Thread: On lucid dreaming

Default On lucid dreaming

This seems to be a cicada thread. But the previous generations are closed and there has been some recent discussion in the DL forum (my fault), so I thought I would bring it back again to collect them.

This started with a side comment of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by adasterix View Post
    My experience:
    I am often present in my dreams (as in so-called lucid dreaming) so that may be a factor in both experiences. (I can also debunk the bit about not being able to read in your dreams. I do this regularly and have even read comics that I found to be funny. I've not yet been able to remember one of them when I wake, though.)

Quote Originally Posted by ICkaraokegirl View Post
    Can this be self-taught? I've always wished to do it but never been able to.

I don't know about the "taught" part, but it was certainly self for me. I originally started experiencing it as a response to nightmares; I started rationalizing them. ("I managed to jump this high without breaking a leg, so I must be able to land without breaking one". This was years before I'd even heard of Newtonian mechanics.)

I found out later that my mother had done a similar thing when she was a child, so maybe it could be inborn. It could also be a symptom of other, less handy, things about one's brain, that I apparently also share with my mother.

I'm happy to discuss this and dreams in general, but it's off-topic here. If you want to follow-up maybe you could start a thread in the Off-Topic forum. Send me a note if you do, 'cause I don't usually follow it.

And yes, one can lucid dream about that, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Abner View Post
    I would be interested in knowing this also. Sounds like a good time saver, and if noting else, good entertainment for the long term memory side of the brain.

Please, let us know...inquiring minds want to know. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Cauthon View Post
    I've used a couple methods to try to learn, but I always stopped because I kept getting sleep paralysis. Not fun.

Here is a handy resource, I had success with a couple methods but the sleep paralysis made it not worth it for me. How to Lucid Dream: 16 Steps - wikiHow
    I've seen a lot of advice about how to do this, but I have yet to see any posts from someone who claims that they have actually worked for them. I'm skeptical, in part, because the ways that they give for telling if you are lucid dreaming are always bogus in my experience. I can do any of these things and actually have done many of them (Come on, you're lucid _dreaming_, being able to make things happen is the point, right?)

My experience is that it isn't really that hard to tell. If you don't know you are lucid dreaming, you aren't. If you can fly in your waking world, don't bother dreaming about it.

Having said that, I don't know how to make it happen. For me it was a response to traumatic dreams, but I don't think that is an attractive approach.

With respect to sleep paralysis, this is actually one of the things that led me to intervene in my dreams. Sleep paralysis is normal. (Essential. Without it you do things in your sleep that you really don't want to.) Being aware of it is not. But if you are dreaming, you can do something about it.

One repeated aspect of this, for me, is dreams in which I can't move my legs. (You've had those, right?) My reading of this is that it is a partial awareness of sleep paralysis. After I got good at changing what was happening in my dreams, I arrived at a number of work-arounds. My favorite is realizing that I can skate along a few inches off the floor, sort of a cross between Gumby (before your time) and a hoverboard. Other times, I realize that I can push myself along with my hands, again a kind of skating along the ground, but on my butt.

To be clear, I was modifying my dreams for a _long_ time (from something like five years old, or so, until my mid-20s) before I realized what I was doing. That's when I started asking myself what else I could do and doing it on purpose.

So I would say that if you've ever had one of those paralyzed dreams, you're already close. You just have to find enough motivation to change it.

Hi again,

I opened a thread about lucid dreaming an hour ago http://www.adisc.org/forum/off-topic...ml#post1081573 but I guessed you missed it. I mentioned this gliding along the floor thing; take a look at what I wrote because it's one of the things that prompts my interests.

ickg

I've seen a lot of advice about how to do this, but I have yet to see any posts from someone who claims that they have actually worked for them. I'm skeptical, in part, because the ways that they give for telling if you are lucid dreaming are always bogus in my experience. I can do any of these things and actually have done many of them (Come on, you're lucid _dreaming_, being able to make things happen is the point, right?)
    IIRC It's just about recognizing that you are in a dream, and that understanding that gives you conscious control.

For all I know I'm always lucid dreaming though barring those attempts, really concentrating on remembering my dreams, and napping while reading I don't remember any of my dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by ICkaraokegirl View Post
    Hi again,

I opened a thread about lucid dreaming an hour ago http://www.adisc.org/forum/off-topic...ml#post1081573 but I guessed you missed it. I mentioned this gliding along the floor thing; take a look at what I wrote because it's one of the things that prompts my interests.

ickg
    I think our posts must have crossed. I replied to your comment on your thread.
    Those who want to follow-up should post there.