Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well, the way my luck was running...

Default Well, the way my luck was running...

something good almost had to happen! And it couldn't have picked a better time to happen than my first urogynecologist appointment.

I was, as you know from my previous thread, extremely trepidatious about this appointment, not only because, um, it's my first urogynecology appointment, but because of some of the horror stories I've read here. So, as I told you, I went prepared. I wrote a long letter (three pages single spaced--I am nothing if not long-winded) to explain my history with bedwetting, IC and diapers. I went in yesterday to get their obnoxiously long new patient papers and filled them in before arriving today. I even did my best to have fluid in my bladder, as requested.

I was still nervous until I met him. This doctor turns out to be one of the nicest, most compassionate doctors I have ever had! He set me at my ease right away with his calm and friendly manner. He had not yet seen my letter, but he asked if I had a copy and then he read it through, asking me questions. (And BTW: he loved my sense of humor in it! He laughed at my Dostoyevski pun and at my joke that I'd rather go to school in only a diaper than give up coffee even if it is a diuretic. He said he knew where I was coming from on that one)
    So he asked more questions and talked to me for awhile, and then when he did his exam he was as gentle as possible under the circumstances.

He told me that he thought it likely that my bladder was contracting at times when it wasn't supposed to (is that OAB?) and that, if that is the case, he believes he can help me. He is having me do a test in a few weeks called a Multi-Channel Urodynamics test that will help determine if that is the case. And if not, he'll keep trying. But the great thing is that he showed no signs whatsoever of having any agenda other than helping me with my IC on my own terms. And he totally understood the use of diapers.

So all in all I feel very positive about my first experience! I think I had about as good a one as is conceivable, really...except for the catheter thing. I hate catheters. But at least I knew it was coming: I knew they needed to drain my bladder to find out how much urine remained after I thought it was empty and to test that "clean" urine. But still... Well, at least it completely solidified my opinion that diapers beat the living crap out of catheters.

ickg

LOL

Now, please don't get me wrong girl, I am laughing with you not at you.

Good on you for giving it a go, and glad to hear that you are off and running with a good team mate.

Tanks mon for the update.
    Last edited by Abner; 26-Jul-2013 at 22:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Abner View Post
    LOL

Now, please don't get me wrong girl, I am laughing with you not at you.

Good on you for giving it a go, and glad to hear that you are off and running with a good team mate.

Tanks mon for the update.
    All one can ever do is remain upbeat.

Now that wasn't so bad, was it? I'm glad you found someone right off the bat who is on your side. It sounds like he thinks it's bladder muscle instability (overactive bladder). He probably explained this, but during the urodymanics test, he will insert an instrument "down there", fill your bladder up and measure the smooth muscle contractions and subsequent bladder leakage at a certain point. He may also do a cytoscope at the same time, which looks for any abnormalities in the urethra and bladder wall.

There are a bunch of medications to try for OAB. Most work as acetylcholine inhibitors (or anticholinergic drugs) and therein lies the problem at least for some people, like myself. The effective dose of this medication can come with intolerable side effects. But, these drugs do help many people with OAB who can tolerate it.

I'm glad your first visit went well. Sounds like you have got a good rapore with your Dr and he's interested in helping you with your problems.

Good for you. I am with you on the caths, I dislike them with a passion . Any major operations I have had I always ended up having a cath put in. I think some hospitals just don't like dealing with wet diapers, cause it is in my recorded's that I am a bed wetter.

I've already tried a couple of the best meds including Vesicare, and they have done nada. But he sounded confident. So yay! :-)

Thanks for sharing your update. Like others, I'm glad it went well and that you can establish a good report with your doctor. I hope things can get better for you before school starts. We go back August 15th which isn't far off. Students come a week later. Though it sounds like some of these bladder tests can be uncomfortable, it's a short part of your life, with better times ahead for you.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Thanks for sharing your update. Like others, I'm glad it went well and that you can establish a good report with your doctor. I hope things can get better for you before school starts. We go back August 15th which isn't far off. Students come a week later. Though it sounds like some of these bladder tests can be uncomfortable, it's a short part of your life, with better times ahead for you.
    Sadly, my test isn't until after school starts, so the one certain thing is that I'll be starting school in diapers. Fun fun fun!

I'm sorry as I know you will feel uncomfortable. I'm not looking forward to the start of school, in part because I never know what my schedule will be. Last year I covered seven periods of junior high math. I actually didn't mind it, but it was a long day, and a year that was punctuated with back surgery.

I wondered what the surgery would cause, urinary wise, but I was alright in that capacity. We never know what life is going to throw at us, but when the unexpected happens, we try to find ways to cope. I wish you well.