Thread: drawing comics

Default drawing comics

I love to draw, so much that i have a fantasy comic in the works, witch is going fine. I would love to give you guys a link, but i don't think you can understand norwigan.

However, i'm also making a script for another comic which my friend will draw and it's a wersten. The problem is that i haven't seen that much wersten movies enough to get the sense, the feeling of a wersten, which i need you make a good story.

In my hole lives, i have only seen 3 wersten movies. "Young Guns", "The good the bad and the ugly", and "once upon a time in the west"

What i need is sugstestions of good wersten movies. You don't need to say where i can find them, but the names.

And it has to be good!!

Thank you.

I've made some short comics with a cat...They aren't on the interwebs though...Maybe I'll make some when I get a tablet

I'm not any kind of an expert, but I've got a few that I like:

More modern westerns in no particular order:

Deadwood - this is an HBO TV series, not a movie, but it's brilliant. Ran three seasons. On the grim and gritty side as well as stunningly foul-mouthed, but aside from that some of the best dialog I've seen on television.

Silverado - this is probably one of the more recent movies that is sort of a straight western, not deconstructionist, just an adventure story on a big canvas.

Unforgiven - dark and dirty type western.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - maybe not an iconic western, but much fun.

Older westerns:

The Searchers - a John Wayne movie ought to be in any viewing list and I liked him in this one more than most, as I thought he really put a bit of acting into it rather than just playing John Wayne. Really great scenery, too.

High Noon - Western on a time clock. Gary Cooper is really excellent in this movie that hits on really basic western themes of personal responsibility.

Any of the Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns (such as 'The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly' which you saw, 'A Fistful of Dollars', 'For a Few Dollars More', and 'High Plains Drifter') are also highly recommended for their particular take on the genre.

Seems like I should have a bigger list than this. Perhaps something else will come to me later or others will chime in. Also worth looking at if you can find it is a comic book from DC comics called 'Jonah Hex: Two Gun Mojo'. It was a limited series that was released in trade paperback and the artist (Timothy Truman) really knows how to portray a western in comic book form.
    Last edited by Trevor; 09-Dec-2008 at 23:55. Reason: missed a letter

Uh, Trevor had a good list but I want to add:

Tombstone- I will watch that movie anytime, Val Kilmer and Kurt Russell stand out in an all star cast.

3:10 to Yuma - new or old version (new one has Russell Crowe)

The Quick and the Dead.- Lot's of shooting and is a little more fanciful than a straight western. Gene Hackman, Sharon Stone, Russell Crowe.

A Man Called Horse- Sir Richard Harris. Is a violent flick.

I'm not a big fan of westerns, but even so, I would recommend The Outlaw Josey Wales, and second the suggestion of Deadwood.

If you're looking for something a little less traditional, I would suggest the television show Firefly, and the sequel movie, Serenity, as they are basically a western set in space. For a less traditional comic western, I highly recommend Preacher, as long as you don't mind vulgar language and violence.

I suggest any Clint Eastwood or John Wayne movies and also I suggest watching a western call They Call Me Trinity which is a old 70s spaghetti westerns movie.