Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question for IC Women

Default Question for IC Women

So here is a thing I am noticing:

Most of the time I am aware that I am about to wet myself. I have maybe five seconds' or so warning--nowhere near enough time to make it to a women's room or even to my own bathroom. But what I'm writing about is: when I try to stop the flow--you know, contracting the muscles as I've always done--it just feels as if...I don't know how to describe this...I can't get the door to shut. The urine is going to keep coming no matter what I do: I feel as if I'm doing everything I was doing before but it's just having no result whatsoever.

Is this a normal sort of sensation? I don't know what I am supposed to be feeling. All I know is that I have no control.

Kegels don't work. Pills don't work. And pads are not going to help with some of the times this occurs: it's just too much. Or my position is too awkward: I might be lounging in some twisted position where a pad would not be positioned properly to catch anything. That's why I am using diapers. They work.

Well, I'm not a woman, but this happens to me all the time, and with fecal incontinence as well. Depending on which doctor I'm visiting they usually either posit that it's a weakness in the nerves or a weakness in the sphincter muscles. But the result is the same.

I guess maybe it is the same for men. I didn't realize the muscle structures were the same.

Quote Originally Posted by ICkaraokegirl View Post
    I guess maybe it is the same for men. I didn't realize the muscle structures were the same.
    It's just less common in men, but,not to get too graphic, I have other deformities in that regard as well,

Most structures are shared between males and females. During development structures change into either the male or female version. Muscles are the same just thigs are moved around.

- - - Updated - - -

As far as your sensation being normal... It depends on the type of incontinence / underlying mechanism. People with urge or stress incontinence are probably pretty familiar with the sensation you are describing.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverSmall View Post
    Most structures are shared between males and females. During development structures change into either the male or female version. Muscles are the same just thigs are moved around.

- - - Updated - - -

As far as your sensation being normal... It depends on the type of incontinence / underlying mechanism. People with urge or stress incontinence are probably pretty familiar with the sensation you are describing.
    My IC has not been diagnosed yet; I am seeing the doc for the first time next Friday. Maybe I'll get a few more solid answers in the next few weeks...

Definantely

- - - Updated - - -

Your rapid onset seems odd to me. If I may, how old are you?

As mentioned already, this sensation is pretty common, as long as your bladder, sphincter or your lower body in general are not paralyzed or damaged.

It varies a lot, in extreme cases of urge incontinence it's often referred to as an very awkward pain. If it's bothering you a lot, it's also possible to counteract this eitherway with an Botox Injection, which may aswell fix the incontinence symptoms at all or at least to some degree... though it could also paralyze the bladder, as a bad side effect. Therefore you'd end up with intermittent self-catheterization. Otherwise antimuscarinic drugs, also called anticholinergic drugs, which are basically for spasms of any kind.
    In any case, you need to talk to your doc about that stuff.

Best wishes for your doctors appointment anyway!
    Last edited by daLira; 20-Jul-2013 at 01:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurepas View Post
    It's just less common in men, but,not to get too graphic, I have other deformities in that regard as well,
    It is less common in men but I have had I have had it most of my life. To go a long with it I have an abnormally small bladder. Once it starts there is no shutting it off.

Yup, once it starts you can't shut it off. Really sucks!
    Please keep us posted as to what the doctor says.
    But, remember this is not the total you, just the sucky thing you are going thru right now, and I am sure it has really got a hold on you, but, only for the moment.
    Be strong...you can survive this whole thing.