Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Musicbox

Default Musicbox

I wonder.... Does anyone other than me like old fashioned music boxes?

As long as I can remember I have been fascinated by these simple mechanical musical devices.

I have alway found their sound to be mesmerising. I don't really know if this has its origin in a musicbox hanging above my crib (or for that matter if I even had one as a baby) I do know that I could quite easily drift off each night listening to such a lullaby.

I do own a couple of music boxes (no baby ones yet) and would probably like to collect a couple more.

RainbowShy

I do! I love music boxes. For some reason, I've always had such a fascination for them.

I have a plush baby sea-horse lovable, which plays nursery rhymes.

My wife and I have a number of music boxes. My two favorite ones were my grandmothers, a person I dearly loved. She had a large wooden music box, probably made in the 1800's as it plays tunes similar to Mozart and Haydn, and was made in Germany. It has a brass cylinder and a crank. She also had a porcelain powder puff music box that plays "When I Grow to Old to Dream". She used to play if for me when I stayed over at her house and was put down for a nap. Occasionally I'll play it, think of her and wish she was still alive and a part of my life. We named our most recent dog after her. I know....a little strange, but it was a way of honoring her and keeping her in my memory.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    My wife and I have a number of music boxes. My two favorite ones were my grandmothers, a person I dearly loved. She had a large wooden music box, probably made in the 1800's as it plays tunes similar to Mozart and Haydn, and was made in Germany. It has a brass cylinder and a crank. She also had a porcelain powder puff music box that plays "When I Grow to Old to Dream". She used to play if for me when I stayed over at her house and was put down for a nap. Occasionally I'll play it, think of her and wish she was still alive and a part of my life. We named our most recent dog after her. I know....a little strange, but it was a way of honoring her and keeping her in my memory.
    I so want to get one of those with a long brass cylinder in it, they sound so amazing. I've seen some on the Internet but they are really quite expensive.

I have a simba plush modified for me with a twist music box inside. Sometimes i like to fall asleep to it. It is way mesmerizing.

My absolute favourite TV programme when I was about 3 years old was "Camberwick Green" (and the sequel Trumpton). Each episode began with a different character emerging from a music box.

I love the slow-pace of children's TV in the late-70s to early-80s! Just time how long a single person's name is displayed on the title sequence! I remember the first time I went to the USA in the mid-80s and finding it hilarious at how credits would scroll up on American TV faster than it was possible to read them! And how a TV programme would just stop without warning and go to adverts! There was no cut-screen with "End of Part One" or "Part Two" to inform you that the adverts were about to start or the programme was resuming.

Now UK TV is exactly the same -- fast-paced, loud, attention-grabbing with no pause where you might (heaven forbid) be so under-stimulated that you change channel...

Ahhh, and I doubt a pre-school children's TV programme of today would feature an episode where Windy Miller (the man who lives in the village windmill) gets so hammered on strong cider that he passes out!

Anyway, here's the musical box from the title sequence that I dreamt of owning when I was a toddler:

Quote Originally Posted by ozbub View Post
    I so want to get one of those with a long brass cylinder in it, they sound so amazing. I've seen some on the Internet but they are really quite expensive.
    I think The San Francisco Music Box Company makes them and yes, they are expensive. My grandmother's is precious to me as is the powder puff box. I did buy a music box from SMC for my wife that is a Perfumere, I think. It's porcelin and has four doors which swing open. They have places to put a sachet. This particular music box plays Rachmaninoff's Theme on Paganini, one of my favorites. It too was expensive.

RainbowShy

I love this the best. This was my favorite ride at Disney World, so you can see why I adore this as a music box. It's so cute, lol.