View Poll Results: Have you heard of it?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never heard of it

17 73.91%
  • Heard of it (KY, Indiana, Ohio only)

0 0%
  • Heard of it

6 26.09%

Thread: Is this family oriented, localized, or all over?

Default Is this family oriented, localized, or all over?

Ok, so over here, we have a saying that if you hold your breath while driving over a bridge, if you hold it all the way over, a wish gets granted. I was just curious if this was something that was just within my family, localized, nationally limited, or all over? Can people tell me if you have ever heard of this?

I hold my breath when passing graveyards. It's not polite to breathe when others can't.

Well, where I live we used to hold our breath going over bridges, but that was just for the hell of it, not for any reason like a wish. There's a really loooooonnnnnggg bridge a couple of hours north of where I live over the Waitaki River that used to be a struggle to hold all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by AEsahaettr View Post
    I hold my breath when passing graveyards. It's not polite to breathe when others can't.
    I hold my breath when going in tunnels, but I will have to do this now also.

Quote Originally Posted by AbbieB View Post
    Ok, so over here, we have a saying that if you hold your breath while driving over a bridge, if you hold it all the way over, a wish gets granted. I was just curious if this was something that was just within my family, localized, nationally limited, or all over? Can people tell me if you have ever heard of this?
    Yes. Also, going through a tunnel.

Back when I was young growing up in the Midwest I would do it. A lot of bridges in those days were one lane and had wooden planks. They would rattle and bang every time they were crossed.

I've never heard of that. People would tell me to hold my breath over graveyard when I was a kid, but not for the reason AEsahettr said(while that actually is a reason that makes sense!) People would tell me don't breath so that no ghosts can go inside you. One of the dumb things kids made up I guess haha.

Never heard of it, and I'm from Italy.

Now try to do that while driving over a bridge like the Golden Gate in SF or the Brooklyn Bridge in NYC xD (or something else of a similar length xD)... And hope not to get jammed into traffic on it!

Quote Originally Posted by AEsahaettr View Post
    This is just brilliant! xD

Also, whenever characters in movies have an underwater scene, I hold my breath until the underwater scene is over to see if I'd make it.

Frequently, no. And realistically I'd need to do it while jogging in place to really simulate the experience.