Thread: Free Hosting

Default Free Hosting

Does anyone know of a good web host which offers a free tier? I need mysql and php support. A VPS would certainly be preferred but idk that ill find that for frees.

If not what are my cheapest options?

Thanks in advance,
    - rawr1

rawr1...

If I may give you some input here:

Wrong Approach...

the question regarded at first should be: What do you need to host.
    How important is up-time / maybe backed up by SLA
    How SECURE must the hosting be
    How much Traffic do you expect...
    How important is speed?
    and last but certainly not least: how much redundancy do you want (Backup solutions, back up fail-save mirrored servers, etc..)

Once you know all the answers you should have a solid spec-sheet for what you're after...

Free doesn't always cut it.
    If it's even remotely business related, consider that reliability, security & speed are far more important in a webhosting than most people would give it any credit for.
    You need to consider why some services are free - respectively how they're funded and how they're supported. most often there is NO up time guarantee, no support at all (if it's down, it's down for as long as they care - it's definitely never a top priority... and you can't ask anyone about it)... Same goes for security breaches (usually free services are very low on the security end and offer only basic stuff here).
    Also Service longevity.. if a company behind a free service deems it had enough of it (happens) they're often likely (and quick about it) to shut the service down... which will lead to problems & work (Wasted time) for yourself...

Usually with any kind of service the old maxim of "you get what you pay for" is still very much true in the age of everything-internet.

Also consider that there's a vast number of hosting services out there, anywhere from excellent to down right fraudulent.

The other aspect to consider is that many (not all though) of the free services come either heavily loaded with ads or some serious restrictions.
    Other free hosters don't allow commercial content, or no "graphic R Rated stuff" (actually even many of the commercial hosts have such limitations).

None the less here's a few
    Cheap:
    godaddy.com (I've had a few sites there a while ago, and they were quite good... would use them again).
    at the moment (they do this often though) they have some sale going on and you're able to get the economy (lowest) hosting for something like 3$/month. which is pretty cheap in my book.

Free:
    Free VPS: Free VPS with Cloud Hosting
    Free hosting: Comparison of free web hosting services - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by rawr1 View Post
    Does anyone know of a good web host which offers a free tier? I need mysql and php support. A VPS would certainly be preferred but idk that ill find that for frees.

If not what are my cheapest options?

Thanks in advance,
    - rawr1
    As said before free doesn't always cut it. You tend to pay for what you get.

But you may try this http://www.vps.me/features