View Poll Results: Have you hear of polyphasic sleeping?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am a polyphasic sleeper/Tried to be one

    1 14.29%
  • Never heard of it.

    2 28.57%
  • I've heard about it, never tried it.

    4 57.14%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Polyphasic Sleeping

  1. #1

    Default Polyphasic Sleeping

    First of all for anyone that doesn't know what polyphasic sleeping is, i'll just a quick definition. Polyphonic sleeping is sleeping in more than one cycle (hence poly-) instead of sleeping for 8h at once, you sleep multiple cycle which can very depending on what specific cycle you want to do.

    The purpose is to gain efficiency, you can gain up to 6 hours a day in the most extreme cycle. An even shorter definition would be; trading one long poor quality sleep for multiple shorter high quality sleeps.

    I was curious too see how many people hear have heard of it, or is a polyphasic sleeper. I'm gearing up to start it soon, thought I would see if anyone does it on here. It is going to mess up my diaper wearing habbits, might make it harder to hide.



    Sorry if this is a wasted topic because no one knows what the hell I'm talking about :P

  2. #2

    Default

    Only place I'd heard of this was on Seinfeld. I loved Kramer, just an amazing character (enough so I named on my cats Cosmo!)

  3. #3

    Default

    I've heard of it. Apparently if you do it right you can sleep three hours a night or something like that. I haven't felt the need to try it, although if uni gets any more intense work-wise, I might give it a go. Would be like having two days in one.

  4. #4

    Default

    I've done research on the Uberman cycle, which essentially gets you down to 2hrs per 24h period.

    From what I've read, over the long term it starts to take a serious toll on your body. REM sleep is probably the most important, which most of these systems seek to optimize for. Those other phases serve a purpose too, and it seems like while you won't die without them or go completely insane the way you would without REM sleep, going long enough without them screws up other aspects of your mind and body.

    It seems like the kind of thing that would be useful for a short period of time, which is really where a lot of this research has been directed (by the military mostly). Over the long term it seems like a really bad idea. Then again, the way most of us live/sleep right now is pretty bad, so what the heck!

  5. #5

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by BoundCoder View Post
    From what I've read, over the long term it starts to take a serious toll on your body. REM sleep is probably the most important, which most of these systems seek to optimize for. Those other phases serve a purpose too, and it seems like while you won't die without them or go completely insane the way you would without REM sleep, going long enough without them screws up other aspects of your mind and body.
    This is accurate. You have two sleep cycles: REM and deep sleep. REM refreshes the mind. Deep sleep refreshes the body. You're mind will be alert, but your body will be sluggish and lethargic. Wounds will heal more slowly. Your immune system will be a lot weaker. Muscles will become damaged and will scar instead of growing stronger. Etc.

    It's a stupid, stupid idea.

  6. #6

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by AEsahaettr View Post
    This is accurate. You have two sleep cycles: REM and deep sleep. REM refreshes the mind. Deep sleep refreshes the body. You're mind will be alert, but your body will be sluggish and lethargic. Wounds will heal more slowly. Your immune system will be a lot weaker. Muscles will become damaged and will scar instead of growing stronger. Etc.

    It's a stupid, stupid idea.
    That's not true. I mean yes if you are SWS deficient it's bad for you, and I could see that happening with uberman cycle long term, and very few people do it long term, most people do the everyman cycle or duel core. Everyman is 3.5 hours core sleep then 3 naps throughout the day (and slight variations). So you don't get REM or SWS deprived. At first you will, because you have to adapt. But when you do you wont be sleep deprived.

    Please don't be judgmental by calling it a "stupid, stupid idea" before you even do any research. You can express your opinion but don't state it as a fact. There is actually another sleep state called light sleep which is why the monophasic sleep cycle is poor. Polyphasic sleeping swaps a long poor quality sleep for short good quality sleeps. Right now I'm doing segmented sleep and I'm feeling better and better every day.

  7. #7

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by ShyLittleBoy View Post
    Please don't be judgmental by calling it a "stupid, stupid idea" before you even do any research.
    I'm two months from finishing a relevant Master's degree and start on a PhD in four weeks.

    What are your credentials in the area?

  8. #8

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by AEsahaettr View Post
    I'm two months from finishing a relevant Master's degree and start on a PhD in four weeks.

    What are your credentials in the area?
    Research. There has been study's that show is possible to re partition our sleep cycles. Making the 20 min naps have almost all REM and the core(s) would have SWS.

    That's great about your master's degree but please don't talk down to me like that. It is possible, people do it long term and their not sleep deprived or have muscle weakness or anything else you said.

  9. #9

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by ShyLittleBoy View Post
    Research. There has been study's that show is possible to re partition our sleep cycles. Making the 20 min naps have almost all REM and the core(s) would have SWS.
    Give me some links from peer-reviewed sources and let's take a look.



    Quote Originally Posted by ShyLittleBoy View Post
    That's great about your master's degree but please don't talk down to me like that. It is possible, people do it long term and their not sleep deprived or have muscle weakness or anything else you said.
    I'm not talking down. I actually know something about the topic and have looked at peer-reviewed research in the area.

    Sleep deprivation results in muscle atrophy.

    Sleep deprivation reduces recovery of muscle tissue after physical assertion.

    Sleep deprivation induces muscular atrophy.

    If three peer-reviewed articles aren't enough for you, tell me how many you need. I got about halfway down the first page of search results on PubMed out of 472.

    Now, you could argue that those articles are discussing total sleep deprivation so the comparison isn't apples to apples. However, both the articles above as well as what you're proposing completely eliminate deep sleep, which is the sleep cycle in which muscles are maintained and restored. The relevant portion of the comparison is impact.

  10. #10

    Default

    what's immediately obvious is the way in which the suggestion, here, of 'polyphasic sleeping' increasing efficiency, when 'napping' has far fewer letters to it's name.

    aside from that, i'm fully conversant with napping, be it forced or otherwise. under normal circumstances, it is detrimental to health ('normal' meaning natural).
    in fact, anything other than a regular abiding by the day-night cycle seems to produce harmful or lethal results.

Similar Threads

  1. Sleeping
    By Aaron21 in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-Apr-2013, 04:22
  2. Sleeping Wet
    By ScarecrowJoe in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 05-Jan-2013, 04:57
  3. Sleeping
    By leicesterfan in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-Jul-2009, 08:46
  4. Rip while sleeping
    By Mingus in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-Jan-2009, 14:47
  5. Sleeping in baby sleeping bags
    By Terry70 in forum Adult Babies & Littles
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 21-Dec-2008, 08:11

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.