pail they sell for many years and it's not as good as the one I mention above.

When it's time for laundry you pull the liner out with diapers inside and throw in the washer. Walla...clean diapers.

Quote Originally Posted by xtrabulk View Post
    Hi there,

I read other related posts, but saw few links and personal experiences. The wife is going to crank out cloth diapers. The one she made, I washed 3 times yesterday! My question is, I should be able to afford a diaper pail with the savings. If I use 5 cloth diapers a week, with 10 baby prefolds as stuffers (per week) and am a bit (very) concerned with odor, what should I get? Oh, and she has mentioned making one herself...but some things are best left to ruthless corporations out to suck the soul of America. If you get my Dreft.
    I made my own using Rubbermaid 52 qt. White Spring-Top Trash Container-FG5L5806WHT at The Home Depot and Diaper Pail Liners by Planet Wise. Make sure to go to the manufacture's home page to find out how to wash and dry.

To compare with you, I have 12 prefolds coming this week, which puts me to 14. I estimate about 10-12 prefolds to fill the container up, by then about 2 days will go by. I will wash every 2-3 days, so it should easily last you if you go 24/7 at home. If you need larger there's a 5 gallon PUL liner. And the liner lock feature is amazing on the can I got. Holds it in wonderfully. Keep in mind this isn't airtight, so some odor will leak out, though I keep mine in my closet and odor doesn't escape into the house. It's not very powerful of an odor either, so it shouldn't get on your clothes at all if it's near it.

PM me and I'll show you pics of it.