Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Patriotism-What's your view?

Default Patriotism-What's your view?

Patriotism is a word that is heard a lot, at least in the US. Numerous people claim to be one, and the Tea Party as an organisation regularly self prescribes itself as patriotic. In any case, what do you all think about it. Personally, I find it irrational, because after all, no one chooses where they are born and who they are born to. Secondly, it can create an us vs them mentality, and the idea of superiority and inferiority amongst certain groups. However, I concede that it can also inspire people to do great things for the greater good, and can act as an incredible unifying force for an otherwise scattered people.

So, that's how I see it. What do you lovely people think?

June

I believe the only ones that should be proud to be "x" are the ones that successfully beat the immigration process and started a successful life in a country. How can you be proud of being American if you were born there with more than sufficient opportunity? It makes as much sense as "heterosexual pride".

The Tea Party are generally not patriots. You can't be opposed to paying taxes for your country and its citizens and believe in citizens arming themselves against the country you love so much, then call yourself a patriot.

jcrowley1985

Globalization has made patriotism towards any nation or party irrelavent to the point where it's meaningless to vote anymore. Just look at the 2012 election, two candidates more concerned with global interests then the interests of their own people.
    Last edited by HogansHeroes; 23-Jul-2013 at 04:14. Reason: removing borderline off-topic parts

I'm a patriotic American who loves his country... I feel the way I do because I am a part of a family that has been here since the Mayflower and my father's family has been here since the 1790s. My family has been here for years and has fought in every American war since the Revolutionary war. So I take pride in that... And I don't see how Ron Paul is even considered relevant to the topic at hand... so I am not saying anything else and let someone else deal with that topic... same with that corporate global elite BS again.

I am a patriotic American. On holidays I wear my USS Nimitz baseball cap and I love to build models of our warships and planes. Right now, I'm completing the USS Arizona and doing some work on the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower. I hope to build the old wooden ship USS Constellation someday. It's a way for me to have some respect for those who have worn the uniform. I would have served too had it not been my disabilities. I believe patriotism is a sense of loyalty to where you are from and my patriotism is a part of who I am. I've a lot of pride in being an American. Do I like the government, no... do I like what goes on in DC no. BUT I do love this land.

This land is a part of who I am and I know if I was born elsewhere I would be worse off in my life and that's why I will argue with some people sometimes but I'm done arguing.. let someone else deal with it.

WildThing121675

To be honest; how I feel is summed up in the song God Bless the USA by Lee Greenwood... look it up on YouTube sometime... the lyrics are how I feel about this land!

Patriotism is the foundation of a lot of people who close their ears and eyes to anything they refuse to hear about their country. It breeds ignorance and arrogance. Most patroits I have met are complete and total morons and refuse to hear anything other than "america is #1" and stands behind most idiotic actions America does overseas or even in the country itself.

Most patriots I've met are also conservative, so I guess that makes sense.

I'm hardly conservative... lol. And I don't like what goes on overseas and or war. I just have some patriotism because I know if I was born elsewhere I would probably be worse-off than I am now. That's why I am patriotic; grateful for what I have in my life... Plus I grew up around people who served in WWII, Korea and Vietnam so that may have something to do with how I feel.

WildThing121675

June

Quote Originally Posted by WildThing121675 View Post
    I'm hardly conservative... lol. And I don't like what goes on overseas and or war. I just have some patriotism because I know if I was born elsewhere I would probably be worse-off than I am now. That's why I am patriotic; grateful for what I have in my life... Plus I grew up around people who served in WWII, Korea and Vietnam so that may have something to do with how I feel.

WildThing121675
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with loving the place you live in. It's the extreme patriotism (I will love my country no matter what), and national pride that is senseless.

I'm only proud of my nationality when the government decides to do the "Right" thing. Never willing to dress up a failure as anything else to make my country look better.

Quote Originally Posted by WildThing121675 View Post
    I'm hardly conservative... lol. And I don't like what goes on overseas and or war. I just have some patriotism because I know if I was born elsewhere I would probably be worse-off than I am now. That's why I am patriotic; grateful for what I have in my life...
    You only feel that way because you were born here, rather than else where. America isn't the only country in the world that has the idea of freedom. Many would argue that places in England are more free than here, although I'd have to disagree from the stories I've heard. However, the only reason you have this idea that you'd be worse off anywhere but where you are now is because you were born here. That's why it's silly to be patriotic. It's okay to love a nation or your country, but being patriotic makes no sense to me.

"America! [email protected]# Yeah!" -Trey Parker and Matt Stone

Actually I love my country even with its faults. As a wise man once said, "America is the worst country on Earth, next to all of the others!"

Oh say can you see, by the dawn's early light. Dah dah dah dah dah dum, blee blee blee something good.

Land of the free, BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE!