Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Is this really Justice?

  1. #1

    Default Is this really Justice?

    Recently I have been thinking about the U.S. and our system of justice and how completely fucked up it seems. For example, I see it all the time in the news, some big celebrity is found with drugs or caught with a DUI and they get a slap on the wrist and rehab. The normal average joe does the same and they get loads of jail time. Was recently told about a rapper who has had his license revoked some 30 times.

    I can get past all that, but this recent news story about a bicyclist that killed a 71 year old that was crossing the street. He plead guilty and got off with 1000 hours community service and 3 years probation.

    Full story here: Cyclist pleads guilty to first U.S. felony vehicular manslaughter by bike: prosecutor - chicagotribune.com

    I remember awhile back a discussion on this site of people saying that our system was fair and worked. If this is a working justice system, count me out. How does Vehicular Manslaughter only get community service? 25, 40 hour works week worth.

  2. #2

    Default

    Manslaughter is not Murder. If you had killed someone while riding on your bike accidentally, Do you deserve the death penalty?

    It sounds like that was an accident, seems like a fair sentence to me. What good would sending this man to Jail do, besides create more overcrowding?

  3. #3

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Orcaway View Post
    Manslaughter is not Murder. If you had killed someone while riding on your bike accidentally, Do you deserve the death penalty?

    It sounds like that was an accident, seems like a fair sentence to me. What good would sending this man to Jail do, besides create more overcrowding?
    He ran a light, he failed to obey traffic law. I'm sure a drunk driver doesn't mean to kill anyone, so by your logic, they should get off and not go to jail?

  4. #4

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by FauxPas View Post
    He ran a light, he failed to obey traffic law. I'm sure a drunk driver doesn't mean to kill anyone, so by your logic, they should get off and not go to jail?
    Why do you people have to jump the gun like this? Every single time.

    The guy messed up, yeah. He didn't get into a car, drink and run someone over because of it, he failed to abide by a simple traffic law, which drunk driving is not. Your argument isn't an argument, it's a fallacy, and a very commonly abused one at that. It's a fair sentence.

  5. #5

    Default

    As above. Your argument attempts to circumvent the original, by providing a similar case but on a different magnitude of order, that draws attention away from the original. I agree that he did deserve a charge, but he got what was fair.

    If you want injustice, try the guy who ripped $16 million off a district health board and got parole to 5-star accommodation after 4.5 years. Absolute travesty, especially considering his lack of co-operation (only $3.5 million has been recovered so far). He should have been in there for his full sentence, at least, unless he actually showed some remorse/tried to undo what he did.

  6. #6

    Default

    I agree with the sentence. What he did was stupid and he is paying for it. I'm sure part of the rationale for the sentence was based on his genuine remorse. A longer sentence would not change what has happened. Good people make mistakes. Education in safety and preventative measures serve as deterrents far more than tougher sentences.

  7. #7

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by FauxPas View Post
    He ran a light, he failed to obey traffic law. I'm sure a drunk driver doesn't mean to kill anyone, so by your logic, they should get off and not go to jail?
    A person getting into a car drunk creates a significantly larger risk to public safety than a person who gets on a bike while sober. I don't think the two crimes should be similarly punished.

    The cyclist chose to perform an action which was reckless and unwittingly resulted in a man's death. IANAL, but to me as a layman, manslaughter seems to be the appropriate charge in this case. So I agree with the charge. As for sentencing, 1,000 hours of community service and three years' probation seems sufficient for the rehabilitation of said cyclist. I'm ok with the outcome of this case unless someone has compelling reason to believe he committed murder, or that the sentence is lenient enough to risk recidivism.

  8. #8
    June

    Default

    Decades of jail time for running a red light and accidentally killing someone is overtly harsh. I agree with the sentence. It was a much lower-scaled accident then getting drunk and driving. I guarantee you this man will not make that mistake again with the current sentence, so why make a harsher one just to feel a sense of vengeance?

  9. #9

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by June View Post
    Decades of jail time for running a red light and accidentally killing someone is overtly harsh. I agree with the sentence. It was a much lower-scaled accident then getting drunk and driving. I guarantee you this man will not make that mistake again with the current sentence, so why make a harsher one just to feel a sense of vengeance?
    I feel to make a statement, too many bicyclists don't obey traffic law, I feel that it is time they start doing so or face the same consequences a driver would face. I've almost hit numerous bikers because they fail to yield to stop signs or lights. If I had hit them, guess who gets first blame? I would.

    Cops rarely do anything about the traffic violations that occur from a bicycle. This does not send much of a message to any other bikers that break those laws.

  10. #10
    June

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by FauxPas View Post
    I feel to make a statement, too many bicyclists don't obey traffic law, I feel that it is time they start doing so or face the same consequences a driver would face. I've almost hit numerous bikers because they fail to yield to stop signs or lights. If I had hit them, guess who gets first blame? I would.
    I'm strongly opposed to imposing a harsh sentence merely to "make an example" of the defendant, as it would be unfair to him if numerous others aren't actually obeying the laws either. There is little evidence suggesting harsh sentences are effective deterrents. This is about prosecuting the cyclist that committed the crime, and I don't see how decades of jail time will be more effective than a bunch of community service, three years of probation, a huge stain on his future background checks, and having to live with the guilt that he killed a man due to a careless mistake. Manslaughter and murder should not carry out equal sentences, nor should they. There's a great reason why we should lock up a man that went out with an intention to kill someone longer than someone that ran a red light.

    I also doubt this would be any different of a sentence if he were in a car. It's the same charge, essentially, but with a vehicle.

Similar Threads

  1. The Nature of Justice
    By IamGod in forum Mature Topics
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-Nov-2012, 06:48
  2. You can call me Justice.
    By justiceprime in forum Greetings / Introductions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 16-Jan-2009, 15:38

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.