Thread: "Homophobic Hatred" within the Autism Disability Community...

Default "Homophobic Hatred" within the Autism Disability Community...

Hello Everyone!

Just me, "Woody" the Autistic "Gay" Adult Baby.

Recently, on the AUTISM NETWORK INTERNATIONAL "AUTREAT" Meetup/Conference Information Message Board, there has been a massive raging "all-out" Jerry Springer Show style "brawl" regarding "Autism, Dating, & Relationships".

Boy!

Some of the "Straights" on that message board have really been "beating up on the LGBT Autistics, including "Jim Sinclair", the "Intersex" founder of the AUTISM NETWORK INTERNATIONAL Organization.

It is like:

"WHAT HAS GOTTEN INTO SOME OF US AUTISTICS?????"

What are your thoughts?????

Homophobia strikes in many communities unfortunately . Some times I think it is that the people who have the biggest problem with gays are closet gays them selves. I have seen some the biggest gay bashers have turned out to be gay themselves. They put on a show to hide who they really are. These people are afraid of their own feelings. So they Bully other to make their ego's feel good. Coming from an AB this may sound funny but these people need grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by kennyrallen View Post
    Homophobia strikes in many communities unfortunately . Some times I think it is that the people who have the biggest problem with gays are closet gays them selves. I have seen some the biggest gay bashers have turned out to be gay themselves. They put on a show to hide who they really are. These people are afraid of their own feelings. So they Bully other to make their ego's feel good. Coming from an AB this may sound funny but these people need grow up.
    I would agree with you on these points, friend.

There was supposed to be a panel discussion workshop @ AUTREAT 2013 coming up in another week, but "Jim Sinclair", ANI's founder had to "pull the plug" on the "Autism, Dating, & Relationships" panel/workshop, because of this nasty online "brawl".

Too Bad...

~ 1/5 of us Autistics are LGBT, & we want our civil rights too.

Quote Originally Posted by TCWWITHAUTISMANDCP View Post
    "WHAT HAS GOTTEN INTO SOME OF US AUTISTICS?????"

Sometimes the answer is in the question that's asked.

1. some Autistic people don't know "right" from "wrong" due to poor personal skills.
    2. Autism is a get out of jail free card to some.

Plus just like in the ab/dl community, the LGBT community, etc some of us are actually conservative and have conservative viewpoints.

I would agree with you on these points, friend.

There was supposed to be a panel discussion workshop @ AUTREAT 2013 coming up in another week, but "Jim Sinclair", ANI's founder had to "pull the plug" on the "Autism, Dating, & Relationships" panel/workshop, because of this nasty online "brawl".

Too Bad...

~ 1/5 of us Autistics are LGBT, & we want our civil rights too.
    Some of these younger people need to learn a little history about Autism and what we were called . Don't think some of them could handle being called Retarded. In school I was classified as being mildly retarded, today they call it Autism.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    [/U][/I][/B]

Sometimes the answer is in the question that's asked.

1. some Autistic people don't know "right" from "wrong" due to poor personal skills.
    2. Autism is a get out of jail free card to some.

Plus just like in the ab/dl community, the LGBT community, etc some of us are actually conservative and have conservative viewpoints.
    Some use it for an excuse for their bad behavior.

Recently, I counted the number of friends and acquaintances I know through this community who have a brain that operates somewhere within the autistic spectrum. I counted up to 17 and there may yet be a fair few I missed (my brain becomes more and more like a sieve as I age). I am still rather shocked at the high number. Before I talk about the OP's post, let me just quickly run over what I've learned from having the pleasure of knowing so many people with autism.

First, I will never call functional autism a disability. It isn't. Instead I see a lot of autistic people processing the world around them using a brain that works very differently. Different, but no better or worse. I like to often flip this on its head. Instead, imagining a world where autism is in the majority, and us norms in the minority. I'm sure the world would look very different, and function very differently. Most probably much more logically, and with less empathy - but my point is it would still function just differently! It would be us norms that are treated as the ones with a mental disorder. The problem with how we refer and view people with autism is that, they are trying to fit into our world, not the other way around.

I do realise there are those with severe autism who struggle to talk and communicate. Autism can vary so widely across the spectrum. But, for every one of those unfortunate people, there's also an absolutely brilliant mind who's often much more devoted to a particular vocation than a "normal person" could ever be - and with the ability to be great friends and confidants to people like me.

Now to talk about your post, hopefully with some context. I'm actually not at all shocked that there can be people with autism who are homophobes! Every single one of the 17 people I know are at least bi-sexual, if not completely gay. But, most people that I know with autism lack the ability to put themselves in the shoes of another unless they try very hard! It comes to most people so naturally - but to those with autism it is often a great struggle.

This tendency can lead to a lot of very strong opinions, with passions that back up those opinions. No different from normal a heated a debate I hear you say? True, but the major difference here is that for most people there is a line that they will not cross when they argue. One that is tempered by empathy for the person they are arguing with and an awareness of how they look in public. Without that empathetic tendency, this line is usually much more flexible, blurred and perhaps sometimes not there at all.

Now, introduce the internet as the medium, which is impersonal and remote at the best of times and allows us all to vent and say things we wouldn't in real life, and I can imagine how difficult autistic forums are to moderate. If I had to say one key word for you all, it would be "tolerance".

But this will probably fall on deaf ears. I'm often equally bad tolerating frustrating people. Damn chavs, *shakes fist* :P

When it comes to taboo subjects, "Dating & Relationships" is one of them.

On the AUTREAT ListServ Message Board, one "middle-aged" autistic "straight" guy, opened a can of gasoline, & "lit a match", & the discussion spiraled out of control from there.

When it comes to taboo subjects, "Dating & Relationships" is one of them.

On the AUTREAT ListServ Message Board, one "middle-aged" autistic "straight" guy, opened a can of gasoline, & "lit a match", & the discussion spiraled out of control from there.
    I'm curious, how is dating and relationships taboo?

mostly cuse the pros want to match autsits with other autists, wich is like saing, you can't mix your bad gens with noraml ppl, and plus even the "best" autist, the aspargers, if you mix 2 aspargers together the child will be 100% havily autistic, wich is a bad thing, at least thats what goes in in israel