Thread: Dreams and Lucid Dreaming

Default Dreams and Lucid Dreaming

In another thread we stumbled onto the topic of lucid dreaming. The wikihow link on that topic How to Lucid Dream: 16 Steps - wikiHow was posted, and people seemed interested in continuing the conversation about just what one can accomplish in a lucid dream.

I have not experienced these dreams, though they fascinated me long before the movie Inception was a flicker of a thought in a Nolan brother's cerebrum. I often have the opposite "realization" from discovering that I am dreaming: realizing that I am awake. Let me explain: in almost all of my dreams, I possess the ability to glide pretty much as far as I want. It's a form of flying, which I understand is common in dreams, where I simply take a step and decide not to land yet, sometimes for...miles. Most often, though, in the dreams, I use this to get down staircases quickly, etc. And once in a while, IRL, I find myself--I know how odd this sounds--standing on a staircase suddenly overcome by the awkward reality that I can't do that. It takes conscious thought to remember that the ability existed only in a dream state, and this catches me by surprise each time.

This has happened three or four times now. I can't really explain it, but it certainly has something to do with Dream state bleeding over into Waking state. That's one reason I'm so interested in consciously going the other way.

What experiences have you all had?

Quote Originally Posted by ICkaraokegirl View Post
    Let me explain: in almost all of my dreams, I possess the ability to glide pretty much as far as I want. It's a form of flying, which I understand is common in dreams, where I simply take a step and decide not to land yet, sometimes for...miles. Most often, though, in the dreams, I use this to get down staircases quickly, etc. And once in a while, IRL, I find myself--I know how odd this sounds--standing on a staircase suddenly overcome by the awkward reality that I can't do that. It takes conscious thought to remember that the ability existed only in a dream state, and this catches me by surprise each time.

This has happened three or four times now. I can't really explain it, but it certainly has something to do with Dream state bleeding over into Waking state. That's one reason I'm so interested in consciously going the other way.

What experiences have you all had?
    So I think our posts crossed. (Mine was open for a while before I actually posted it.)
    I don't know how to merge them, but it would be nice to. I'll put a note in my thread directing follow-ups to here.

I'm fascinated by our nearly identical experiences with the gliding thing. I don't know how common it is.
    How did you first discover that you could do it?

I also have a lot of difficulty at the transition between sleeping and waking. I struggle a lot to actually wake and get up. Part of this may be due to medication. For the last few years, I have often had the experience of waking, forcing myself to actually get up and starting my day only to find things getting strange at which point I realize that I'm still sleeping. This can happen several times in a row until I finally break through.

I've also had the experience of waking and lying there with my eyes still closed and gradually realizing that I could make out shapes in the light that shines through my eyelids, which gradually resolves into a clear view of the room. This seems sensible to me for a while, but sometimes I realize that room I'm seeing is not one I've slept in for a long time, or that I can actually make out what's going on outside the wall. At that point it's, "rats I'm asleep again."

I've never had the sensation of thinking I might be sleeping when I'm actually awake. This sounds a lot more dangerous. Be careful on those stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by adasterix View Post
    So I think our posts crossed. (Mine was open for a while before I actually posted it.)
    I don't know how to merge them, but it would be nice to. I'll put a note in my thread directing follow-ups to here.

I'm fascinated by our nearly identical experiences with the gliding thing. I don't know how common it is.
    How did you first discover that you could do it?

I also have a lot of difficulty at the transition between sleeping and waking. I struggle a lot to actually wake and get up. Part of this may be due to medication. For the last few years, I have often had the experience of waking, forcing myself to actually get up and starting my day only to find things getting strange at which point I realize that I'm still sleeping. This can happen several times in a row until I finally break through.

I've also had the experience of waking and lying there with my eyes still closed and gradually realizing that I could make out shapes in the light that shines through my eyelids, which gradually resolves into a clear view of the room. This seems sensible to me for a while, but sometimes I realize that room I'm seeing is not one I've slept in for a long time, or that I can actually make out what's going on outside the wall. At that point it's, "rats I'm asleep again."

I've never had the sensation of thinking I might be sleeping when I'm actually awake. This sounds a lot more dangerous. Be careful on those stairs.
    I don't know that it is so much that I think I am sleeping as that I think I have this ability that I actually only have while I am sleeping. And it's weird: I really do believe I can do it. Until I think about it consciously and understand that, well, no, I cannot. And that's when my mind separates the memory of the gliding off into dream memory; prior to that it was in real memory. Bizarre.

I don't actually know how I discovered I could do this, or even how long I've been doing it. I think it has been at least several years. I do know that it has expanded as time has gone on. Once it really was just something to get down stairs faster. Now I can slip over as much territory as I want. It's the conscious decision to put my foot down that determines when it stops. And of course there is nothing at all unusual about this: it's just how things work. I'd love to find a way to recognize the non-reality of doing this while I am dreaming, thus force myself to realize that I am in fact dreaming. So far that has not happened. Instead I just glide happily along. And I must say the feeling is fantastic: there is a freedom in knowing you don't ever have to put your foot back down if you don't wish to.

There are lots of aspects of lucid dreaming I would like to understand better, but I really think that may only be fully possible if I can actually manage to experience them. We shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by ICkaraokegirl View Post
    And of course there is nothing at all unusual about this: it's just how things work. I'd love to find a way to recognize the non-reality of doing this while I am dreaming, thus force myself to realize that I am in fact dreaming. So far that has not happened. Instead I just glide happily along. And I must say the feeling is fantastic: there is a freedom in knowing you don't ever have to put your foot back down if you don't wish to.

There are lots of aspects of lucid dreaming I would like to understand better, but I really think that may only be fully possible if I can actually manage to experience them. We shall see.
    It sounds to me like you're almost there. You have a good trigger---the gliding---and an awareness, in your dream, that you just have to put your foot down to stop. I'd focus on this and try to recognize it when it's happening---"Hey, I'm gliding. I must be dreaming. What else can I do?"

This is not very much different than my "Ah man, my legs aren't working. It's OK, I can just do the Gumby thing. Hey, I wonder what else I can do." The first two steps are automatic. The third is just the realization that I've been here before.

Best of luck. And remember, if your dreams ain't happy it's your own damn fault. (If you think about it, that's true no matter how you dream or where they come from.)

Quote Originally Posted by adasterix View Post
    It sounds to me like you're almost there. You have a good trigger---the gliding---and an awareness, in your dream, that you just have to put your foot down to stop. I'd focus on this and try to recognize it when it's happening---"Hey, I'm gliding. I must be dreaming. What else can I do?"

This is not very much different than my "Ah man, my legs aren't working. It's OK, I can just do the Gumby thing. Hey, I wonder what else I can do." The first two steps are automatic. The third is just the realization that I've been here before.

Best of luck. And remember, if your dreams ain't happy it's your own damn fault. (If you think about it, that's true no matter how you dream or where they come from.)
    Yes, I suppose...if I could just remember in the dreams that gliding isn't real. :-)