Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why is Marijuana illegal while Cigarettes aren't?

DahRavager

Default Why is Marijuana illegal while Cigarettes aren't?

I've pondered on the very statement, and to me (though I have never smoked either) cigarettes seem worse for you than Marijuana.

The only negative HEALTH effect Marijuana has is it can strongly discombobulate your mind/actions. And yet, it has it's positives. Marijuana can ease depression, it can ease pain, and it can calm people.

Cigarettes on the other hand lead to lung cancer, heart cancer, brain damage, wrinkles, coughing, trouble breathing, really foul odors, and countless other things I can't even list.

June

Tobacco has been tolerated longer. Politicians and other powerful people attempted to impose a bad label on marijuana, particularly William Randolph Hearst. It still has the connotation of being a "drug", generally, therefore the remaining oldest generation isn't too fond of it.

People the amount of taxes the government aquires from cigarettes is too good to pass up, since people are addicted to them, literally, and they basically are forced to keep spending and buying more. They did the push by banning cigarette ads on TV (thanks Nixon), but that's really as far as they can go. We can't make them illegal, so many people are addicted to them that we can't arrest or fine them for doing something that has been done for, well, centuries.

Quote Originally Posted by DahRavager View Post
    Cigarettes on the other hand lead to lung cancer, heart cancer, brain damage, wrinkles, coughing, trouble breathing, really foul odors, and countless other things I can't even list.
    Marijuana does all or most of these things as well. These are overwhelmingly health effects that result from the act of breathing smoke into your lungs regularly over an extended period of time rather than things that result from breathing smoke specifically from tobacco.

There are a ton of articles, but I think Washington state marijuana regulators want more federal clarity on rules - Chicago Tribune covers the lack of federal response to state legalization of recreational use best. Not a fan of messing with my brain, but I do love watching bureaucracy in inaction.
    Last edited by HogansHeroes; 23-Jul-2013 at 04:22. Reason: removed quote of deleted post

I am mixed on the subject of marijuana because I have a few friends that support legalization and I grew up in a neighborhood where there was a lot of drug use. I have seen the pros and cons and YES; I have had a few j's in my day. I don't smoke it right now because of the fact I don't wish to get caught with it.

I have had a lot of arguments with a friend over the whole issue and I get tired of how brainwashed they are over legalizing and saying that it is harmless. I don't know what to make of that. I really don't. I've seen people so baked, so out of their mind that they don't do anything except just sit on stoops and smoke joints. I don't know if we need legalization.

I also have issues with the medical marijuana thing. I don't know what to believe on that. I have listened to the pros on it but I still don't know if it is legit or not. I really don't know what to think. I also was kind of caught up in the whole 'Just Say NO' thing of the '80s when I was a kid.

Meh, I really don't know what to think...

WildThing121675

Quote Originally Posted by Cauthon View Post
    There are a ton of articles, but I think Washington state marijuana regulators want more federal clarity on rules - Chicago Tribune covers the lack of federal response to state legalization of recreational use best. Not a fan of messing with my brain, but I do love watching bureaucracy in inaction.
    Just because federal government/branches haven't done anything yet doesn't mean they can't/wont.
    Last edited by HogansHeroes; 23-Jul-2013 at 04:22. Reason: removed quote of deleted post

DahRavager

Cigarettes are far more consumed than cigars, quite noticeably. Cigars tend to be more formal/sophisticated; you always see Dons smoking cigars, not cigarettes. Though cigars are no better for you than cigarettes, not many people care about them. So getting rid of cigarettes but keeping cigars around doesn't seem all to bad as a compromise.

I've never understood why cigarettes are a legal product. If someone came out with a product today that had so many chemicals and poisons that cigarettes do, they would never be a legal product. What our government cares about is making money through the taxes that cigarettes generate. They demonstrated time and again that they don't care about human life. Look how many young men have died in stupid political wars.

As for marijuana, I would decriminalize it and make it a misdemeanor.

I've also wondered why roadside bars are legal, if driving intoxicated is illegal.