Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting Ready for the Doc

Default Getting Ready for the Doc

I'm going to see my urologist Friday morning. I have been advised by several folks here that they often want "diaries" of urination, and I spent part of today pre-writing one for him: a patient history/quasi-diary/introduction/explanation of who I am and what I am looking for that pulls no punches. I intend to drive it over to his office tomorrow morning and give it to the receptionist in the hope that he might read it before our appointment. He might not, of course, but hey: I'm an optimist.

Near its beginning, I wrote:

I contemplated calling this document “Notes From the Diaperbound,” a play on Dostoyevsky, but I figured that probably wasn’t necessary. Still, the fact that it even occurred to me ought to give you a clue about my state of mind:

I am approaching this situation in the same way I approach most everything else in my life: with realism, humor, and an open mind. I get upset about things, and I certainly had my initial meltdowns about losing bladder control, but that was two months ago; I have since accepted and started to deal with the issue and found that, well, I can. So I come to you not so much expecting a miracle cure—hoping for one maybe, but only if there is some underlying cause that you can find that can be dealt with—as desiring to rule out any serious or life-threatening issues that might be causing it.
    Then I went through a full history and a clear summation of what happens to me on a daily basis. At the end, to make things absolutely clear, I wrote this:

What I Am Looking For:

First and foremost, I am not interested in someone whose first priority is “getting me out of diapers.” As I believe I have mentioned, I don’t care about diapers. One solution or another to manage IC is a personal preference, and this is the one that works for me. Pads I overflow and catheters…um, NO. What I do want is to know what is causing this (if possible) and to work with a doctor to resolve it (if possible) and to keep me as healthy as we possibly can. So if “getting rid of the IC” or “doing what we can about the IC” is your stated priority, that works fine for me, because that is my priority too.
    I figure the more upfront I am about all of this from the start, the better result I can get.

Right?

ickg

So, do you want to cure your incontinence, or just make sure it won't lead to worse things? As someone who is incontinent, but a DL, I like to get insight into the POV of those who don't have a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bambusa View Post
    So, do you want to cure your incontinence, or just make sure it won't lead to worse things? As someone who is incontinent, but a DL, I like to get insight into the POV of those who don't have a choice.
    As I said to the doc: resolve it if possible, but at least make sure it is not a sign of something worse. If I could cure this, of course I would. I hate to say it, but the only people who think that being incontinent would be desirable are those who have never experienced incontinence.

ickg

Quote Originally Posted by ICkaraokegirl View Post
    As I said to the doc: resolve it if possible, but at least make sure it is not a sign of something worse. If I could cure this, of course I would. I hate to say it, but the only people who think that being incontinent would be desirable are those who have never experienced incontinence.

ickg
    Amen to that sister.

ickg,

ah - another avid reader and admirer of the classics? (your play on Dostoyevsky)
    as neat as that is, I guess unless the doc either gets this or at least find it humoring, I guess it doesn't really create a good start.

The rest I think is quite good... I have never written anything about my request/wishes upfront - but I guess this way you have made things quite clear - which is good.

Good luck with your appointment let us know how it went...

Quote Originally Posted by ICkaraokegirl View Post

ickg
    That was like me. I wanted confirmation of what I already knew, and what I had to look forward to. Not much they can do about an abnormally small bladder. My bladder never grew to full size, it is the size of a 6 or 7 year old's. A long with weak muscles.

Quote Originally Posted by EPO1 View Post
    ickg,

ah - another avid reader and admirer of the classics? (your play on Dostoyevsky)
    as neat as that is, I guess unless the doc either gets this or at least find it humoring, I guess it doesn't really create a good start.

The rest I think is quite good... I have never written anything about my request/wishes upfront - but I guess this way you have made things quite clear - which is good.

Good luck with your appointment let us know how it went...
    I have no clue whether he will read it. All I can control is whether I write it and whether I deliver it ahead of time. I did the first and am about to leave to do the second. I am in general a pro-active individual. I do not like to wait until after the fact to do something if I can reasonably expect that "something" to be necessary to do. Thus, as I have learned from all of your posts ("your" being plural here) that it is likely that doctors will have expectations of me and prejudices in themselves, I feel the need to handle the first and shut down the second. It's who I am.

Basically I like to cut through the layers of BS. :-)

In the end the Doctors can only tell us what is going on with our bodies. It is up to us on how we handle things. I had hoped that there was something that could be done. beyond medications that didn't work for me there is little else they can do. So for me the older I get the worst my problems will be. Knowing what's coming has re-leaved my mind a lot. I do hope that there is something they can do for you.

Bravo. This is how I would handle it. It certainly can't hurt to be upfront. I wish you the best of luck with your appointment and I'm looking forward to hearing how it turns out.

It seems like sometimes doctors use medications and treatments as a form of diagnosis -- by seeing how it responds to one drug over another, it gives them clues as to what is going on underneath. This might be even moreso the case with IC (might not -- i'm not a medical professional). However, he/she might tell you that as a part of your initial conversation begun by the background material you provided. Might be worth keeping in mind or even expecting.